VOGONS

First post, by SortingHat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So my host PC is a Dell Inspirion I7 8700 WITH a GEFORCE 1060 1030 2GB graphics card: according to CPU ID.

Will upgrading it in any way allow me to run the Pentium II CPU's without severe stuttering or is it more on the side of the emulator itself that's the problem?
For Christmas I was considering upgrading with Dad helping me as I almost have the money saved up as we do old stuff on PCEM a lot (including a really good interactive bible program) and I can run all the way up to latest Pentium Overdive MMX using an ISO or with a live CD I can run it up to a bit lower and I'm doing it on Windows 2000PRO: 😲 Will an I9 allow me to run Pentium II any better or am I better upgrading to a bit better I7 then the one I have? For example on the latest Pentium MMX the bible software the loud song will stutter a bit when playing it's a bit annoying trumpet intro but lowering the settings the stutters B gone.

I also have a GEFORCE 1060 so will ignoring CPU upgrades be better and I should just aim for a better graphics card and save more? They are 1,000 dollars now on Amazon (or more) https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Nivida+geforce+gra … ef=nb_sb_noss_2
Should I ignore upgrading my computer entirely and perhaps this might be the better route for me and get rid of my I7 8700 Desktop next year when
I will definitely have the money for sure? How well does it seem this can handle PCEM?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B098GC8B6M/ … 7EJKQMY9O&psc=1

Edit: According to Windows Performance which I just discovered when using Pentium II MY cpu is not being used more then 14 percent though on Windows 2000 it goes to a blue screen upon loading if I use the Pentium II gigabyte GA (Slot 1) but on Windows 98 it stutters even though my CPU usage isn't really going up that much.

Reply 2 of 15, by SortingHat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-10-21, 09:28:

Windows 9X games run way better with DOSBox-X.

This is an emulator side "problem" (accuracy vs speed).

Of course native is the way to go, if possible.

Overclocking my I7 a tiny bit (within safe ranges) seem sto have helped a lot when logging into Windows 98 which used to stutter like hell but was fine when playing games at these settings: but what do you mean by emulator side problem? My PC isn't the issue here?

I am on PCEM with Windows 98 on Pentium II 233 with an overclock of Core Clock 606 and 529 memory clock yet my temp is at 39C for my computer playing Land Before Time Activity Center. Before I overclocked for some reason the ONLY game that stutters is Logical Journey of the Zoombini's yet games which require more graphics don't stutter at all.

Reply 3 of 15, by SortingHat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-10-21, 09:28:

Windows 9X games run way better with DOSBox-X.

This is an emulator side "problem" (accuracy vs speed).

Of course native is the way to go, if possible.

Oh and thanks for showing I'm not shadowbanned! I was worried I triggered something due to the 'sensitive' culture the slightest thing can set off the digital smokes on the web these days and they realllllllllllly blare at 120 decibels of wonderful music when they censor you.

Reply 4 of 15, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SortingHat wrote on 2021-10-21, 09:39:

I was worried I triggered something due to the 'sensitive' culture the slightest thing can set off the digital smokes on the web these days and they realllllllllllly blare at 120 decibels of wonderful music when they censor you.

Yeah, people tend to get upset easily these days.
They seemingly loose the skills of diplomacy, also. 😞

But don't worry, from my experience this usually doesn't happen in this place. Vogons is quite down-to-earth, fair and forgiving.
Unless someone acts like a total d*ck, insults people for the own enjoyment or uses heavy ghetto language all day.
Then maybe. But other places won't allow this, either, so..

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 5 of 15, by Xanarki

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Contrary to what the other person said, in my experience, PCem runs Windows 9x games better than DOSBox-X. At least, games that requires a 3D card. I find PCem's Voodoo2 emulation better than DOSBox-X's Voodoo emulation. But everyone has different experiences.

But to your original question: Upgrading your graphics card will do very little to improve PCem's performance, since the program is dependent on your CPU mainly. Simply put, if you want more speed out of PCem, you need to get a better CPU. Preferably one that has good single-thread performance (most of Intel's).

It's also worth noting that PCem's development is inactive right now. The team at 86box (a spin-off fork of PCem) is active though, and are making progress every day it seems.

Reply 6 of 15, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've started preferring PCEm to Dosbox due to pcem supporting gamewizard32 very well. The cheats and save states are really quite useful to speed up my game time now that I'm an old man with a full-time job...

Reply 7 of 15, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Xanarki wrote on 2021-10-29, 21:36:

Contrary to what the other person said, in my experience, PCem runs Windows 9x games better than DOSBox-X. At least, games that requires a 3D card. I find PCem's Voodoo2 emulation better than DOSBox-X's Voodoo emulation. But everyone has different experiences.

Oh yes, PCem is way more accurate. But DOSBox-X trades accuracy for speed.

Reply 8 of 15, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-10-30, 07:07:

Oh yes, PCem is way more accurate. But DOSBox-X trades accuracy for speed.

Though the official DOSBox was still quicker on my Pi 4 than DOSBox-X. ^^

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 9 of 15, by SortingHat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

But to your original question: Upgrading your graphics card will do very little to improve PCem's performance, since the program is dependent on your CPU mainly. Simply put, if you want more speed out of PCem, you need to get a better CPU. Preferably one that has good single-thread performance (most of Intel's).

It's also worth noting that PCem's development is inactive right now. The team at 86box (a spin-off fork of PCem) is active though, and are making progress every day it seems.

You ignored my question: I asked about upgrading my CPU which is my topic title.

Reply 12 of 15, by Fusion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SortingHat wrote on 2021-11-04, 06:23:

You ignored my question: I asked about upgrading my CPU which is my topic title.

He did answer you, single threaded CPU performance is the most important. GPU does not affect PCem performance.

Pentium III @ 1.28Ghz - Intel SE440xBX-2 - 384MB PC100 - ATi Radeon DDR 64MB @ 200/186 - SB Live! 5.1 - Windows ME

Reply 13 of 15, by SortingHat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Fusion wrote on 2021-11-26, 19:31:
SortingHat wrote on 2021-11-04, 06:23:

He did answer you, single threaded CPU performance is the most important. GPU does not affect PCem performance.

Mine is an I78700 300 series so what would be a good I9 set that is compatible? We used to have Fry's to go and they'd be a great help but not anymore!!!! (Begs mentally for Microcenters to come up to Oregon)

Reply 14 of 15, by Fusion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Basically you're looking for a chip with the highest base and turbo boost core clocks. Oh, and at least something with 8 cores so you can up the thread count for voodoo emulation.

Pentium III @ 1.28Ghz - Intel SE440xBX-2 - 384MB PC100 - ATi Radeon DDR 64MB @ 200/186 - SB Live! 5.1 - Windows ME

Reply 15 of 15, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Going overkill with the cooling probably doesn't hurt either, so it actually stays on the turbo.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.