VOGONS

First post, by Burinis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a virtual machine in VirtualBox 6.0.24 with Windows XP SP3 and a VBoxVGA video adapter. 3D acceleration works great in it. But I decided to make two more Windows XP SP3 virtual machines, but with VBoxSVGA and VMSVGA video adapters. But when installing Guest Additions (even if you do not install Direct3D), the following error occurs with a VMSVGA video adapter:
Virtual-Box-Windows-XP-VMSVGA-11-02-2024-20-40-32.png
They say on the Internet that the VMSVGA video adapter has high performance.
In the case of the VBoxSVGA video adapter, no errors occur and everything works fine, but 3D acceleration does not work.
On all virtual machines, 3D acceleration is enabled in the display settings.
Running old games on a real computer and buying an old computer is not an option. I removed VMWare Player so that it would not take up extra space on the computer.
Are there any other ways to use 3D acceleration? What drivers are needed?

Reply 1 of 5, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't use virtualbox for Windows XP (Vmware ESX passthrough and/or player\workstation) but if you insist on running games in Virtualbox then you should be using VBoxVGA or get find someone to work on coding support of 3D Acceleration for guests that Virtualbox no longer supports or never supported for 3D acceleration in Virtualbox.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 5, by THEBaratusII

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've used Windows XP on VirtualBox (either with 5.2.44 or 6.0.24) with 3D acceleration under VBoxVGA. It was decent. Not entirely the best, but it was decent.

Interesting to hear that VBoxSVGA has more performance but I don't know how long VBoxSVGA existed, I could imagine it wasn't compatible with Windows XP but more Windows 7 or higher. One of these days I'll have to try this out for myself.

Have you tried downgrading VirtualBox versions to see if it works?

Z6rBOy0.gif
My Website
YouTube Channel

Reply 3 of 5, by LSS10999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

AFAIK 3D support in VBoxVGA was only in VBox 6.x. My current Linux distro which uses up-to-date VBox (now 7.0.x) no longer supports it. On the other hand, neither VBoxSVGA nor VMSVGA had any support for XP to begin with.

VBoxSVGA with modern Windows guests especially Win10/11 can be a nightmare. Some GUI applications appear messed up with that enabled. At one time 3D on Win7 with VBoxSVGA was so broken that Aero would keep crashing, but fixed with recent 7.0.x versions. Issues with newer Windows guests are still there, however.

Reply 4 of 5, by yochenhsieh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

SoftGPU : But it's only for Windows 95/98/Me.
https://github.com/JHRobotics/softgpu

SVGA3D (gen 9) works in VirtualBox 6.0 for me.
(glchecker and dxdiag indicate HW acceleration work, but I haven't tried any game yet.)

Reply 5 of 5, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
yochenhsieh wrote on 2024-02-12, 08:11:
SoftGPU : But it's only for Windows 95/98/Me. https://github.com/JHRobotics/softgpu […]
Show full quote

SoftGPU : But it's only for Windows 95/98/Me.
https://github.com/JHRobotics/softgpu

SVGA3D (gen 9) works in VirtualBox 6.0 for me.
(glchecker and dxdiag indicate HW acceleration work, but I haven't tried any game yet.)

That's interesting, if it works.

Because it seems to support DirectX 6/7, which Windows XP+WineD3D didn't support on Virtualbox (VBoxVGA).

If you're running DirectX Diag, the Direct3D 7 test will usually fail.

So any application using Direct3D 7 API has to resort to software rendering.

Or use Glide API (nGlide etc) via wrapper which in turn outputs to DirectX 8/9 or OpenGL.

That's interesting in sofar, because most classic DirectX titles that use older Direct3D (say 3 to 6),
while be being handled by Direct3D 7.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//