VOGONS

PCem emulation speed is terrible

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 40 of 55, by dominusprog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2023-08-19, 17:36:
dominusprog wrote on 2023-08-19, 15:53:
mothergoose729 wrote on 2023-08-17, 19:11:

Feel free to build a better PC emulator yourself

Come on, don't be hard on him. It is normal that he doesn't quite understand how hard it can be to emulate a different hardware.

(S)He's also seemingly confused, judging by the writing style. The posts have no grammar, no punctuation etc. It's hard to read/understand.
I don't mean to judge, but maybe English isn't his/her first language. Maybe there's a language barrier or something, or it's the educational level. 😟

Agree. Especially when he/she can find an online grammar checker after a few clicks.

Duke_2600.png
A-Trend ATC-1020 V1.1 ❇ Cyrix 6x86 150+ @ 120MHz ❇ 32MiB EDO RAM (8MiBx4) ❇ A-Trend S3 Trio64V2 2MiB
Aztech Pro16 II-3D PnP ❇ 8.4GiB Quantum Fireball ❇ Win95 OSR2 Plus!

Reply 41 of 55, by FIN_K89i

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
eddman wrote on 2023-08-19, 15:12:
You still didn't answer the questions I asked. You're also misunderstanding the replies. […]
Show full quote

You still didn't answer the questions I asked. You're also misunderstanding the replies.

Clock speed is not the only factor in a core's performance; there's also IPC (Instructions Per Clock).

The fact of the matter is your i7 is two generations older, and on top of that is a laptop model; its single core performance simply isn't high enough for a P2 333. That's the reality.

Just because you don't understand the heavy requirements for low-level emulation, doesn't make it stupid.

Let me make it as clear as possible. This is the rough performance difference between your and my CPU:

1165cineb.png

That's about 44% faster. I can barely emulate a Pentium 200 MHz, so that means your CPU probably would struggle even with a Mobile Pentium 300, let alone a Pentium 2. A Mobile P1 266 should be fine.

In any case, you should experiment with different emulated CPUs in PCem to find the right fit. Posting replies in this thread is a waste of your time at this point.

sorry the last days i didnt sleep proprely ye today ive controlled end one of the 8 cpu windows was exploding like ive also seen on the internet the specs end aparently my cpu max out at 4.70ghz so i shoud use a pentium mobile at 266mh rigth now i find a socket 7 epox p55-va end i setted up whit a mobile pentium mmx 266 but i have to change my 3DFX VOODOO 3 3000 end voodoo 2 graphics to something else or not?

Reply 42 of 55, by FIN_K89i

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dominusprog wrote on 2023-08-19, 19:49:
dominusprog wrote on 2023-08-19, 15:53:

Come on, don't be hard on him. It is normal that he doesn't quite understand how hard it can be to emulate a different hardware.

(S)He's also seemingly confused, judging by the writing style. The posts have no grammar, no punctuation etc. It's hard to read/understand.
I don't mean to judge, but maybe English isn't his/her first language. Maybe there's a language barrier or something, or it's the educational level. 😟

Agree. Especially when he/she can find an online grammar checker after a few clicks.

sorry bro im italian 14 year old ive learned by my self (roblox/internet/youtube vids) i have also a gramatic problem but idk how to say it in english

Reply 43 of 55, by eddman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
FIN_K89i wrote on 2023-08-20, 11:23:

end aparently my cpu max out at 4.70ghz so i shoud use a pentium mobile at 266mh rigth now i find a socket 7 epox p55-va

I just made an approximated guess. You could also try a Mobile P 300, and also give Pentium Pro 200 and Pentium 2 233 a try. Who knows, they might work alright too.
You could try the other Socket 7 boards too, although the performance wouldn't really be different.

To make testing easier, enable PCem's Machine window. To do that, click on "Misc -> Machine"; a new window opens. In that window, go to Options, and enable "Status", "Speed History" and "Show on Start".

The main value to check is the "Emulation speed". It shouldn't drop below 100%. However, this alone isn't enough to have an accurate reading of the hardware's capability. The best performance indicator is "CPU time":

CPUtime.png
Filename
CPUtime.png
File size
11.6 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

It should not go above 100%. If it does, it means your i7 can't handle it. It also is a good metric to see how much performance headroom is left. For example, if it says 50%, then you can probably go with an emulated CPU that is twice as fast.

but i have to change my 3DFX VOODOO 3 3000 end voodoo 2 graphics to something else or not?

You shouldn't enable Voodoo 3 and Voodoo 2 at the same time. If you go with a V3, do NOT enable the "Voodoo Graphics" box.
Your CPU should be able to handle a Voodoo 3. Just don't go above 2 render threads.

Reply 44 of 55, by dominusprog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
FIN_K89i wrote on 2023-08-20, 11:26:

sorry bro im italian 14 year old ive learned by my self (roblox/internet/youtube vids) i have also a gramatic problem but idk how to say it in english

Do not apologize, there’s no shame in not knowing. Trying to get better 😀

Duke_2600.png
A-Trend ATC-1020 V1.1 ❇ Cyrix 6x86 150+ @ 120MHz ❇ 32MiB EDO RAM (8MiBx4) ❇ A-Trend S3 Trio64V2 2MiB
Aztech Pro16 II-3D PnP ❇ 8.4GiB Quantum Fireball ❇ Win95 OSR2 Plus!

Reply 45 of 55, by FIN_K89i

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
eddman wrote on 2023-08-20, 14:52:
I just made an approximated guess. You could also try a Mobile P 300, and also give Pentium Pro 200 and Pentium 2 233 a try. Who […]
Show full quote
FIN_K89i wrote on 2023-08-20, 11:23:

end aparently my cpu max out at 4.70ghz so i shoud use a pentium mobile at 266mh rigth now i find a socket 7 epox p55-va

I just made an approximated guess. You could also try a Mobile P 300, and also give Pentium Pro 200 and Pentium 2 233 a try. Who knows, they might work alright too.
You could try the other Socket 7 boards too, although the performance wouldn't really be different.

To make testing easier, enable PCem's Machine window. To do that, click on "Misc -> Machine"; a new window opens. In that window, go to Options, and enable "Status", "Speed History" and "Show on Start".

The main value to check is the "Emulation speed". It shouldn't drop below 100%. However, this alone isn't enough to have an accurate reading of the hardware's capability. The best performance indicator is "CPU time":

CPUtime.png

It should not go above 100%. If it does, it means your i7 can't handle it. It also is a good metric to see how much performance headroom is left. For example, if it says 50%, then you can probably go with an emulated CPU that is twice as fast.

but i have to change my 3DFX VOODOO 3 3000 end voodoo 2 graphics to something else or not?

You shouldn't enable Voodoo 3 and Voodoo 2 at the same time. If you go with a V3, do NOT enable the "Voodoo Graphics" box.
Your CPU should be able to handle a Voodoo 3. Just don't go above 2 render threads.

bro the only that didnt go over 100 is the mobile pentium mmx 122 always whit the voodoo 3 3000 no voodoo graphics this time but i need atlest the 200 mh version because the frame rate start too drop end stell whit the 133mh the audio expecialy on pinball like how i can say maby a video (done whit the 133mh version that go at 94% emulation speed but bether than a 50%)
https://www.reddit.com/user/FIN_K89i/comments … t_is_the_video/

Reply 46 of 55, by FIN_K89i

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dominusprog wrote on 2023-08-20, 15:49:

thx bro at least you arent like the magiority of italians in the internet that insoult you for a word texted whit a single minor problem like tis instead of this

Reply 47 of 55, by eddman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You're still very young. Don't worry, you'll get the hang of english in no time; just drop the "bro" part first thing. No one else on this forum, or other such places, address each other like that. Even my closest friends don't. You'll also get better responses.

FIN_K89i wrote on 2023-08-20, 16:19:

bro the only that didnt go over 100 is the mobile pentium mmx 122 always whit the voodoo 3 3000 no voodoo graphics this time but i need atlest the 200 mh version because the frame rate start too drop end stell whit the 133mh the audio expecialy on pinball like how i can say maby a video (done whit the 133mh version that go at 94% emulation speed but bether than a 50%)

Well, I mentioned two or three times to check Windows' Power Plan? Have you done that? What plan is it on?

That video is not useful since I can't see the Machine window and any percentages. Make a video that shows the machine window and also windows task manager's CPU page.

Reply 48 of 55, by FIN_K89i

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
eddman wrote on 2023-08-20, 16:45:
You're still very young. Don't worry, you'll get the hang of english in no time; just drop the "bro" part first thing. No one el […]
Show full quote

You're still very young. Don't worry, you'll get the hang of english in no time; just drop the "bro" part first thing. No one else on this forum, or other such places, address each other like that. Even my closest friends don't. You'll also get better responses.

Well, I mentioned two or three times to check Windows' Power Plan? Have you done that? What plan is it on?

That video is not useful since I can't see the Machine window and any percentages. Make a video that shows the machine window and also windows task manager's CPU page.

there but the performace where worst because of OBS https://www.reddit.com/user/FIN_K89i/comments … he_other_video/

Reply 49 of 55, by eddman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

1. Still no info on windows power plan. It should be set to at least "high performance". Also plug in the laptop's power cord.

2. As mentioned, need to see CPU load in task manager to see the max clock speed. A tool like HWinfo would be even better.

3. Don't emulate a network card. Completely remove network emulation. For me, it had a massive impact on performance.

4. I emulate a sound blaster 16. Maybe it makes a difference.

5. It's also possible that the pinball game has a performance compatibility issue with PCem. I don't have access to my main computer to test.

Last edited by eddman on 2023-08-20, 23:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 50 of 55, by FIN_K89i

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
eddman wrote on 2023-08-20, 20:57:
1. Still no info on windows power plan. It should be set to at least "high performance". Also plug in the laptop's power cord. […]
Show full quote

1. Still no info on windows power plan. It should be set to at least "high performance". Also plug in the laptop's power cord.

2. As mentioned, need to see CPU load in task manager to see the max clock speed. A tool like HWinfo would be even better.

3. If you're emulating a network card, don't. Completely remove network emulation. For me, it had a massive impact on performance.

5. It's also possible that the pinball game has a performance compatibility issue with PCem. I don't have access to my main computer to test.

A sorry bro I keep forgetting it ye is always to the max attached to the power

Reply 51 of 55, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dominusprog wrote on 2023-08-20, 15:49:

I agree, to err is human. ^^

Though it's also good to be a bit humble and to apologize from time to time, even if not required.
Friendliness/politeness does motivate others to help us, asking for help, even more. ^^

Speaking of, there's an old saying that I remember; spelling is respect for the reader.
It's not about grammar or making no mistakes (I still do a lot mistakes, btw),
but it rather means that we show respect towards others by trying to give our best. That we take our time.
Which again motivates others to help us with our problem. It also helps them to understand what we really mean.

@FIN_K89i My sincere congrats for teaching yourself English at such a young age! ^^
Being an autodidact isn't easy, it needs quite some willpower.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 52 of 55, by FIN_K89i

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
eddman wrote on 2023-08-20, 20:57:
1. Still no info on windows power plan. It should be set to at least "high performance". Also plug in the laptop's power cord. […]
Show full quote

3. Don't emulate a network card. Completely remove network emulation. For me, it had a massive impact on performance.

so the power plan is always to max attached to the power ive tryed whit no internet card end no change i tried whit the sound blaster 16 but windows me dosent see it end i idk how to ad the task menager because the screen is full

Reply 53 of 55, by eddman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Alright, I tested Windows Me's pinball. The problem is number 5, "performance compatibility issue". I tested it under Windows 98 SE and it performs fine. I suspect it should work fine under 95 too.

To play pinball on 95 you must install it through "Microsoft Plus! for Windows 95".

On Windows 98, you can't install Plus 95, however, you can install Pinball itself with this method: https://web.archive.org/web/20130307210702/ht … t.com/kb/188204

(EDIT: Uh, I tested pinball under 98 again and that too has performance issues. It was fine when I had tried it a while back. No idea what's causing it. The game doesn't seem to like PCem. Just temporarily switch to a slower Pentium when running pinball.

EDIT 2: So the reason it ran fine in the past was that I had tested on a Socket 4 board, which doesn't have external (L2) cache. It seems Pinball has issues with PCem when L2 cache is enabled.)

i need atlest the 200 mh version because the frame rate start too drop end stell whit the 133mh

No, you don't. The game plays fine even on a Pentium 6o.

FIN_K89i wrote on 2023-08-22, 16:39:

i tried whit the sound blaster 16 but windows me dosent see it

The SB16 card is non-PnP, so windows doesn't automatically detect it. You have to do a hardware scan with "Add New Hardware"; it's in control panel.

i idk how to ad the task menager because the screen is full

I only needed to see the max boost clock to make sure it's not throttling, not the entire window. It's not required anymore, anyway.

Reply 54 of 55, by solemgar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry for the necro, hello everyone, just new to the forum 😀
I have been testing the following:
- PCEmu , compiled from source
- 86box
- DosBox-X

For W98 emulation (P223 MMX, Voodoo 3), of all them, best experience seems to be (at least for me) PCEmu from source. Is this consistent with everybody experiences?
I get a lot of mixed messages reading, where some people claim PCEMu always faster if compiled, and others say same perf as 86Box