VOGONS

First post, by Burinis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I made a virtual machine in VirtualBox with Windows 98 installed in it. I installed the drivers for the VMSBOX video adapter from SoftGPU (v0.4.2023.13-alpha) and the AC'97 sound card from Realtek.
When I run Streets of SimCity on Windows 98 with 256 colors (in other palettes the game interface breaks), the game crashes:
https://youtu.be/hJ0OulE0ru8
Video adapter VMSVGA, 128 MB video memory, 3D acceleration enabled
VirtualBox 6.0.24 r139119 (Qt5.6.2)
Immediately I refute the use of the SimStreetsX patch and the update of the SoftGPU driver (reason).
What to do?

Reply 1 of 7, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Streets only supports Glide on the Voodoo and Voodoo2 out of the box, and would require the Voodoo Rush patch for any other voodoo card.

however Streets has other problems that virtualizing a CPU would be infinite pain for and only properly plays on slow CPUs. If your CPU's too fast then the framerate will be high enough for cars to bounce away to their home planet and there'll be a high chance of a crash.

(Also it doesn't look better in Glide either as transparent effects are not handled and the thrashing is rough.)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 7, by Burinis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote on 2023-09-02, 03:08:

Streets only supports Glide on the Voodoo and Voodoo2 out of the box, and would require the Voodoo Rush patch for any other voodoo card.

however Streets has other problems that virtualizing a CPU would be infinite pain for and only properly plays on slow CPUs. If your CPU's too fast then the framerate will be high enough for cars to bounce away to their home planet and there'll be a high chance of a crash.

(Also it doesn't look better in Glide either as transparent effects are not handled and the thrashing is rough.)

The crash issue during the start of the mission has been resolved! It turned out that it was necessary to switch to software rendering:
1) I created a shortcut to the game on the desktop;
2) in the "Object" line of the properties of the shortcut, you had to write -o0 at the very end and click OK.
I just tested this game on VMWare Player. After that, I haven't seen any crashes on VMWare yet. VB still has them. But how do I slow down the processor for a virtual machine? And how to make the cursor in the game display normally? Just the cursor blinking in the game. Installing the VMWare specific mouse driver didn't help.

Reply 4 of 7, by Burinis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
feda wrote on 2023-09-02, 17:35:
Burinis wrote on 2023-09-02, 09:04:

But how do I slow down the processor for a virtual machine?

You can't. Not in VMWare or Virtualbox.

Why? I already downloaded the CPU Grabber, adjusted the frequency in it and the virtual machine really became slower.

Reply 6 of 7, by Burinis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
feda wrote on 2023-09-03, 12:22:

It has no effect on Streets. Cars are still bouncing up and down.

But personally, after slowing down the processor in a virtual machine, I don’t observe such a situation. However, I enabled virtualization of Intel VT-X/EPT+AMD-V/RVI, CPU performance counter and IOOMU in the machine settings.