VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by nudgegoonies

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
iv'e just a few questions about the latest CVS where i haven't found an answer in this forum via search.

The auto setting for CPUTYPE is described as the fastest. But what is auto? One from the other options or something completely different?

What do these _slow and _prefetch options do?

Are the defaults for cycles=auto still the same (3000 for realmode and max for protected mode)?

I know, this is CVS and still beta. But it would be nice to know what new functions the betatester test 😉

Keep up the good work. Regards!

Reply 1 of 13, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If it works like it does on "Cycles", "auto" is suppossed to autodetect the best option for the program currently running.

"Prefetch" is an option for a certain number of games that use an option not previously implemented in DOSBox. "Auto" won't work with those. Most notoriusly, this fixes "FIFA International Soccer".

As for the "cycles=auto" option, it stays at 3.000 while using the DOS shell, but it changes once you've loaded a CPU intensive program. Try "Quake" or "NASCAR RAcing", to name two, and you'll see the option changing inmediately to "max" on the titlebar.

Reply 2 of 13, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

auto is something totally different for cputype. Think it can be considered 486 (cpuid) + 386(paging) like.

auto for cycles hasn't changed. only changes to cycles is adding fixed for simply cycles. I will probably remove that requirement before the next version.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 3 of 13, by nudgegoonies

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you two for the infos 😀

About the "fixed" option for CYCLES. I think the old style "number of CYCLES, max or auto" worked well so i see no reason to break all the old conf files!

About the CPUTYPE. I became interested what DOSBox emulates and checked 2 CPUID programs. This one is a program i have found on englisch wikipedia http://www.coli.uni-saarland.de/~eric/stuff/s … pulevel2007.zip (with source and where the cow file has to be renamed to com) and this one http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/ckcpu115.zip . chkcpu works flawless in 0.72 but crashes independant of any command line options in the CVS from 21.8.08. cpulevel works in 0.72 (identyfies as 486) but prints out a message "CPUID support check negative" and the same program crashes in the CVS.

Regards.

Reply 4 of 13, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Qbix can you elaborate a bit about every option and differences between them (speed and compatibility and what they actually do and what are intended for)?

auto - ...............
386_prefetch - .................
386 - ..............
386_slow - ..............
486_slow - ..............
pentium_slow - ............

Reply 7 of 13, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Well check the sources, pagefault triggers are different between 386 and 486
architectures, prefetch queue is only emulated in one of the cputype selectors,
cpuid handling is only present in 486/pentium, and what else useless stuff
i've thought of that may or may not be useful.

Reply 8 of 13, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

auto - the option the DOSBox devs want you to use
386_prefetch - for those pesky games that need it
386 - fast by skipping some (protected mode) checks that are not needed for most games
386_slow - including the above checks, for a few single games
486_slow - ""
pentium_slow - for Windows 95

1+1=10

Reply 10 of 13, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok, so here is how i undersntand it:

386          (includes 386paging) = the base
386_prefetch (includes 386paging) = the base + prefetch
auto (includes 386paging) = the base + 486_id
386_slow (includes 386paging) = the base + some more (protected mode) checks
486_slow (includes 486paging) = the base + 486_id + some more (protected mode) checks + some 486 stuff
pentium_slow (includes 486paging) = the base + pentium_id + some more (protected mode) checks + some pentium stuff

Am I right?

Reply 11 of 13, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

If you're bored search the sources for CPU_ArchitectureType.

auto has instructions up to pentium, reports as 486 (cpuid) and uses
fast (what =386 specifies as well) page privilege checks.

Reply 12 of 13, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What games are these options for? I have searched the forum and found:

386_prefetch - X-Men: Madness in The Murderworld, Terminator 1, Contra, Fifa International Soccer 1994

486_slow - Betrayal in Antara

pentium_slow - Fifa International Soccer 1994, Windows 95

Windows 3.x games

Are there any other? What games are 386 and 386_slow for?