VOGONS

First post, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I finally opened up my arms to accept LCD....I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. What happened? I was sucker punched to the floor... 😢

Ok if you guys can help me answer questions by the end of the day I'll be happy. If not I'm probably going to do something really stupid and get burned again.

I bought a 19" 8ms (yes 8!) Samsung 915n LCD. I will admit it blew away quality wise. HOWEVER......I was lied to. I was told it was analog/digital, however it is only analog! 😒 I finnaly convinced myself to let that go...however there is another problem related to the analog...the damned thing won't autosync correctly. I am forced to hit an auto button on the lcd which then "tries" to sync. So far it always worked....however it failed once at 640x480 and I couldn't adjust the missing part of the screen! That annoys me greatly.

I am told digital LCD's remember their autosync configs and they don't require a button. I also hear they are faster (less ghosting) and have better quality. Is this true? Does anyone own a digital lcd? I wish to know because getting rid of a 8ms display for something that might not be as good is unsettling. However digital is supposed to be faster due to no conversion taking place.

Would a 17-19" Digital LCD with 12ms be better than an Analog 19" with 8ms? Would it be worth the switch? Will my autosync troubles me down the crapper with the switch?

I've looked over google and found mixed results but the majority say I would be better off with a digital for many reasons (and I tend to lean this direction). I own a Geforce 6800 GT so the DVI port is there...

Reply 1 of 13, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Alirghty! What do you guys think of this!

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/Search … 18288&CatId=170

It's apparently very similar to my monitor but with better screen resizing and syncing and its digital! Now I'm happier....still tired from lack of sleep yesterday but happier! 😁

Reply 2 of 13, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

First, if by digital you mean it uses DVI instead of VGA to communicate between the monitor and video card, then you don't need to "sync" anything because the video card tells the monitor about specific pixels. With analog (VGA) on the other hand, the signals are designed to drive the electron guns in a CRT (as opposed to LCD) monitor as they paint the image on the screen. When you hook up an LCD to a VGA port, it has to digitize the signal and guess (to some extent) what parts of the signal are talking about which pixels.

You might try looking for some test screens that are designed specifically for use with LCD auto-adjustment features. nVidia has such a screen built into its drivers.

If you can't find one then you'll have to use manual monitor control adjusments to do the best you can (and then maybe use the video drivers' adjustment controls if all else fails, but only use those as a last resort because they are more limited).

Personally, my opinion is that if you're going to go LCD then make sure you have a video card with a DVI output and an LCD screen with a DVI input. It saves a lot of hassle.

On the other hand, LCD screens I've used seem to be pretty good at digitizing/decoding the VGA signal if you have some good test screens and a little patience.

Reply 3 of 13, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, I bought a BenQ FP931 at futureshop. My Opinion?

It's all that I need! 😁 19" 16ms and it's digital. You think the timing different would matter but it doesn't. In fact this monitor has better contrast (at least to me it does). It also autosyncs and resizes PERFECTLY. No sizing needs to be done on my end.

I put dosbox into scale2x and it looks just fine to me. 🤣

Reply 4 of 13, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have two TFTs, one with DVI and the other not (both LG models). I couldn't really tell of any quality difference between them. For the analogue model, I loaded the appropriate display driver and this together with PnP meant I didn't do anything at all lto set picture size/width up. DVI is perhaps overrated but for a purist I'm sure it's be only thing to own and use 😀

Reply 5 of 13, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The whole problem I had was that the sales clerk lied to me (probably out of ignorance) telling me it was digital. One of the main reasons for dumping my friggin cicero CRT was due to it's random sizing problems....sometimes when I started up windows the screen would be a couple hairs out of monitor range...EVERY TIME! Not enough for a big problem, but enough to piss me off everytime I boot up. Couple that with dosbox moving out of range randomly (sierra games are hard to play when the menu dissapears halfway).

This LCD is digital thus has auto-resizing and doesn't fail....the corners are tight and perfect without any black borders. Thats the way it should be! 😏 That feature alone makes me praise LCD technology...at least the Digital portion of it.

Reply 6 of 13, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My LCD, which uses D-SUB (VGA) instead of DVI, has an auto-adjust mode which gets everything aligned perfectly every time. (Much better than the auto-adjust mode on the CRT. That said, the CRT is broken, so who knows if that feature is working properly.)

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 7 of 13, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The samsung didn't....it only had an auto button, which failed at least 3 times during the few hours of testing. For the price I paid I would much like to own what "I" want not what I was tricked into buying. Thats a lesson for all to learn from me.

You know how I knew I wanted the BenQ this time? I went into windows control panel and screwed with the resolution/refresh rates to see how the resize fared. It worked, but then I was told it was in analog (which made me wonder what digital looked like) Then I had them open up the box of the one they gave me to show me the DVI port...I wanted to be damned sure it was there this time. I also made sure I had a cord (which it didn't come with but I foolishly bought with the samsung escapades anyway..go figure)

Added bonus: I can use my desk for writing on now! 😊

Reply 8 of 13, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Despite the fact that the auto-adjust on my LCD works well, I wouldn't recommend buying from this company (NEC/Mitsubishi). They apparently broke contract with Mitsubishi by stopping the manufacture of the CRT monitors (ho ho, wonder why), and so now Mitsubishi is breaking off and will no longer be partnered with NEC's monitor division. (This could be a serious problem, since NEC apparently is not doing so well in the finance department.) Apparently, the CRTs were some of the highest-grossing products that NEC/Mitsubishi made, which really makes you wonder why they stopped making them...'till you talk to me. Anyway, I'm glad you enjoy your new monitor. I think I'll be getting a new ViewSonic CRT soon to replace this piece of junk.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 9 of 13, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I love my Sony Trinitron E500 21". Been going strong for the last 3 years with no sign of failure.

Sony VCR/DVD
Sony TV
Sony Monitor

😁

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 11 of 13, by ribbon13

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Mitsubishi were the best CRT made. got a link to where you learned that Sno?

Samsung are some of the best flat panels made, and the specs for all their panels are readily available. sucks that where you got it didn't tell you its true specs.

The Hyundai/ImageQuest L90D+ is pretty awesome. Most people on AnandTech will tell you to go with the a Dell 2005FPW

Reply 13 of 13, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I didn't like that damned samsung....the difference between digital and analog is fully noticeable for me. I also hate the little 50-50 hit or miss auto size button.

My BenQ blows that thing away and it is slower! 🤣 Surpisingly enough...I'm getting into a mode of not liking CRT monitors anymore. I understand the love for these things. My eyes can rest and it is so clear. I have to use a small 15" CRT at work and its torture compared to my 19" LCD. 😮

Actually my work computer is the exact opposite end of my rig. I get to have a supreme contrast everyday! 😳 Hell, I even get to use a mouse with no scroll wheel (one of those IBM deals with the scroll lever...doesn't work though)