VOGONS

trace

Topic actions

First post, by folkert

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I'm looking for an PC/XT emulator that can produce a log/trace of all instructions invoked.
Of course martypc and also my own can do so, but I would like to compare with others as well.
Oh and it should run on Linux.
I've been trying for most of the day but some are lost (capex86), some won't compile, others produce something binary so yeah.
The reason is that I'm creating a test-set for emulators. Most of the 8088 instructions are validated, now I'm going for interrupts, dma and other stuff and with interrupts I'm stumbling on a problem that I can't seem to solve yet.

Reply 1 of 4, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello,

This runs on Linux, can log everything, but it's not PC/XT, rather IBM PC with PS/2 compatibility:

https://github.com/OpenRakis/Spice86

Right now it runs Betrayal at Krondor, Dune, Hero Quest, Cruise for a Corpse, Dune 2, and a few other games.

I doubt that's what you want since it's not specifically for the PC/XT, but what would be missing ? PC/XT specific features ?

Reply 2 of 4, by folkert

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
xcomcmdr wrote on 2023-08-13, 20:38:
Hello, […]
Show full quote

Hello,

This runs on Linux, can log everything, but it's not PC/XT, rather IBM PC with PS/2 compatibility:

https://github.com/OpenRakis/Spice86

Right now it runs Betrayal at Krondor, Dune, Hero Quest, Cruise for a Corpse, Dune 2, and a few other games.

I doubt that's what you want since it's not specifically for the PC/XT, but what would be missing ? PC/XT specific features ?

Thanks!
II don't know anything about the ps/2. But what I'm try to test now is what happens when interrupts are disabled but are unlocked in the 8259, then an interrupt triggered and then sti is invoked.
I'll take a look at spice86

Attachments

• Filename
    interrupt.nasm.txt
    File size
    3.54 KiB
    Downloads
    38 downloads
    File comment
    interrupt.nasm
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 3 of 4, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
folkert wrote on 2023-08-13, 20:44:

II don't know anything about the ps/2. But what I'm try to test now is what happens when interrupts are disabled but are unlocked in the 8259, then an interrupt triggered and then sti is invoked.

I took a look at your assembly code. It shouldn't work: You are sending ICW2 as "00", and comment it as "Interrupt vector 0". You can do that (although it wouldn't be the brightest idea), but you can't expect the keyboard IRQ (IRQ1) to raise interrupt 9 in that case, but the keyboard would raise interrupt 1 instead (just as the processor would do in single stepping). For PC-compatible IRQ mapping, send 08 as ICW2 to the single PIC. For Intel-compliant initialization ("the first 32 interrupt vectors are reserved for Intel purposes"), send 20 as ICW2.

Reply 4 of 4, by folkert

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mkarcher wrote on 2023-08-13, 22:28:
folkert wrote on 2023-08-13, 20:44:

I took a look at your assembly code. It shouldn't work: You are sending ICW2 as "00", and comment it as "Interrupt vector 0". You can do that (although it wouldn't be the brightest idea), but you can't expect the keyboard IRQ (IRQ1) to raise interrupt 9 in that case, but the keyboard would raise interrupt 1 instead (just as the processor would do in single stepping). For PC-compatible IRQ mapping, send 08 as ICW2 to the single PIC. For Intel-compliant initialization ("the first 32 interrupt vectors are reserved for Intel purposes"), send 20 as ICW2.

Thanks!

Also found an other problem:

-       cmp send_eoi,#$01
+ cmp byte send_eoi,#$01

Now it works as designed 😀