VOGONS

First post, by handlingcfg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

is anyone tried to redirect usb-display adapters to windows 7-8 vm and get 60+ hz refresh rate?

the adapters in my country doesnt provide enough information, and generally says only win 7 and up support.
i would probably buy usb-vga adapter for my old crt, if it works on my windows 7 vm i would share on this topic.

edit:i tried generic usb-vga adapter that uses fresco Logic FL2000 chip, in windows 7 vm, it didnt work with vmware tools, no display output, vm tools completely blocks all display options as now (workstation v17)
also the adapter didnt work with my crt on 1600x1200,
and lastly on a lot of adapters support 1920x1080-60 hz , the higher resolution support is poor on these cheap adapters, even you get adapter supports 4096x2160-60 hz, it may not work on 1080-144 hz etc.

Last edited by handlingcfg on 2023-02-05, 11:48. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 3, by eddman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does it have to be USB? If you just want analog output there are better options.

AFAIK, such USB 2 or 3 video devices are not adapters, despite what many websites state; a USB port does not output video signals.

They are basically very rudimentary video "cards". Most, or perhaps all of them, do not have a video processor and leverage the CPU for processing.

You're better off getting an HDMI or Displayport to VGA converter.

Are you using a desktop PC? If you have an older video card that has a DVI port, it might be DVI-I, meaning it can output analog video natively. You'd only need a passive DVI to VGA adapter.

IINM, the last cards to support it were geforce 900 series, most of radeon 7000 series, and some of the 200 series.

Reply 2 of 3, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

These USB VGA converters are external frame buffers, essentially.
Many say on the box art that they aren't suited for games/videos, hinting that DirectX isn't supported.

What they're made for is controlling a secondary monitor.
Which can be used for displaying a power point presentation, controlling a projector, draw a window with status information (software for model trains, a water pump etc).

Edit: That being said, simple things may work, if the bandwidth allows it.
640x480 or 800x600 in 60Hz should be possible, depending on the colour depth.
DirectDraw or Direct2D could work with such a converter.
Same goes for Overlay and GDI output.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//