VOGONS

First post, by agile-stress

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I haven't used Win 3.1 and DOS since the last century and I can't remember whether it was normal for the mouse cursor to move horizontally by two pixels at a time, even on slightest movement and lowest sensitivity. I'm using 86box and have tried both Microsoft Mouse drivers and CTMouse, but whatever sensitivity I specify, both in Windows 3.1 and in DOS games (e.g. Discworld), the mouse keeps moving by at least two pixels at a time. Was it like that in 1993 as well? Can it be improved/lowered to one pixel at a time?

Reply 5 of 6, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nope. Not supposed to. I was using win 3.xx and dos games back in the day. One pixel at a time.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 6 of 6, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

It's not a question of what is "normal" or "supposed to be" but how a given application or game uses the mouse driver. It can easily happen with 320-width video modes (0x04, 0x05, 0x0D, 0x13) if care is not taken to avoid it. It's due to coordinate granularity applied by the driver, and I've seen many DOS games that don't account for it and thus have pointers that move horizontally by two-pixel increments.