VOGONS

is there any reason why would GTA 2 not work in PCem?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by koleq

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got Windows 98 SE booting in PCem and I got bin/cue files for GTA 2 on archive.org
I mount these and install the game but I can't launch the game because it says that I should insert the correct CD into the drive.

And please don't tell me to play the free version Rockstar released, I want the original and I wanted to test it on PCem before I burn it onto a CD.

I couldn't find a noCD crack either.

###HP Vectra VL 5/133 Series 4, D4644B###
CPU: Pentium 1 133Mhz
RAM: 96 MB EDO RAM (4x8MB, 2x32MB)
GPU: ELSA Victory 3DX (S3 Virge/DX 4MB)
Sound: Avance Logic ALS100 Plus+ REV 2.0
HDD: Seagate 20 GB (need to boot OnTrack)

Reply 1 of 3, by daerlnaxe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i know i encountered some problems with pcem but i don't know if it was with bin/cue. If you launch with a virtual optic drive it works ? If it is you can try with daemon tools directly under pcem.

An atlernative way is to use QEMU 6.2, i made a tutorial for 2dgames with win98, but sadly for you, in french. I didn't test GTA2 but baldur's gate turn perfectly and some other 2d games.

I'm not here to start a war between softwares, i tried a lot of solutions for win98 2d games, for the while QEMU seems to be better than PCEM on my machine a 4770k oc to 4.5Ghz for pcem and 86box. I don't have to oc my cpu for qemu and it works well even on my old laptop an i5 2.9Ghz.

Reply 2 of 3, by koleq

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I will burn the game onto a Rewritable CD and try on real hardware, I guess.

###HP Vectra VL 5/133 Series 4, D4644B###
CPU: Pentium 1 133Mhz
RAM: 96 MB EDO RAM (4x8MB, 2x32MB)
GPU: ELSA Victory 3DX (S3 Virge/DX 4MB)
Sound: Avance Logic ALS100 Plus+ REV 2.0
HDD: Seagate 20 GB (need to boot OnTrack)

Reply 3 of 3, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Closed. So called "abandonware" not supported here.
GTA2 uses safedisc which isn't supported by pcem. Daemon Tools might work, may need to make the CD drive D:.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline