VOGONS

First post, by Sonny Bonds

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

I am the newest member to this forum, and would like to ask a question regarding my recent issues with DOS version 6.22....When I install DOS everything goes very smoothly, I then install a game i.e. (King's Quest 6) even that runs fine, as it should. However, upon turning the computer off and then turning it back on the next day, it will not boot up to the command promt. Also, when I use a boot disk to get to thw command promt, it won't let me edit the AUTOEXEC.BAT or CONFIG.SYS files. It also won't let me format a floppy disk. Plus it comes up with all these errors such as my sound card driver is bad or missing and things of that nature.

The system I am using is to to play vintage games from Sierra On-Line.
it is:

-Acer Acros pentium 133MHz with a turbo option, and 36Mb of RAM
-Sound Blaster AWE 64 and a Roland MPU-IPC-T hooked up to a Roland MT-32 Sound Module.

any advice you could give me about this would be greatly appreciated.
thanks very much,

Sincerely,

Sonny Bonds..... aka Dustin

Reply 1 of 8, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hello.

If I have understood you correctly, you want to run ms-dos games natively, right?

Under ms-dos you have to load drivers almost for everything, sound card included. And I don't know if SB AWE 64 is supported under ms-dos anymore. That would pose a big problem unless you could fall back to regular SB compatibility somehow.

Gee. Don't know whether this post could be placed under DOS section or not.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 2 of 8, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

iirc dos 6.2 came on more than 1 floppy 1 was the boot disk the other was the dos disk containing all the dos programs that wernt memory resident
edit.exe may of been 1 of them
you will have to try to copy edit.exe to your boot disk if the dos\ directory isnt on your hdd

at the dos prompt type "dir *.exe" to see if edit.exe is there (dont include quotation marks)

you could try this make a backup of your boot disk beforehand
"diskcopy a: b:" (dont include quotation marks)
works even if you only have 1 floppy if that doesnt work type "diskcopy a: a:" (dont include quotation marks)

the type "type autoexec.bat" to view it + write it down

then type "copy con autoexec.bat" (dont include quotation marks)
and type in what you want i think its "ctrl Z" to end (dont include quotation marks)

Reply 3 of 8, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

If I have understood you correctly, you want to run ms-dos games natively, right?

Under ms-dos you have to load drivers almost for everything, sound card included. And I don't know if SB AWE 64 is supported under ms-dos anymore.

Well I remember using dos drivers for Awe64.
It was a WinME machine, I put them on a boot disk with the cdrom and mouse driver set and if troublesome it worked at last.
I'm not sure and I can't check it out for you now, sonny, but it must have been these 2 files 🙄

ctcmbbs.exe
(Creative PnP Configuration Manager) for use with DOS 6.x and Windows 3.1x
and
sbbasic.exe
(Sound Blaster 16/SB32/AWE32 Basic Disk for DOS/Windows 3.1) yes, it works with awe64 too 😎

See if you can get them and experiment about with the mixer and diagnose utils 😜
I guess this is the best option for you.
Hth

Reply 4 of 8, by _aLfa_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, if your machine doesn't boot the next time you install MS-DOS 6.22 then you installed it incorrectly or you have some problem with your DOS disks.

You should have 3 disks. Insert the first one and make sure that the BIOS is set to run first by floppy. After the computer is booted and it is reading the disk, you should exit the setup of MS-DOS and you should type: fdisk

In fdisk you must delete all the partitions you have there, and create a MS-DOS primary partition wich should be FAT16 if I'm not mistaken. The fdisk will run some tests and after the partition is created you should have it as active by default.

Now you exit fdisk and type: format c: /q/s
This is just for debug purposes. This will quick format your primary partition and create a boot sector or boot table so you can reboot your computer without having to put the floppy there.

Now reboot the computer. It should boot to a very minimal MS-DOS 6.22 command prompt. So minimal that the only thing you have in drive c: if you type 'dir' is the COMMAND.COM itself. If by any means you couldn't see this file, then you have some problem with your BIOS/HDD.

If you could see that file, then you put the first floppy from the MS-DOS 6.22 disks in the drive, and type a:setup.
From now on you are on your own 😀
Good luck.

"I only know that I know nothing..."

Reply 5 of 8, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

maybe you have some bootsector virus protection enabled in the bios
that prevents writing a proper boot record.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 6 of 8, by Sonny Bonds

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you all for your advice 😁 I was able to make it work by disabling the virus protection in the BIOS.

Thank you Qbix 😁 All my best to everyone and a happy easter to all.

Sincerely,

Dustin

Reply 7 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't see this prob much since most enthusiasts disable that option in the bios. In older bios's it would actually show you an error on the screen from the BIOS stating that you had it enabled.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 8 of 8, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I usually leave it enabled when I'm not installing operating systems because virii used to like to infect your boot sector. These days viruses tend to attack on the operating system level, since desktop OSes are much more complex than they used to be. Doesn't hurt to play it safe though - you just have to remember to turn it off when you need to write to it 😉