VOGONS

First post, by buckrogers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

New to the DOS scene. Some confusion over soundcards. Any answers to my questions would be greatly appreciated.

From reading other threads, I gather that:

1. ISA cards are best for compatibility, and in particular, the soundblaster 16 is the most commonly supported sound card.
2. A Roland or Yamaha daughter card is sonic nirvana.

Questions:
a. What is eluding me is the difference between a soundcard, and what a daughter cards adds. Midi capability?
b. Do many late 80's ealry and mid ninties DOS games support the daughter cards mentioned.
c. Will splashing out on a a daughtercard result in much better sound quality or extra contant for many games?
d. Is a Yamaha SW20-PC a cheaper alternative to a SB16 and daughter card?
e. The SB 16 seems to be available in many revisions. Is there a difference ebtween them?

Reply 1 of 15, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A "daughtercard" is usually a General MIDI card. GM was designed in 1991 by Roland and a couple other synthesizer manufacturers, and the first games to really use it didn't appear before 1992. It was better received than CD audio (for obvious technical/mechanical reasons) and remained in fairly wide use until sound cards went all PCM around 1997. Some publishers really made the most of it (Sierra, Origin, Falcom...). For the record, many Japanese game companies are still using GM as their primary sound format.

The catch is that you need a really GM-compliant device, not some Creative or Microsoft softsynth crap. The choice between Roland and Yamaha comes down to which type of sound you prefer (a Yamaha piano doesn't sound like a Roland piano, etc). Soon after GM specification was published, both manufacturers also defined their own set of GM-compatible extensions: GS and ED for Roland, XG for Yamaha. Those extensions were rarely used in games -- especially true for XG (the most notable exception has to be Final Fantasy 7).

Reply 2 of 15, by buckrogers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK. I follow. Daughtercards are for midi sound support.

Although XG extensions are not used in games, do many games support the yamaha spec?

Is it worth the cash for a Yamaha DB50XG?

Reply 4 of 15, by amano

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If you want to have sound in games before 1992 an adlib compatible sound card is a must. Many older games and a number of later ones!) just support soundblaster or adlib, so a SB is probably what you want.

If you want to play Sierra/Lucasarts games only, a General Midi Card will - of course - offer better music for games.

Reply 5 of 15, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You asked about SB16 variations; some of them include:
There was the regular SB16: 16-bit ISA, non-PnP (you have to use jumpers to set IRQ, DMA, and base address)
There was the SB16 MCD (I think that's what it was called), which I had: same as the regular SB16, except with an on-board controller for connecting first-generation CD-ROM drives. It had like 3 or 4 different connectors on it because it was made before CD-ROM drives were fully IDE/ATAPI compatable.
Then there were the SB16 PnP's, which were ISA SB16's that let you set the IRQ/DMA/addr in software (or automatically by the BIOS) instead of having to use jumpers.
Finally, there's the PCI SB16 cards. I don't know much about these, but knowing Creative they're probably unstable.

I believe all of the SB16 series had Yamaha OPL3 chips for FM sound. I think they could also all support 16-bit digital samples at rates up to 44100Hz (or maybe even 48000 - I don't remember exactly). They were backwards-compatable (for the most part) with previous Sound Blaster cards, so you didn't need TSR drivers to make them work with DOS games. One exception is with the ISA and PCI PnP cards, which sometimes got assigned wacky settings by the BIOS that would cause compatability headaches with games that assumed standard settings were being used.

Reply 6 of 15, by buckrogers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmmm. I have one XG50 on the way, since it is only thing I could find that is GM compatible (at least according to Yamaha it is) that is on the same level as the Roland products.

With an SB16, is PnP preferrable or is the manual config. much better for compatibility?

Reply 7 of 15, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think they're about the same as long as you get an ISA one with an OPL3 chip (which I think they all have). With the non-PnP you won't have to fight with stupid configuration software though (but you may have to take the card out and move jumpers around to change settings for different games)

Reply 8 of 15, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The XG50, which I believe is the MIDI soundcard version of the MU50 expander, is perfectly compatible with the GM spec and gives satisfactory results compared to the Roland SC-55 (the GM and GS reference module). The XG50 is even somewhat compatible with the GS spec via its own TG300B mode (basically a mode that simply remaps GS banks to XG ones on the fly).

All in all, a good buy 😀

Reply 9 of 15, by buckrogers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes the Yamaha XG50 is as described. Although it cost me a small fortune. The whole "fight config. software" or play with jumper settings for each game is a worry. You make it sound like opening up the machine is easier than wrestling with software! No wonder the console market took off! The later series of SB16's, dubbed Vibra, were all PCI I believe, but I will stick with an ISA. All had the port for the daughtercard except a value edition release.

Reply 10 of 15, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Using the XG50DG with DOS software is very easy 😀 Just use the soundsetup of the game and choose General Midi at port 330 and you're done 😀 It works well even if you're in "pure" DOS and not in Windows.

My XG50DG and SB16 ISA works together in perfect harmony. I need no extra drivers except for the normal SB16 drivers.

And it sounds brilliant 😎 It's like a state-of-the-art Yamaha MIDI keyboard (without the keyboard) from the mid-90s.

Reply 11 of 15, by buckrogers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Freddo, I can hear that 90's synth sound already!

So do you run a PnP SB16 or one that you manual config. using jumpers?

Do you know what the Roland GS compaibility is like? I have read instrument mapping between the two can produce less than appealing results.

Reply 12 of 15, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As long as your mids are pure GS (read: designed for the SC-55), the XG50 will sound decent and more or less balanced (though some missing patches will be remapped to roughly "equivalent" XG instruments with various results).

Later Sound Canvas expanders (SC-88/88Pro/8820/8850) use their own variations of the GS spec with extended instruments and reverb modes, which are not supported by Yamaha devices.

Reply 13 of 15, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you want to play a game that sounds great on the XG50, play descent with Music set to General Midi. Although it doesn't use the XG specific patches, the XG50's lends itself beautifully to Descent's techno soundtrack.The bass line of the intro song alone will make it worth the purchase. 😀

Reply 14 of 15, by buckrogers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the help guys. I'm going with the SW60XG - not a daughterboard but a seperate card with essentially the same chipset as the 50XG - its a lot cheaper and will produce the same end result. Plus a Roland SCC-1.

I'll make compare the GM outputs of each and give you a verdict.

Reply 15 of 15, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm becoming extremely partial to the VDMSound/DOSBOX and a Creative Live or Audigy and some good soundfonts method. It is SO much easier than messing with old, huge, buggy, incompatible sound cards! I've found tons of huge soundfonts for free by searching around. They are almost certainly going to sound FAR better than a old ISA card with 1-4MB ROM samples. I mean, I have a few soundfonts between 50-80MB! I've also found a replica of the SCC-1 ROM set.

http://www.geocities.jp/shansoundfont/
http://www.personalcopy.com/home.htm
http://www.hammersound.net/

I am especially fond of Chorium and Taiji Generation 4 SE right now. Some aren't downloadable anymore on Hammersound, but you can find them usually on something like eMule.

I stumbled on this crazy file listing, but I can't figure out how to actually download anything.
http://dark.nafura.it/home/contents.asp?dov=/ … %20SOUNDS/MUSIC