VOGONS

First post, by idan182

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all

Pentium 233MMX
Socket 7 Motherboard

I've installed a new TEAC FD-55BR 360k 5.25" drive along with my 3.5" floppy.
No matter what I do, I keep getting Floppy disk fail (40) on post, but everything works after that.
It can read any disk without a problem.
If I remove the "floppy seek on post" on bios, it works well but I don't have the nice seek sound.

I have tried to play with the jumpers D0,D1,D2 with no luck.
It works ok on default, D1.

What could be the problem?

Reply 1 of 7, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are the drive types properly set in CMOS Setup?
360 KB = 40 tracks, others are 80 tracks... if it's misconfigured, it's sure to fail while trying to seek beyond 40 tracks during POST.

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 2 of 7, by idan182

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes
It is configured as above:

A: = 1.44MB 3.5" floppy
B: = 360k 5.25" floppy

Reply 3 of 7, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

FD-55BR has more jumpers than just D0..D3
Post a photo of the board with jumpers, hopefully there's somebody with the same drive who can compare them...

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 4 of 7, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also, this stuff may be important - http://minuszerodegrees.net/diskette/5.25_flo … termination.jpg

I've found some photo of FD-55BR, trying to identify the terminator... is that the resistor pack near the 34-pin connector? Is it removable?

Reply 5 of 7, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Could be a stupid (or poorly pirated) BIOS that does not perform the seek correctly on 40-track drives. By the time these motherboards came out everybody pretty much moved to 3.5" floppy drives, and even those were about to become obsolete. While I've never seen a BIOS that would not properly support 360k drives, it's not completly out of the question.

Reply 6 of 7, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Deunan wrote on 2022-03-06, 23:10:

Could be a stupid (or poorly pirated) BIOS that does not perform the seek correctly on 40-track drives. By the time these motherboards came out everybody pretty much moved to 3.5" floppy drives, and even those were about to become obsolete. While I've never seen a BIOS that would not properly support 360k drives, it's not completly out of the question.

Ahh I agree ! Specially because: "If I remove the "floppy seek on post" on bios, it works well".
Yes !! sounds like a quirk in the BIOS, wonder if same would happen if a 720k 3.5" drive.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun