VOGONS

First post, by GloriousCow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't know if reenigne had any future plans to go beyond the 8088/8086, but i saw mention of a high resolution die shot of the 286 over on Visual6502.org.

http://visual6502.org/images/pages/Intel_8028 … _die_shots.html

23253 x 22924 pixels and 848 MB. Would that be enough to decode the microcode, you think?
Unfortunately, the file is not linked - I sent an email to the address there, but got no response. Anyone have any contact info for anyone on the Visual6502 team?

MartyPC: A cycle-accurate IBM PC/XT emulator | https://github.com/dbalsom/martypc

Reply 1 of 3, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Although I am no help it would be interesting to compare the last Rev 286 to the very first rev a’s that supposedly ran XMS faster.

The 286 had lots of errata passed off as features and certain functions disabled but partially left in the die.
As a result The 286 had a lot of unused (during normal operations) circuitry
It’s already known there was an in circuit emulator left on the die for testing and it’s believed the 30 bit virtual memory space was chosen due to errata.

There was someone who examined the 286 years ago that had a write up, life of me can’t find it.

Reply 2 of 3, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

286 licenses were widespread also, you'd think there might have been leakage from one of the dozen second sources. I guess bitsavers would have got it if it was well known though.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3 of 3, by reenigne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't think it would be possible to extract the microcode from that die shot at any resolution - I think the metal layer is intact. The lower layers need to be photographed to extract the ROM data. This was the situation with the 8086 too for a long time until Ken Shirriff published his die shots. Before that we had tantalising images of the 8086 die but only half of the bits were readable. That 286 shot doesn't appear to have any readable bits at all!

But I don't have any plans to figure out the microcode of later CPUs. For one thing, I'm not sure if enough information is available in the patents to do so even with a full ROM dump. The other problem is that 286 machines didn't run their CPUs from the same crystal as the PIT, so no software could ever depend on cycle-exact behaviour like it could on a 4.77MHz machine - that makes cycle-exact emulation of these machines much less interesting to me.