VOGONS

Reply 20 of 21, by LSS10999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A little update.

A while ago I installed the latest GenAud driver for bringing audio out of Win/OS2 but I still could not get any audio output.

The OS/2 part of the driver loaded just fine and recognized the UniAud device. No errors reported.

On the Win/OS2 side, however, the driver is registered, but for some reasons Win/OS2 doesn't seem to correctly recognize it. Audio files refuse to be played, complaining about no wave drivers present, and GenAud entries appear as unknown in the "Drivers" list.

I haven't tried the other Win/OS2 audio driver yet. On the other hand there's a commercial DTA driver from eComStation that I don't know if I could obtain with an ArcaOS license...

And by the way... I did find some documentations about setting up Timidity as MIDI output. I'm not sure if that'll work system-wide as well as within Win/OS2... after all... I still have a lot to learn about OS/2 as well as ArcaOS...

Reply 21 of 21, by martiniturbide

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello.

Arca Noae calls the Win-OS2 Audio driver with this new name "DTAudio". Yes, they have the license and they allow users that belongs to the "Beta User Program" to try it out. I recommend you to contact Arca Noae and request that driver for you to try it out. DTAudio works fine for audio / wav support on Win-OS2, but not for MIDI as far as I know.

ArcaOS is good for retrogaming, but the only thing missing is the DOS VDM audio support (some Sound Blaster Emulator) that can work with the UniAud driver installed on ArcaoS. But there is a workarround to use DOSBox that uses sound via SDL and UniAud.
There is even an USB gamepad experimental driver for the DOS VDM, so you can use an USB gamepad for DOS games, and the game thinks it uses the joystick port.

Regards