VOGONS

First post, by niceguy2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Are A3D wrappers an exact (or close to exact) replication of the A3D playback as found on original hardware? I know that probably covers a lot of dimensions, and may vary between 1.0 and 2.0 A3D versions, so wondering if either/both version is accurately replicated and also whether that covers all aspects/functions of the tech.

Also same question with Glide wrappers, do they pretty much accurately capture what Glide would look like on an actual 3dfx card, or are they more about just getting Glide to run (acceptably/well) on non-3dfx hardware? In the case with Glide, I know there are numerous wrappers dating way back, so I guess it would be a question of which ones are accurate, if at all.

Reply 1 of 1, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

None of the Glide wrappers are accurate to the 3dfx hardware. They're API wrappers, not low level emulators. They're not going to do the two dithering matrices, dither subtraction, dithered LOD, screen filtering, busted/overflowing gamma ramps, texture thrashing penalties, anything that makes 3dfx "look bad", etc. And that's all by design as wrappers don't intend to go deep.

apsosig.png
long live PCem