VOGONS

First post, by XenXheng

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

When I try to install The Adventures of Willy Beamish from my floppy drive (A:), the first disk installs ok, then it gives me this message:

"Please insert Willy Beamish disk #1 into drive C:"

I used "mount c c:\" and "mount a a:\ -t floppy" for my commands before I tried the install. My other games (Freddy Pharkas, Sentinel Worlds, etc...) installed fine, but this one is giving me trouble.

I also tried to copy the contents of every disk into one directory, mount that, and install again, but it gave me the same message or failed to provide an install button at all.

When I tried to run the game from this super directory, I got this message in Dosbox's small window before it crashed:

"Illegal GRP4 Call 4"

I also tried to turn off the sound, then turn off EMS and XMS individually (then both) before I tried running the game again, and got the same message.

Can anybody help?

Phoenix Award BIOS v6.00PG
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+
1 Gigabyte RAM
ATI RADEON XPRESS 200 series, 256 MB
Realtek AC97 Audio
Windows XP
Dosbox 0.72

This has happened on three computers now, so these are the specs for the one I'm typing this message from.

Thanks a lot!

Reply 1 of 6, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The game installs and plays with no issues for me. If all the contents of the floppies are copied to a folder on the harddrive, the install is only needed to create the RESOURCE.CFG file. If the game's exe is run without this file, it will run with defaults, i.e. MT-32 sound. The fact that you are having this problem on different PCs makes me think that you have a corrupted file.

BTW, you should never mount the root of your C: drive.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 2 of 6, by XenXheng

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It might be a corrupted file, but I've seen at least two other threads on this board with my same problem:

Insert Disk into Drive C - Willy Beamish
trouble with Willy Beamish floppy installation

I think I'll try messing with the CPU values next, but I hope someone can shed some light on the problem soon.

Thanks!

Reply 3 of 6, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I can't replicate your problem. I don't know if there were different releases of the game. There is no version file like there is with the regular Sierra games. The install.com file that came with my copy has an MD5 of D769EB0FBCA30CBDAB8AA24E0B308104 What does yours have?

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 4 of 6, by XenXheng

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Mine's the same, so I'm still not sure what's going on. I'm going to try downloading a copy of the game from a site and comparing files to see which one is messed up. I'll report back later! And thanks for your help.

Reply 5 of 6, by XenXheng

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Odd, my Volume.005 file is missing from the floppies (maybe it's created in installation?), and Volume.006 is a lot smaller than the downloaded version. Obviously the game needs to be installed to work correctly, or my floppies/drive have a problem.