VOGONS

First post, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You would think that after 1992 or 93 game companies would put built-in frame limiters or not allow CPU speed sensitive code to affect the game to make it uplayable or unwinnable. For the older games utilities like MoSlo were developed to artifically lower the processor's speed, in MoSlo's case by bombarding it with interrupts. While a lot of early games never expected the CPU speed to go beyond 20MHz, programmer for later games knew that their games would be played on a wider variety of systems and processing technology was improving so fast it was difficult to keep up.

How often do later, DOOM-era DOS games to Windows 95 games fail or play too fast because of the processor speed?

Reply 1 of 5, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

uhm revenant Think it's a windows game.
Is totally unplayable because of the speed

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 5 of 5, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

TES: Daggerfall (a Win95-era DOS game) was unplayable on my PII-450. Due to some wacky timing mechanisms used by the game, I could barely move backwards or climb walls. Slowdown utilities didn't help much - by combining a couple I was able to almost make it playable, but never to my satisfaction. Hopefully DOSBox will bring this title back to life.