VOGONS

First post, by GloriousCow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm confused about the SOM field in the End Horizontal Retrace Register.

Ferraro has this to say about it:

Determines whether an odd or even memory address should be used as the first memory address after a horizontal refresh
=0 Start at an even memory address
=1 Start at an odd memory address

IBM's document says:

Start Odd/Even Memory Address-This bit controls whether the first CRT memory address output after a horizontal retrace begins wi […]
Show full quote

Start Odd/Even Memory Address-This bit
controls whether the first CRT memory address
output after a horizontal retrace begins with an
even or an odd address. A logical 0 selects even
addresses; a logicall selects odd addresses. This
bit is used for horizontal pel panning applications.

Both of these descriptions are a bit ambiguous. Take for example, Dangerous Dave in the Haunted Mansion.

Dave's title screen starts out with a CRTC start address of 0.

dave_pan_left.PNG
Filename
dave_pan_left.PNG
File size
170.76 KiB
Views
File comment
dangerous dave panning #1
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The screen then pans to the right, incrementing the start address to 40, one byte at a time.

dave_pan_right.png
Filename
dave_pan_right.png
File size
138.73 KiB
Views
File comment
dangerous dave panning #2
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

However, the scrolling as i have implemented it is very jerky. I would expect a sequence of (start address, pel panning) updates to be (0,4)(1,0)(1,4)(2,0)(2,4) and so on, to effect a smooth pan.
Instead i'm seeing: (1, 0)(2, 4)(3, 4)(4, 0) ... it doesn't make much sense.

I was wondering if somehow the SOM bit is affecting the memory start location. If SOM==0, then we should start each scanline on an even address - so what effect does that have when the crtc start address itself is odd, like ==1?

We know that pel panning is not latched - it can be updated per scanline (as demonstrated by Beverly Hills Cop's wiggly text effect)
I saw mention of preset row scan being used for scrolling operations, but in this effect it is set to 0 and never updated.
There's also nothing going on with display enable skew or horizontal retrace delay.

What is the secret i'm missing to smooth scrolling?

MartyPC: A cycle-accurate IBM PC/XT emulator | https://github.com/dbalsom/martypc

Reply 1 of 4, by GloriousCow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, as soon as I post this, I find this thread: When Does VGA latch the start address register

Changed from latching the start address at vertical total to latching it at vsync, and now the scrolling is smooth. Imagine that.

Would still love to know what the heck the SOM bit is supposed to do, though.

MartyPC: A cycle-accurate IBM PC/XT emulator | https://github.com/dbalsom/martypc

Reply 2 of 4, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think there's been discussion about this before with reference to clone EGA cards not scrolling Commander Keen correctly.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 3 of 4, by GloriousCow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keenmaster486 wrote on 2024-02-15, 04:40:

I think there's been discussion about this before with reference to clone EGA cards not scrolling Commander Keen correctly.

Because they latch the start address at a different time?

Reply 4 of 4, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Something like that. I can't remember exactly. I think the info is in one of these threads:

Why does Commander Keen 4-6 hardware scrolling glitch on ATI (Mach) PCI video cards?
Pulling my hair out with EGA programming.
VGA behavior when "scrolling over the edge"

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.