VOGONS

First post, by FIN_K89i

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hello i have to copy the content of a VHD that has windows 95 on it end i have to copy it on another bigger VHD i have booted the virtual machine on PCem v17 whit a floppy of MS-DOS 6.22 whit the old VHD end the new VHD connected i have formatted the new VHD but i dont have a software for copy the content of the old VHD on the new one can someone help me to find a software that is bootable end that is on floppy

Reply 2 of 4, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is resizing the VHD not an option for some reason ?

Unless I am missing something, Virtualbox's Media Manager has that functionality. The qemu-img (there is a Windows port, AFAICR) might be useful too.

Also, do keep in mind that the First releae of Windows 95 did not support partitions larger than 2GB in size. The biggest disk size supported was 8.4GB (with individual partitions no larger than 2GB each in size). Windows 95 OSR2 and newer added FAT32 support and addressed this limitation.

Reply 3 of 4, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
FIN_K89i wrote on 2024-02-04, 18:18:

hello i have to copy the content of a VHD that has windows 95 on it end i have to copy it on another bigger VHD i have booted the virtual machine on PCem v17 whit a floppy of MS-DOS 6.22 whit the old VHD end the new VHD connected i have formatted the new VHD but i dont have a software for copy the content of the old VHD on the new one can someone help me to find a software that is bootable end that is on floppy

Hi, I don't know of one sadly.

Though Acronis True Image 7 had an emergency media builder that could create a set of bootable floppies. It were three 1,44MB disks, if memory serves.

Later versions (9, 10 etc) also could be booted directly via Setup CD. Two versions were included, one based on DOS (=BIOS support) and one for Linux (=USB support).

About 64MB of RAM and a Pentium CPUwere required for it to boot.

Another idea is to simply use a Windows 98SE boot-up floppy (for the Setup CD-ROM).

It has DOS 7.1 and the SYS/FDISK/FORMAT utility can be borrowed from CD (located WIN98 directory).

It should be compatible with the DOS found later versions of Windows 95, at least.

Together with File Maven v3 (FM3, Freeware), the whole directory structure can be selected then and copied over to another drive letter.

But I'm just a layman here. I don't use DOS 7 that often. 🤷‍♂️

It could be good to have long filename support (LFN) enabled before running FM3.
Otherwise, some Windows 9x files might not be copied correctly.

I say "may" here, because the core system files of Windows 95 and OS/2 2.x were always in 8.3 format, to provent such issues.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 4, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just checked, and I can confirm that Virtualbox's virtual media manager can be used to clone, resize and convert to and from, VHD, VMDK and other formats .

Virtualbox is free to use for non commercial use, so I suggest you try that.