VOGONS

AMD K6 Quake2 and Quake 3, aiming for stars.

Topic actions

Reply 80 of 109, by Necrodude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello everyone. I just wanted to know that we have started a Quake3 tweaking competition. The winner gets a Voodoo3 2000 card.

rXoyJVY.png

Re: Competition! Win a 3DFX Voodoo3 Graphics Card. ----#Quake3toTheMax----

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0UaSexTKsIs

Reply 81 of 109, by Necrodude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yesterday I had a benchmarking session on my K6-3+ 400@616mhz
Here is the results:

c9GCaDY.png

A new windows installation. A faster graphic card. Geforce2 Ti. Better drivers.
n3LEGJw.png

A bunch of new tweaks to Quake 3. And behold:
UFWlxp4.png

Quake3 runs ridiculous fast. This must be a World record of sorts. 😀

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhQz_MtvZa4

Reply 82 of 109, by Necrodude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yesterday I raised the bus speed to 115mhz = 630mhz
I also did a couple of WPCREDIT tweaks

Got a boost to 183 fps i Quake3

Attachments

• q3 183.jpg
    Filename
    q3 183.jpg
    File size
    281.48 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 84 of 109, by Necrodude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Skalabala wrote on 2022-05-04, 07:10:

I must test that game tweaks on my K6! Please share(blush)

I will share all the tweaks after the #Quake3toTheMax competition is over.

I can share my WPCREDIT settings. I will post a screenshot from WPCRSET during the evening.

Last edited by Necrodude on 2022-05-07, 08:00. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 85 of 109, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't think you'll like them. 😁

In all seriousness, I think game tweaks should only be done as long as they don't affect the game experience in a meaningful way.
It's a fine balance, but at some point, if performance is that important, you're better off just sticking to the older Quake 2 and GLQuake, since they will look much better. 😀

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k

Reply 86 of 109, by Necrodude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bloodem wrote on 2022-05-04, 09:46:

In all seriousness, I think game tweaks should only be done as long as they don't affect the game experience in a meaningful way.

I somewhat I agree with you. BUT The goal with all this tweaking is to see how far we can go with slow computers. Can we make Quake3 playable on a Pentium 233mmx 60fps+ ? Or a k6-2 450 with 125fps?

I think when we all together have found out all the performance gaining tweaks, and we all now what makes the game work. We can make a game that looks quite good and runs a lot faster then the original game.

At the moment, if you use my config file, it is quite easy to just lower the picmip value to one, and disable vertex lightning. The game will look very pretty, and it will be MUCH faster then the vanilla game.

I have been thinking about making a HIGH , MEDIUM and LOW version of the tweaks. All versions are faster then the vanilla settings. But first I need to make the game as fast as it can be.

Two days ago I tried my version of the game on a Dual Pentium PRO rigg with 333mhz Pentium II overdrives. The computer has no AGP.
With my version and a special SMP dll file I got 93 frames per second. Without the dll I got 85. What I am getting at is that I can now play the game quite well on machines the usually got around 25 frames per second.

Last edited by Necrodude on 2022-05-07, 10:19. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 87 of 109, by Necrodude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here is the WCREDIT settings autoloaded by WPCRSET. The motherboard is a ASUS P5A rev 1.04
I did some more wpcredit tweaks and broke 5k in 3dmark200 at 616mhz.

Attachments

Reply 88 of 109, by Necrodude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A small update. The #Quake3toTheMax competition is over. The winners has been anounced, and their prizes is on their way.

I have gone through all he submitted results and picked the best bits and pieces.

This resulted in another 10 frames per second. So I am getting a stable 193 frames per second in Quake3 with the latest tweaks.

I tried this version on a 233mmx@266 with a Nvidia Riva 128 card an got 43,2 frames per second in the timedemo. I got 8,9 frames per second with vanilla Q3 with stock settings.

I would argue that "buttersmooth" 60fps is possible on that machine with 2x 3DFX Voodoo2 in SLI, since a Riva 128 is slower then a Voodoo1.

Last edited by Necrodude on 2022-07-23, 11:53. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 89 of 109, by drosse1meyer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice thread

Tweaking is fun

P1: Packard Bell - 233 MMX, Voodoo1, 64 MB, ALS100+
P2-V2: Dell Dimension - 400 Mhz, Voodoo2, 256 MB
P!!! Custom: 1 Ghz, GeForce2 Pro/64MB, 384 MB

Reply 90 of 109, by Necrodude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here is the latest patch
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Al5OEc0Sc9SsgZ8QVzY6-3fuENpL6Q?e=GnE7Ul

Just drag and drop the files to your Quake3 folder.

The rar file contains a custom open source compiled exe, Speed Dll:s, a small custom pak file, and tweaked config files.

Last edited by Necrodude on 2023-03-28, 07:42. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 92 of 109, by myne

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm very late to the party, but here's the config I used way back when to play on a P166 @250 against some kid who ranted on the local LAN forum that 500mhz was the minimum that should be allowed at the LAN.

Was just a standard dick measuring contest. Nothing was won or lost but pride. I can't recall the video card. Might have been a GF2MX or Rage128 since that's what I had around that time.

I left the actual game recording in there too. The date on that file is a Sunday, which seems about right.

As I recall, it was very playable.

Attachments

Reply 93 of 109, by Necrodude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
myne wrote on 2022-07-26, 03:57:
I'm very late to the party, but here's the config I used way back when to play on a P166 @250 against some kid who ranted on the […]
Show full quote

I'm very late to the party, but here's the config I used way back when to play on a P166 @250 against some kid who ranted on the local LAN forum that 500mhz was the minimum that should be allowed at the LAN.

Was just a standard dick measuring contest. Nothing was won or lost but pride. I can't recall the video card. Might have been a GF2MX or Rage128 since that's what I had around that time.

I left the actual game recording in there too. The date on that file is a Sunday, which seems about right.

Awesome! Thank you!
250mhz on a 166mhz cpu. Thats some nice overclocking! 😀

Reply 94 of 109, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
I'm very late to the party, but here's the config I used way back when to play on a P166 @250 against some kid who ranted on the […]
Show full quote

Reminds me of this:

https://youtu.be/jx-KE-xlNS0

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 95 of 109, by Skalabala

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What would be the best tweaks for good fps but also the game must almost look normal?
And also how many games use this engine?
Could get some games to run smoother with all these tweaks 😁
Would love to run return to castle wolfenstien with decent fps on my k6!

Reply 96 of 109, by myne

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Necrodude wrote on 2022-07-26, 09:09:
Show full quote

Awesome! Thank you!
250mhz on a 166mhz cpu. Thats some nice overclocking! 😀

Iirc it was a super 7 board from a k6. It's not all that surprising since the mmx was sold at 233, but hey it was pretty decent for its era. Funny really. My first OC was 14mhz (66-80) and now that's an FSB rounding error.

Reply 98 of 109, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Yekg01 wrote on 2022-07-27, 19:43:

That’s basically just a collector’s item now. The 570 2+ chips being able to be modded now makes it possible for about anyone to hit the 600 mhz goal on super socket 7

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 99 of 109, by Necrodude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Skalabala wrote on 2022-07-27, 02:32:
What would be the best tweaks for good fps but also the game must almost look normal? And also how many games use this engine? C […]
Show full quote

What would be the best tweaks for good fps but also the game must almost look normal?
And also how many games use this engine?
Could get some games to run smoother with all these tweaks 😁
Would love to run return to castle wolfenstien with decent fps on my k6!

I would do something like this:
Start the tweaked game.
Go in to the graphic meny and set the graphic settings as you want.
Right now at this moment you are enjoying nicer and FASTER graphics.
The reason why is that your autoexec.cfg has loaded a bunch of tweaks that isnt available in the graphics menu.
All the changes you did will be saved in the q3config.cfg file that resides in the baseq3 folder.
At this moment the q3config file contains the settings for nicer and faster graphics.

After this you will need to turn of the game and go to the baseq3 folder.
Make a backup of the autoexec.cfg file if you want to keep it, and then delete the autoexec.cfg file.
You can keep it if you want it. But then you need to take the code lines from the q3config and add those lines in the bottom of the file.
You dont need to add the keybindings from the q3config file to the autoexec file. Sure you can. But it is not needed. The same is for your name and similar stuff.

The autoexec.cfg works like this.
It automatically loads the settings in the file after the game started and it overrides the stuff in the q3config file.
It is good if you want stuff to revert back to a certain state every time you start the game. So you actually dont need the file.
BUT the game engine constantly works with the q3config.cfg file, and writes stuff to it.
So if you dont want to have a autoexec.cfg file you need to write protect your q3config.cfg file. If you dont there is a risk that the game engine will ruin your nice fast config file.

Next if you want to have nice fast graphics is the pak9.pk3 file that resides in the baseq3 folder.
You could either delete it and loose all the fps increasing stuff, or open it with packscape and delete the texture folder.
If you want to have normal sound you should also delete the Sound folder.

About return to castle wolfenstein and other games that uses the same and similar game engines.
You can use the autoexec.cfg file. Just add it to the games corresponding baseq3 folder. Keep the following in mind.
You need to open the autoexec.cfg file and delete all lines that have Quake3 specific stuff, like skins and stuff. Also you might want to see the gun in return to castle wolfenstein and other games.
There is a line:
seta cg_drawGun "0"

change it to

seta cg_drawGun "1"