VOGONS

Reply 20 of 27, by Lotosdrache

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

😀
First, I didn't know you've got one.
Second, I don't know where you live.
Third, an uncompressed high resolution picture to my email would be much faster, cheaper, and easier.
Fourth, time time time...

Can you measure whether there is a direct connection from any soldering point of R170, R171, or R155 to L2 cache pin 41 or 40?

You've got a PN.

Reply 21 of 27, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did any of you guys ever come up with detailed schematics of how the cache is attached to the cpu and north bridge in your travels? I'm investigating the possibility of attaching cache to a CPU interposer and disabling the mainboard's cache all together. I know it sounds crazy but I have it on good authority that it might be able to be done.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 22 of 27, by Lotosdrache

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ohhh...
a very difficult approach that requires deep knowledge. 👍

How do you think is it possible to disconnect the northbridge from motherboard's L2 cache and connect it to L2 on your interposer instead?

For parts of my investigation, I removed the northbridge from a defective AT motherboard to make some measurements.

The easiest way would be looking into datasheets of chipsets and any L2 cache chip preferable 512 kiB or 1024 kiB. I think manufacturer (EliteMT, UMC or tm) doesn't matter. They all should be pin compatible.

Then you should consider that different chipsets need different tag RAM sizes depending on L2 cache size, e. g. Aladdin V needs 32k8 tag RAM for 1 MiB L2 cache, MVP3 needs 128k8 tag RAM for 2 MiB L2 cache. 32k8 is a 28-pin chip, 128k8 uses 32 pins.

On my own account:

Well, actually I didn't want to buy another Super Socket 7 board. However, one hour before I started my search on ebay some days ago this board was offered there:

Asus P5A Rev. 1.06 1 MiBk.JPG
Filename
File size
1.7 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

An Asus P5A REV. 1.06 with 1 MiB L2 cache for only 35 € + 24 € for shipment!

One should grasp the happiness with hands... 😀

Last edited by Lotosdrache on 2022-04-11, 18:35. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 23 of 27, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Lotosdrache wrote on 2022-04-04, 13:38:
Ohhh... a very difficult approach that requires deep knowledge. :thumbsup: […]
Show full quote

Ohhh...
a very difficult approach that requires deep knowledge. 👍

How do you think is it possible to disconnect the northbridge from motherboard's L2 cache and connect it to L2 on your interposer instead?

For parts of my investigation, I removed the northbridge from a defective AT motherboard to make some measurements.

The easiest way would be looking into datasheets of chipsets and any L2 cache chip preferable 512 kiB or 1024 kiB. I think manufacturer (EliteMT, UMC or tm) doesn't matter. They all should be pin compatible.

Then you should consider that different chipsets need different tag RAM sizes depending on L2 cache size, e. g. Aladdin V needs 32k8 tag RAM for 1 MiB L2 cache, MVP3 needs 128k8 tag RAM for 2 MiB L2 cache. 32k8 is a 28-pin chip, 128k8 uses 32 pins.

On my own account:

Well, actually I didn't want to buy another Super Socket 7 board. However, one hour before I started my search on ebay some days ago this board was offered there:
An Asus P5A REV. 1.06 with 1 MiB L2 cache for only 35 € + 25 € for shipment!

I haven't stumbled across an abundance of diagrams. many of these chips are listed on websites with no datasheets, or datasheets with no diagrams

I was looking at the ali aladdin v chipset datasheet and noticed connections between the NB and the cache directly. that of course would be a huge issue. but as it wasn't a detailed diagram, but rather a simplified one I wasn't sure what to make of it.

I really need a trace level diagram, not a bus level. someone was saying it's possible to do this though, and this person would probably know a lot better than I about this in particular.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 24 of 27, by Skalabala

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Lotosdrache wrote on 2022-04-04, 13:38:
________________________________________________________________________ […]
Show full quote

On my own account:

An Asus P5A REV. 1.06 with 1 MiB L2 cache for only 35 € + 25 € for shipment!

Wow, now that is a rare find!!
I love the fact that yours has a year 2000 chipset 😁
And it looks like the BIOS was updated?

Reply 25 of 27, by Lotosdrache

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Skalabala wrote on 2022-04-05, 09:12:

I love the fact that yours has a year 2000 chipset 😁
And it looks like the BIOS was updated?

Yes, that's pretty nice but sadly southbridge is still revision A1 and not B1 -> No UDMA66 on this board for daddy. 🙁
BIOS revision should be 1011 BETA 05 according to seller's picture. Haven't checked it up to now. Board went to storage immediately after arrival.

For now, I will stay with my Gigabyte GA-5AX as I prefer the latest revision mostly, i.e. in this case chipset revision H.
The Asus is in reserve.

I have only less time on Eastern to play around with this. My nephew likes watching me playing Tomb Raider Chronicles on my Micron Powerdigm XSU with
- Micron Samurai chipset 😁 😁 😁
- Dual Intel Pentium II - 333 MHz (SL2S5, Deschutes, dA1-Stepping)
- 2x 256 MiB Micron PC100U-222-620 ECC SD-RAM
(Original 2x 128 MiB PC100U-3 ECC SD-RAM were manufactured by Samsung Electronics Corporation 👎. That's a no-go in my Micron workstation 😉)
- 3Dlabs Oxygen GVX1 (GLINT R3 and Gamma G1) 😁 😁 😁
(Original Diamond FireGL 1000 Pro was to slow for games 😉)
- miroHISCORE 3D (3Dfx Voodoo)
- Creative Labs Sound Blaster AWE64 (CT4520) -> will be replaced by Creative Sound Blaster AWE32 CT3980 (soon 🙄)
- 3Com 3C905-TX
- Adaptec AHA-2940-UW
- Seagate Cheetah 15K.5 ST3146855LW Wide-SCSI Server HDD
- Plextor PX-32TSi ODD

Arrival:

IMG_2426.JPG
Filename
IMG_2426.JPG
File size
1.56 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Original state:

IMG_2428k.JPG
Filename
IMG_2428k.JPG
File size
890.77 KiB
Views
File license

Preston motherboard only: 😁 😁 😁

IMG_2431k.JPG
Filename
IMG_2431k.JPG
File size
500.27 KiB
Views
File license

New graphics card: 😁 😁 😁

IMG_2587k.JPG
Filename
IMG_2587k.JPG
File size
877.81 KiB
Views
File license

And for lunch after a hard day's work: 😁 😁 😁

IMG_2589.JPG
Filename
IMG_2589.JPG
File size
1.32 MiB
Views
File license

😉

Last edited by Lotosdrache on 2022-04-16, 16:49. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 27 of 27, by Lotosdrache

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks.
With this system, 3Dlabs Oxygen GVX1 gives me about 9 fps in Quake 3 demo four.dm_68 if I remember correctly. 😉

Regarding P5A southbridge: I've got a defective Jetway 542C with Rev B1 southbridge. Maybe sometime in the future I will try a transplantation.