Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 22 of 353, by dreamblaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What a nice card !

Visit http://www.serdashop.com for retro sound cards, video converters, ...
DreamBlaster X2, S2, S2P, HDD Clicker, ... many projects !
New X2GS SE & X16GS sound card : https://www.serdashop.com/X2GS-SE ,
Thanks for your support !

Reply 23 of 353, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wow, a more than decent card with 8330!

Take my money please 😀

( I have a little pile of AudioExcel cards and even with their crappy quality they are probably the best one-card all-round solution out there, at least for the less picky later DOS stuff)

Reply 28 of 353, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have no idea how the hell I completely missed this thread, but CMI8330 is quite possibly my favorite ISA sound card chipset. It ticks all the boxes, except most cards using this are built with garbage quality PCBs and parts. This will probably be an amazing sound card.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 30 of 353, by FioGermi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Have i been sleeping on something here? I use to pass on a lot of clone sound cards with these kind of uhh...knockoff? (Not knockoff, but you get what i mean) soundchips over the FM quality. But i gave a listen to some of those examples in the first post and wow! That FM sounds really good! Noise free and sounds like the real thing to my ears! (But apparently its not?)

Still a tiny bit sus of these OPL clones, but overall very impressed! Makes me consider making a purchase to replace my actual SB PRO. Great job!

Reply 31 of 353, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
FioGermi wrote on 2022-04-19, 07:01:

Have i been sleeping on something here? I use to pass on a lot of clone sound cards with these kind of uhh...knockoff? (Not knockoff, but you get what i mean) soundchips over the FM quality. But i gave a listen to some of those examples in the first post and wow! That FM sounds really good! Noise free and sounds like the real thing to my ears! (But apparently its not?)

Still a tiny bit sus of these OPL clones, but overall very impressed! Makes me consider making a purchase to replace my actual SB PRO. Great job!

Couple of threads about that. Basically, noise levels and bad mixing aside (which this quality card should solve), no one was able to distinguish between real OPL3 and the output of the 8330. It's almost certainly not licensed, but it appears to be a 1:1 clone.

As for replacing SBPro: this is a different beast with different strengths. Unlike the SBPro it's always had (bug-free) MPU-401 MIDI, SB16 support (including high DMA) and WSS support. However I've found it to be a bit hit and miss in older, very touchy DOS games (eg. Ultima 7). In a late DOS build, where SB16 and WSS are relevant, this would be a vastly superior card. For those old early 1990s titles, an original SBPro with an original MPU401(AT) or clone next to it for MIDI would still work better.

Reply 32 of 353, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
FioGermi wrote on 2022-04-19, 07:01:

The OPL3 clone integrated into the CMI8330 is (allegedly) a 1:1 copy of Yamaha OPL3. I don't know if this was properly licensed or not, but it sounds perfect.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 34 of 353, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hello there!

I've been beta testing a prototype of this card, and it's simply the best CMI8330 implementation i've ever put my hands on. It does SB, SB Pro, SB16 and WSS. Want something more? Add the optional MPU-401 daughtercard addon and make it perfect. Think about this: You have a motherboard that you really like but unfortunately it only has 1 or 2 ISA slots. This is one more card in addition to the Orpheus that helps to mitigate that problem.

Compatibility is very good, and the OPL3 sounds to my ears indistinguishable from the real OPL3. It does not squeak and squeal like some other implementations, so be rest assured. Having SB16 compatibility with true High DMA access is a fun plus. The Last Express, adventure game by Jordan Mechner, to my surprise, only works if you have a Sound Blaster 16 or compatible. No support for anything else, so this thing has got you covered. I've had no issues with games that require the CT-VOICE driver from Creative, so very happy about that.

Another great production by Marmes and Keropi!

Reply 35 of 353, by ldeveraux

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Marmes wrote on 2022-04-17, 16:20:
ldeveraux wrote on 2022-04-17, 11:15:

apologies as I don't see it, but what's the prospective date of availability?

Soon, I believe during next month if everything is ok!

Thank you, looking forward to it! Can we preorder yet?

Reply 36 of 353, by holdencars11

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nice project! I've used these on PC Chips motherboards and CMI8330 had always worked well for compatibility... I think these use CRL (Central Research Labs) for HRTF which was before Sensaura was Sensaura. I think I recall the vxd drivers having an audio3d.dll, but I don't think a3d is implimented.

I do still wonder about the 8738 if FM block has actually been removed from later chip revisions... The drivers have always been a bit half baked though. Someone should de-lid the chip in the name of science to investigate.

But good thing if there is a supply of the 8330s remaining.

Ryzen5 1600AF/ASRock B450Mac/16Gb/HD7750
i7 2600K/P67A-C43/16GB/GTX560
i7 960/MSI X58 Pro/8GB/8800GTS
Athlon II x4 620/GA-M56-S3/8GB/8800GTS
Duron 1300/A7S333/512MB/MX440
6x86MX PR200/PC Chips M571/64MB/ET6000
NEC PowerMate1 268 10MHz
And another 40 rigs.

Reply 38 of 353, by Ulfenknulfen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

WOW - very interesting project. I will definitely buy a complete card (with 401 addition) 😀

greetz
Paddy

🎵 Waveblaster Adaptor for IDE-HDD Swap Frames
🎧 Beepblaster 1.0 Wavetable Module
🎶 Roland MT-32 Buffer overflow Hardware Fix
🕹️🖱️USB HID Devices on PS/2 and Gameport.