VOGONS

First post, by BurnedPinguin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Vogons, yesterday I started a project that I thought should be easy enough. A Windows 95 Live CD. The way I did this is I installed 95 on a regular IMG file, copied the installation to an ISO, and made a diskette that made a ram drive, and copied the installation from the CD to the ram drive, then I made the ISO bootable, using that same diskette. This process works in theory however when it's all copied, running win.com from the ram drive gives an error (picture below): "While initializing device VFBACKUP: VFBACKUP could not load VFD.VXD. Please run setup again". I have tried the following things to fix this:

• Replace vfd.vxd and vfbackup.vxd with good copies
• Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 150164
• Adding smartdrive to autoexec
• Using the MSDOS.SYS from the 95 install on the boot diskette (This fixed an error of "Cannot find or load krnl386" and led us to this vfd.vxd error)
• Autoexec PATH variable to c:\, c:\windows, c:\windows\system
• Change the source installation from the img file to use 16 bit drivers for everything related to the disk.

Any help?

Attachments

• Filename
    ff.png
    File size
    11.14 KiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 3, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I do remember the same kind of issues with the Windows 95 on 2 floppy disks(2.44MB each) project when booting it in UniPCemu?

Author of the UniPCemu emulator.
UniPCemu Git repository
UniPCemu for Android, Windows, PSP, Vita and Switch on itch.io

Reply 2 of 3, by Nunoalex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

could someone find a cure for this ?
I'm having the same issue

sometimes, not always, windows will not start and hang on this error
if I ctrl+alt+del and choose step by step confirmation in the "windows did not start" menu and choose "N" in the dblbuffer.sys seems to fix it (until the next boot)

but sometimes just restarting the PC and choosing "normal " also fixes it... the error is random

thank you

Reply 3 of 3, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Could have something to do with timing.
I highly doubt that Win95 was ever tested to run all from RAM.

Guessing that something is not having enough time to fully initialize before the next thing that requires it to be initialized starts loading.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK