VOGONS

First post, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi everyone,

I've just a quick question..
Is there a way to change machine settings of the emulated 386/486 motherboards?
- The motherboard cache, I mean.
I'm asking, because the default settings are unrealistically low, causing less than ideal performance.

I mean, they're factory defaults, so they're not wrong per se.
But let's be honest, who back then had invested in a high-end 386, but didn't upgrade the cache accordingly?
128 to 256 KB weren't that over the top. 128KB would not have been unheard of, at least.

Anyway, I hope it's okay to ask here.
Because, I don't dare to bother PCem/86Box forums with that question, it could bee seen as some sort of criticism.

Especially since I'm not registered yet and asking this question directly after registration wouldn't be a good start to begin things.

So if there's a way to change things, maybe by patching PCem 17 EXE by hand, please tell me.
A PM is also welcome, if there are concerns.

Best wishes,
Jo22

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 1 of 2, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wonder if that explain the pretty sub par performance I see on a lot of emulated socket 7 boards.

I am pretty sure there is no config setting for it. Maybe you can patch the bios?

You are going to need a devs help to navigate the code base. Maybe you can add a config option and try to get your changes merged 😉