VOGONS

First post, by Burinis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I did not find help on the Russian-language forums, so I will turn here.
In the latest version of VirtualBox 7.0.10, I managed to install the SoftGPU driver on a virtual machine with Windows 98, thereby forcing 3D acceleration to work there. Now I need a similar driver for Windows XP, but I just can’t find it either through Yandex, or through Google, or even through Bing. As I understand it, 5.2.44 (released July 14, 2020) is the latest version of virtualbox that runs 3d acceleration installed as a guest addition on Windows XP. But I decided to update my virtualbox so that it works more stable in Windows 10 22H2.
Is there a driver similar to the one from SoftGPU?

Reply 3 of 5, by Laser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

^

vmware 3d drivers for winxp are better than those of virtualbox 6.x
(I tested both and both are crap)

those 3d drivers in vmware are outdated and lot of games don't work with it, so are usable only for some not very complex 3d games
such drivers are from 2014 or so ,and haven't been updated since, despiste new vmware versions> the 3d drivers for winxp are still the same crap from 2014

Last edited by Laser on 2023-08-06, 11:45. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 5, by Laser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Burinis wrote on 2023-08-05, 08:12:

In the latest version of VirtualBox 7.0.10, I managed to install the SoftGPU driver on a virtual machine with Windows 98, thereby forcing 3D acceleration to work there. Now I need a similar driver for Windows XP, but I just can’t find it either through Yandex, or through Google, or even through Bing. As I understand it, 5.2.44 (released July 14, 2020) is the latest version of virtualbox that runs 3d acceleration installed as a guest addition on Windows XP. But I decided to update my virtualbox so that it works more stable in Windows 10 22H2.

there is no descent winp 3d emulation right now, not in vmware or virtual box
if you want to run games in winxp you have to run the real thing, ie a new computer with a gfx card which support winxp, a good one is a geforce 970 or any other maxwell/kepler card

Reply 5 of 5, by Laser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Laser wrote on 2023-08-06, 11:43:
Burinis wrote on 2023-08-05, 08:12:

there is no descent winxp 3d emulation right now, not in vmware or virtual box
if you want to run games in winxp you have to run the real thing, ie a new computer with a gfx card which support winxp, a good one is a geforce 970 or any other maxwell/kepler card