Best CGA & Hercules monochrome games

Topic actions

Reply 220 of 309, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Thandor wrote on 2021-10-08, 17:32:
This topic needs more screenshots! Let those CGA-colors shine! Creative Contraptions: CGA all the way :). It also uses the blue […]
Show full quote

This topic needs more screenshots! Let those CGA-colors shine!

Creative Contraptions: CGA all the way :). It also uses the blue background-color that is not always used in games.

Contrap.png

My recommendation for any CGA setup :

main-qimg-07d297fa38c212517be803b2c799fade-lq.jpg
Filename
File size
9.21 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Source: https://www.quora.com/Do-you-remember-putting … d-white-TV-sets

Just kuddling, err, kidding! :)

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 221 of 309, by Thandor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Grzyb wrote on 2021-10-21, 14:10:

Creative Contraptions

The Incredible Machine for CGA ?

I guess you can indeed see this as a precursor to the Incredible Machine, but with better graphics! 😉

Jo22 wrote on 2021-10-21, 14:31:
My recommendation for any CGA setup : […]
Show full quote
This topic needs more screenshots! Let those CGA-colors shine! Creative Contraptions: CGA all the way :). It also uses the blue […]
Show full quote

This topic needs more screenshots! Let those CGA-colors shine!

Creative Contraptions: CGA all the way 😀. It also uses the blue background-color that is not always used in games.

Contrap.png

Source: https://www.quora.com/Do-you-remember-putting … d-white-TV-sets

Just kuddling, err, kidding! 😀

Never knew this existed 😀. So basically we can get more than 4 CGA colors at 320x200 using an external screen filter 😜.

thandor.net - hardware
And the rest of us would be carousing the aisles, stuffing baloney.

Reply 223 of 309, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
konc wrote on 2021-10-22, 15:44:
Jo22 wrote on 2021-10-21, 14:31:

Immediately thought of Vectrex overlays!

Speaking of which, a fun read: https://www.gamesthatwerent.com/2020/07/vectr … -lost-redesign/

Reply 224 of 309, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't know if they were first with those even. Some of the earliest home pong clones with "tennis, soccer, squash" etc modes had an overlay for the pitch/field. But by 1978 or so the consoles were drawing them. Maybe the spendier ones were doing it from the get-go and it was only the budget versions this applied to.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 225 of 309, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks everyone, there's some cool stuff really! 😁

Btw, I vaguely remember something about old pong consoles.
I thing it's from the 70s, too. I *think* it was related to Radio Shack, as well.

From what I remember,-very vaguely-, is, that early pong consoles generated a colour image on US American TVs (NTSC).

I think it was completely analog, RF and was related to the background picture.
The analog circuitry did generate some sort of rainbow gradient on TV.
The actual picture was very trippy/psychodelic, I believe.

Edit: I *think* I've found something.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/analog … ari-super-pong/

Here are some pictures I've found online, too.
Not sure, but could that have been done by modulating an RF signal (ext. modulator installed) through clever use of
the CGA?
I mean, by playing with the sync and blanking signals etc?
Dunno, it's just a wild guess.

I just vaguely remember a hack of the ZX80/ZX81 (?), in which sound was produced by manipulating the internal RF generator.
There was no provision for any sound inside that modulator, though. It was all software.
The sound was generated by causing a "burst", overmodulation or causing adjacent channel interference, not sure.
If properly timed (or rather, wrongly), if I understand correctly,
the video carrier was interfering with the audio carrier space.
Thus, a noise could be heard on a TV connected to it. Without extra hardware!

Attachments

• Z(5).jpg
    Filename
    Z(5).jpg
    File size
    6.13 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • EqLaSVIl.jpg
    Filename
    EqLaSVIl.jpg
    File size
    18.33 KiB
    Views
    File license

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 226 of 309, by Akuma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Akuma wrote on 2021-10-03, 10:01:
** EXPECT BUGS** and **USE AT OWN RISK** apply here, it has only tested in DOSBox. I still don't have a proper name, I just name […]
Show full quote

** EXPECT BUGS** and **USE AT OWN RISK** apply here, it has only tested in DOSBox.
I still don't have a proper name, I just named it CGA.COM because it was short 😉

This is the first version of the emulator pack with menu, simple navigation and an INI file to edit. I need help making the INI sane, its just a bunch of options thrown in now.

Everything has been packed into one ZIP file, just unpack somewhere in your PATH and it'll find its way.

No complaints, no feedback. Is anyone using this?

And I forgot to mention, that you can start a game with CGA MYGAME.EXE. Some of the emulators mess up the display and I hate typing in the dark 😉 Alone....again.

Reply 227 of 309, by coolhaken

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Some PC-booter games are supported by simcga v4.0, e.g. WinterGames and World Karate Championship
On a real machine with hercules card, we can use "simcga s" to play them.
If you can dump them to diskimages, modify them to bypass keydisk protection, those games also work under DOSBox.
However, we can't use "simcga s" in DOSBox.
The only method I know is to load simcga to upper memory then boot your game images.
But there is a known issue with the LH command in DOSBox where many programs do not actually load into upper memory.
Please search VOGONS for the small utility "LHUP", use it, do the following steps and have fun with your games.

lhup
lh simcga
boot wintergames.img
sshot-2.png
Filename
sshot-2.png
File size
8.49 KiB
Views
File license
sshot-3.png
Filename
sshot-3.png
File size
9.06 KiB
Views
File license
sshot-4.png
Filename
sshot-4.png
File size
7.01 KiB
Views
File license
sshot-1.png
Filename
sshot-1.png
File size
8.18 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 228 of 309, by edumoes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Rise of The Dragon by Dynamix / Sierra.
Running on a Hercules/MDA clone & 8088 - V20 Cpu @ 12mhz.
This game support CGA 2 colors (nice and clean graphics). Running with HGCIBM 1.1 CGA emulator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNrIuHOHPRo

rise.jpg
Filename
rise.jpg
File size
196.13 KiB
Views
File comment
Rise Of The Dragon MDA 2 colors.
File license

Reply 229 of 309, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Excellent! Both your taste and the graphics! 😃👍

//My video channel//

Reply 230 of 309, by Green Screen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello to all fans of Hercules graphics card.
I invite you to my new YouTube channel.
I post gameplays from old games,all running on hercules graphics card.Only real hardware no emulations:)
here is a link to the latest video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCGADcr5Ph8

Reply 233 of 309, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
coolhaken wrote on 2021-12-13, 13:34:
Some PC-booter games are supported by simcga v4.0, e.g. WinterGames and World Karate Championship On a real machine with hercule […]
Show full quote

Some PC-booter games are supported by simcga v4.0, e.g. WinterGames and World Karate Championship
On a real machine with hercules card, we can use "simcga s" to play them.
If you can dump them to diskimages, modify them to bypass keydisk protection, those games also work under DOSBox.
However, we can't use "simcga s" in DOSBox.
The only method I know is to load simcga to upper memory then boot your game images.
But there is a known issue with the LH command in DOSBox where many programs do not actually load into upper memory.
Please search VOGONS for the small utility "LHUP", use it, do the following steps and have fun with your games.

lhup
lh simcga
boot wintergames.img

sshot-2.pngsshot-3.pngsshot-4.pngsshot-1.png

sorry guys, this does not work on a real machine. either on wintergames or wldkarate...no chance on cga-emulation with hercules card and simcga.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 234 of 309, by KarlG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found this topic because I've acquired a HP 200LX palmtop, which is pretty much a pocket XT running DOS. It uses CGA graphics on a B&W LCD screen that can do 4-color CGA in greyscale, or the high-res monochrome CGA mode. I'm having fun trying different DOS games on it, and am mining this topic for ideas.

I didn't see any mention of Ultima V here. Not only can it do CGA which looks good on a monochrome display, but it also has native Hercules monochrome support (the version you can get from gog.com will display the Hercules graphics without any special configuration if you set DOSBox to use Hercules. I wish I could see it on an actual amber monitor, but here are a couple of screenshots from DOSBox, at least.

Screen Shot 2022-06-27 at 1.32.28 PM.png
Filename
Screen Shot 2022-06-27 at 1.32.28 PM.png
File size
151.04 KiB
Views
File license
Screen Shot 2022-06-27 at 1.32.55 PM.png
Filename
Screen Shot 2022-06-27 at 1.32.55 PM.png
File size
149.67 KiB
Views
File license
Screen Shot 2022-06-27 at 8.37.23 AM.png
Filename
Screen Shot 2022-06-27 at 8.37.23 AM.png
File size
151.06 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 235 of 309, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
KarlG wrote on 2022-06-27, 17:40:

I wish I could see it on an actual amber monitor, but here are a couple of screenshots from DOSBox, at least.

I do have an amber Hercules monitor! 😃
But my XT isn't operational at the moment.
- I removed the old HDD, because I ran out of disk space. 😒

Maybe another fellow Vogon will be able to take some photos, please? 🙂

//My video channel//

Reply 236 of 309, by OldCat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I didn't see any mention of Ultima V here. Not only can it do CGA which looks good on a monochrome display, but it also has native Hercules monochrome support (the version you can get from gog.com will display the Hercules graphics without any special configuration if you set DOSBox to use Hercules.

Thank you very much for contributing! I don't have GOG version of Ultima V (and summer sale has just ended, bummer!), but I will definitely try it.

I wish I could see it on an actual amber monitor, but here are a couple of screenshots from DOSBox, at least.

...and you will! I just need some time to do it, but as soon as I test it, I will post photos here.

Reply 237 of 309, by OldCat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

By happy accident Ultima V was on sale on GOG today (still is, by the way). So, a quick and legal off-screen shot for you:

Ultima_V_on_Herc_AT.jpg
Filename
Ultima_V_on_Herc_AT.jpg
File size
163.41 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 238 of 309, by coolhaken

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dr.zeissler wrote on 2022-05-20, 15:36:

sorry guys, this does not work on a real machine. either on wintergames or wldkarate...no chance on cga-emulation with hercules card and simcga.

I don't have a real XT machine to test this, but remember played those games with Hercules about 35 years ago.
So I tried PCem V17 and noticed that SIMCGA is not fully compatible with all 8088 machines.
In PCem, you can try this machine "[8088] Phoenix XT clone", the game World Karate Championship works fine for me.
By the way, there is also SIMCGA v4.1, I think/feel it works better than SIMCGA v4.0.