VOGONS

First post, by swedenessen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!
I'm trying to run an old game through PCem, and it feels like I'm making no progress whatsoever.
https://imgur.com/a/j6ONmdk - these are the current settings on my Windows 98 machine.
I've tried both increasing and lowering the CPU, tampering with the Memory and disabling/enabling Voodoo Graphics, yet the game is still very slow and laggy.
The sound however is totally fine, it's just the game that runs so very slow.

My computer specs are:
AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Six-Core Processor - 3.20 GHz
16GB RAM
Windows 10 with 64-bit processor

I have also tried other virtual machines such as VirtualBox, 86box and VM-Ware.
On VirtualBox, the game runs way too fast instead.

Please help, I've spent hours and hours trying to get this to work but to no avail 🙁

Reply 1 of 25, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi, ViRGE is a very poor Direct3D card. So if your game is not using S3D API, good Direct3D support is required.
Maybe it's a driver issue, too. There are various versions, with some having better Direct3D support.
The Voodoo 1 needs good Windows drivers, as well. Falconfly or a mirror of it has good ones.

Sorry, it's been a while. I did some experiments with S3 Virge and Voodoo on Windows 9x.
In my channel, there are a few videos about it.

Good luck. 🙂

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 25, by swedenessen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2023-11-04, 15:24:
Hi, ViRGE is a very poor Direct3D card. So if your game is not using S3D API, good Direct3D support is required. Maybe it's a […]
Show full quote

Hi, ViRGE is a very poor Direct3D card. So if your game is not using S3D API, good Direct3D support is required.
Maybe it's a driver issue, too. There are various versions, with some having better Direct3D support.
The Voodoo 1 needs good Windows drivers, as well. Falconfly or a mirror of it has good ones.

Sorry, it's been a while. I did some experiments with S3 Virge and Voodoo on Windows 9x.
In my channel, there are a few videos about it.

Good luck. 🙂

Oh I see, thank you, I will try this out!
I will check out your channel too 😊

Reply 4 of 25, by swedenessen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
feda wrote on 2023-11-04, 15:39:

Which game? Performance in PCem varies depending on game and API.

It's a swedish game called Henry Sinclair, the specs the game requires are the following:
Pentium 200 MHz
Windows 95/98
CD-rom player with at least 4x speed
SVGA graphics, with minimum 16-bit
Direct X 7.0

Reply 6 of 25, by feda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
swedenessen wrote on 2023-11-04, 16:33:
It's a swedish game called Henry Sinclair, the specs the game requires are the following: Pentium 200 MHz Windows 95/98 CD-rom p […]
Show full quote

It's a swedish game called Henry Sinclair, the specs the game requires are the following:
Pentium 200 MHz
Windows 95/98
Direct X 7.0

Can't find a thing about it. What year did it come out? Could you post some screens?
Did you try running it natively with dgvoodoo2 or ddrawcompat?

Reply 7 of 25, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi everyone, I've been experimenting with a real Pentium 133 (non-MMX) a few years ago.

With the right graphics drivers, the S3 ViRGE and Voodoo 1/Voodoo 2 can provide acceptable results.
That was with Windows 95 and 98SE.

In the video descriptions are the drivers mentioned that I had used, I think.

Maybe that'w worth a try.

https://m.youtube.com/@dreambyte7926/search?q … y=Voodoo%2B3dfx

@ swedenessen I see you've been using a Pentium 120. That's a fine choice, because it's rather balanced (not overloading the emulator/PC). 🙂👍

However, for the game you're trying to play, a Pentium MMX would be better.

Especially Windows 98SE and DirectX 6 will make use of MMX instructions, if available.
Some sound and graphics drivers may also use MMX, if available.

Also, MMX processors had bigger cache, which is good.

So if you can, please try selecting a Pentium MMX 166 or similar.

Good luck! 😃👍

Edit: I forgot. It could be that I used an earlier S3 Virge in my physical Pentium 133 (model 325).
That was because of DOS game compatibility and S3D enabled games.
The ViRGE/DX is better for Windows, so just leave it. If possible, use similar drivers, but for
ViRGE/DX.

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 8 of 25, by swedenessen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
feda wrote on 2023-11-04, 18:16:
swedenessen wrote on 2023-11-04, 16:33:
It's a swedish game called Henry Sinclair, the specs the game requires are the following: Pentium 200 MHz Windows 95/98 CD-rom p […]
Show full quote

Pentium 200 MHz
Windows 95/98
Direct X 7.0

Can't find a thing about it. What year did it come out? Could you post some screens?
Did you try running it natively with dgvoodoo2 or ddrawcompat?

That's the thing, it's not a popular game. See, I have a youtube channel where I post retro games and I'm often trying to upload games that does not exist on Youtube!
Here is the game on a swedish site: https://www.kaptenkrok.se/product/pc-henry-si … amn-jorden-beg/
I tried both dgvoodoo2 and ddrawcompat, both on my desktop computer and 2 laptops. No luck:/

Reply 9 of 25, by swedenessen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2023-11-04, 18:49:
Hi everyone, I've been experimenting with a real Pentium 133 (non-MMX) a few years ago. […]
Show full quote

Hi everyone, I've been experimenting with a real Pentium 133 (non-MMX) a few years ago.

With the right graphics drivers, the S3 ViRGE and Voodoo 1/Voodoo 2 can provide acceptable results.

@ swedenessen I see you've been using a Pentium 120. That's a fine choice, because it's rather balanced (not overloading the emulator/PC). 🙂👍

Especially Windows 98SE and DirectX 6 will make use of MMX instructions, if available.

Good luck! 😃👍

Edit: I forgot. It could be that I used an earlier S3 Virge in my physical Pentium 133 (model 325).
The ViRGE/DX is better for Windows, so just leave it. If possible, use similar drivers, but for
ViRGE/DX.

Thank you so much for your answer!
I've tried everything you suggested, but sadly the game is not working as it should 😒

Despite it being released in 2000, the game actually works on my Windows 10, but playing it that way will result in the opposite; the game runs way too fast. The sound is good, but the gameplay is like 10x the speed.
I've tried softwares that limit the FPS but it's like the game does not care or even slightly slows down.
With some older games there are usually a config.txt file to manually reduce the FPS or whatever settings, but not here.

Would you mind trying to think of any other solution that might work for this game? I would be deeply grateful!
I guess there's no way to "mod" the game somehow?

Reply 10 of 25, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
swedenessen wrote on 2023-11-05, 14:05:
Thank you so much for your answer! I've tried everything you suggested, but sadly the game is not working as it should :/ […]
Show full quote
Jo22 wrote on 2023-11-04, 18:49:
Hi everyone, I've been experimenting with a real Pentium 133 (non-MMX) a few years ago. […]
Show full quote

Good luck! 😃👍

ViRGE/DX.

Thank you so much for your answer!
I've tried everything you suggested, but sadly the game is not working as it should 😒

Despite it being released in 2000, the game actually works on my Windows 10, but playing it that way will result in the opposite; the game runs way too fast. The sound is good, but the gameplay is like 10x the speed.
I've tried softwares that limit the FPS but it's like the game does not care or even slightly slows down.
With some older games there are usually a config.txt file to manually reduce the FPS or whatever settings, but not here.

Would you mind trying to think of any other solution that might work for this game? I would be deeply grateful!

I don't know how much resource the game uses from the Cpu or gpu.

I use a Pentium 1 166 and a Voodoo 3 for everything upto 1999 and it mostly works fine for research purposes. A Pentium 2 300 and a V3 seemed fine for running games at playable speed on i7 11th gen

Did you try using a V3? Considering S3 Virge has only D3D3 HW support, while V3 supports upto D3D7

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 11 of 25, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As far as I can tell by the screenshots and SVGA card stated in the system requirements, the videocard is not the issue as the game is not using D3D or any other 3D API, it's likely a 2D DirectDraw title only. You are trying to run a game released in 2000 that requires a Pentium 200 on an emulated Pentium 120. Considering that system requirements in that era were little more than a happy suggestion for the game to even launch, this is futile. I recommend trying PCEm on a more powerful CPU and emulating the likes of a Pentium II and such.
Or, alternatively, capping the framerate on your modern PC so that the game does not exceed it.

Reply 12 of 25, by feda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
swedenessen wrote on 2023-11-05, 14:05:

Not sure about modding, but I could probably figure out a workaround, if I could obtain a copy 😉

Reply 13 of 25, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Garrett W wrote on 2023-11-05, 16:30:

As far as I can tell by the screenshots and SVGA card stated in the system requirements, the videocard is not the issue as the game is not using D3D or any other 3D API, it's likely a 2D DirectDraw title only. You are trying to run a game released in 2000 that requires a Pentium 200 on an emulated Pentium 120. Considering that system requirements in that era were little more than a happy suggestion for the game to even launch, this is futile. I recommend trying PCEm on a more powerful CPU and emulating the likes of a Pentium II and such.
Or, alternatively, capping the framerate on your modern PC so that the game does not exceed it.

Hi there, you made curious, so I've searched for the game and found a photo of the game case (DVD box)..
On the back, way down at the bottom, there's the QuickTime logo.
So maybe the game uses QuickTime technology. Maybe it's just for the cut scenes, but maybe it's also using the venerable "QuickTime VR" technology.
You know, the technology used in the original Myst release.

//My video channel//

Reply 14 of 25, by feda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2023-11-05, 17:42:
Hi there, you made curious, so I've searched for the game and found a photo of the game case (DVD box).. On the back, way down […]
Show full quote

Hi there, you made curious, so I've searched for the game and found a photo of the game case (DVD box)..
So maybe the game uses QuickTime technology. Maybe it's just for the cut scenes, but maybe it's also using the venerable "QuickTime VR" technology.

The QT requirement is apparently only for the Mac version:
https://www.kaptenkrok.se/wp-content/uploads/ … 1/PCS1882_2.jpg

Reply 15 of 25, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
feda wrote on 2023-11-05, 17:51:
Hi there, you made curious, so I've searched for the game and found a photo of the game case (DVD box).. On the back, way down […]
Show full quote

My bad, I had trouble reading the Hollandic (?) description. 😅

//My video channel//

Reply 16 of 25, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Garrett W wrote on 2023-11-05, 16:30:

I agree 100% .

I wanted to say exactly that, but you beat me to it.

Reply 17 of 25, by swedenessen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2023-11-06, 12:29:
feda wrote on 2023-11-05, 17:51:
Show full quote

My bad, I had trouble reading the Hollandic (?) description. 😅

Just wanted to say I got the game to function properly yesterday!
I found a software called Cheat Engine which had a function called Speed Hack, and I was able to slow down the game's speed without messing with the sound.
So I could play through the game and now it is uploaded on my channel 😊

Thank you all so much for trying to help in this thread, if anyone has similar problems with a game I really recommend Cheat Engine 🙏

Reply 18 of 25, by feda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
swedenessen wrote on 2023-11-06, 18:36:
Just wanted to say I got the game to function properly yesterday! I found a software called Cheat Engine which had a function ca […]
Show full quote

I found a software called Cheat Engine which had a function called Speed Hack, and I was able to slow down the game's speed without messing with the sound.

Thank you all so much for trying to help in this thread, if anyone has similar problems with a game I really recommend Cheat Engine 🙏

Will you link us to the video? I'd like to see the game in action.

Reply 19 of 25, by swedenessen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
feda wrote on 2023-11-06, 18:58:
swedenessen wrote on 2023-11-06, 18:36:
Just wanted to say I got the game to function properly yesterday! I found a software called Cheat Engine which had a function ca […]
Show full quote

Will you link us to the video? I'd like to see the game in action.

Oh of course! Here it is 😊
https://youtu.be/A7ijD1cj-2U?si=wHx9mOb5F-0LbFwZ