VOGONS

First post, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I want to compile PCem v8.1 to run on win98, v9 cannot be compiled at least due to raw input for keyboard. May be pthreads is a problem too.
Is it possible? I don't know why official builds later that 0.41 don't run according to @ppgrainbow.
I plan to follow this guide https://pcem-emulator.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=597
Executables built with gcc 4.7.2 should run on win98 so either Sarah used a different compiler or there must be something else.
And why do i want to do that? I own an Athlon64 3000+ with a K8M890 mobo capable of running win98 but without DOS sound, may be it's enough to emulate a 286 or even a 386sx. Of course i could use DosBox or just install XP SP1 there but i'd like to try 98. Regards.

LZDoom, ZDoom32, ZDoom LE
RUDE (Doom)
Romero's Heresy II (Heretic)

Reply 1 of 8, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can compile up to v17 on GCC 4.7.2. It's the external dependencies that'll get you. In theory, v12 should be the last 98-friendly version to work with (for being the last non-Wx/SDL2 release).

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 8, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay thanks but AFAIK raw input required XP minimum and in win.c i see #define _WIN32_WINNT 0x0501, it was added in that commit for international keyboards.

RUDE (Doom)

Reply 4 of 8, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's one way to get the release to work. 😀

Direct3D crashes on this though, and these earlier PCems don't have good options for fullscreen video.

Attachments

• pcemme.png
    Filename
    pcemme.png
    File size
    14.18 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 8, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I forgot to ask about kernelex, that's a good alternative. I think v9 would be good enough.
I've just checked v16 and i don't see any options to configure the emulator itself in the GUI, i can only configure the VMs.

RUDE (Doom)

Reply 6 of 8, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi! Just like to say there's another workaround to get it running on a 98 system..

It's possible to install Virtual PC 4 for Windows on Win98.

Then, you can run a virtualized copy of 32-Bit Windows XP/7, which in turn runs PCem.
I know, it's a very unorthodox solution likely.

But if you've got a hot-rod Win98 PC.. It's an alternative to dual-booting, Windows 98 will still be in control. 😀

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 7 of 8, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jo22 wrote on 2022-02-04, 12:28:
Hi! Just like to say there's another workaround to get it running on a 98 system.. […]
Show full quote

Hi! Just like to say there's another workaround to get it running on a 98 system..

Then, you can run a virtualized copy of 32-Bit Windows XP/7, which in turn runs PCem.

But if you've got a hot-rod Win98 PC.. It's an alternative to dual-booting, Windows 98 will still be in control. 😀

VirtualPC won't virtualize on CPUs that old and it certainly won't have support for the Direct3D backend or SSE2 in a WinXP guest. IIRC VirtualPC on an A64 emulated at 486DX4 speeds which are completely unsuited for this.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 8 of 8, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote on 2022-02-04, 19:15:
Jo22 wrote on 2022-02-04, 12:28:
Hi! Just like to say there's another workaround to get it running on a 98 system.. […]
Show full quote

VirtualPC won't virtualize on CPUs that old and it certainly won't have support for the Direct3D backend or SSE2 in a WinXP guest. IIRC VirtualPC on an A64 emulated at 486DX4 speeds which are completely unsuited for this.

That old? Excuse me, but I ran the later versions, 2004/2007, on an AMD Athlon 64 X2 back then just fine . The host ran on XP.
Since v4 for PC platform is from 2001, I thought it should fit. 🤷‍♂️

Edit: Yes, right, Direct3D acceleration support is missing in Virtual PC, of course.
To make this thing work, VPC 2 or 3 for Mac and a Voodoo 1/2 card would be needed.
Except maybe, I suppose, if we count that MMX 'support' Windows 98/DirectX 6 as acceleration. 😉

Edit: I found an review that might be useful.

"[..] Technically speaking, VirtualPC is somewhere in the middle of VMware Workstation and Bochs. Some large parts of VirtualPC 4.03 for x86 are emulated, while other parts are virtualized. VirtualPC 5 under Macintosh is quite different from its x86 counterpart, as it is 100% emulator, as with Bochs. [..]"

Source: https://www.osnews.com/story/1054/review-vmwa … 32-vs-bochs-14/

Edit: Hm. It seems that the PC version was in an earlier stage still.
The later Virtual PC 200x did mainly emulate Real-Mode instructions and privileged instructions.
V86 and other things were virtualized in 200x.
This was apparent, if EMM386 was loaded. Doing so increased performance in DOS VMs.

Edit: Typos fixed. I'm fighting the spell correction on my smartphone. 😢

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//