VOGONS

First post, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Has anyone sampled the off-the-shelf spray paints to find the ones which best match old computer cases? I have tried Rust-oleum Heirloom white and ivory bisque, both both are a bit too "bright". In one of the photos, I am showing my creamiest tower, but the heirloom white is too biscuit-coloured and bright, while the ivory bisque looks to be of a better match, but still quite a bit too "bright".

It is very difficult to accurately portray colours through the camera/monitor, but from what I tell, it seems that "computer beige" is an ivory colour with a hint of grey-green. Has anyone found a suitable off-the-shelf representation of this colour in a spray can? From the two I have tested, ivory bisque is the closer match, but not close enough. If you look at the second attached photo, you can see the actual case inbetween the ivory bisque and the heirloom white. This case is one of the brighter cases too; it is the 3rd case from the right of the first photo.

Attachments

• Cases.jpg
    Filename
    Cases.jpg
    File size
    396.55 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • cardboard.jpg
    Filename
    cardboard.jpg
    File size
    244.78 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Colours_4.jpg
    Filename
    Colours_4.jpg
    File size
    242.97 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Colours_2.jpg
    Filename
    Colours_2.jpg
    File size
    177.71 KiB
    Views
    File license

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 1 of 26, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I recently bought a couple of cans of Rust-oleum Chalked Chiffon Cream based on a post by user liqmat. I haven't had the time to test it myself yet, but according to him it was the one that more closely matched the beige of those old cases.

Reply 2 of 26, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

is there some RAL Number for the Colors you use ?

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 4 of 26, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
matze79 wrote:

is there some RAL Number for the Colors you use ?

Yeah please let us know if there are any RAL codes on the cans.

Off the top of my mind I would have said RAL 1013 Oyster White seems to be a good pick for a case beige but I can't find any photos of people who used this color..

I've also seen some cases painted RAL 9003 Signal White and it seemed a bit too white at first but I would guess it's probably closer to how the cases looked when they first came out of their boxes. I actually have a NOS AT case and was kind of amazed at how white it is when I took it out.

RAL RAL 9016 Traffic White is also a good candidate.

Has anyone actually tried either of these colors before?

There is also that not all cases were the same hue, some are more white and some are more beige. If I were to wager a guess these cases came out of the factory looking mostly like RAL 9003 for the whiter specimens and RAL 9016 for the beige specimens.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 5 of 26, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here's a little comparison I did for some RAL paint codes; I compared them to the three most commonly referred to spray paints on the market as well as the color of my Deskpro EN from my own photographs.

Long story short: Oyster WHite seems to be a good match for the older, really beige 80s to early 90s cases while Signal White seems to be a good match for whiter late 90s to 00s cases.

Attachments

• Retro PC Colors.jpg
    Filename
    Retro PC Colors.jpg
    File size
    106.79 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 6 of 26, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I tried Rustoleum Almond appliance surface paint, and it was definitely too yellow for my tastes. Probably not what the original color was either.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 7 of 26, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keenmaster486 wrote:

I tried Rustoleum Almond appliance surface paint, and it was definitely too yellow for my tastes. Probably not what the original color was either.

Rustoleum Almond is often referred to for painting Amiga 500 cases and early C1084/S monitors which have a definite brown tint to the plastic.

Reply 8 of 26, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Do you know which manufacturer makes a signal cream and traffic white? I'd like to try some of these and compare them with chalked chiffon cream and ivory bisque.

Reply 9 of 26, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

RAL color codes are universal and you can find these colors manufactured by many brands in places like hardware and auto part stores.

I was looking at Montana Gold sprays the other day as they are very very high quality and have great adherence to plastic even without primer, and I noticed two that are outstanding: Shock White Cream and Pebble.

And with that, I broke down the alternatives into two groups; one for the more almond-like (Y>5%) cases akin to the Amiga 500 and and one for the more white-like cases (Y>5%) akin to the Compaq OEMs and most cases from the Pentium era and onwards.

The file is attached below.

I feel like RAL1013 for those almond cases and RAL 9003 for the whiter cases are mostly spot on. It also happens to be that I actually have a can of RAL 1013 at home, and Iplaced an order for a RAL 9003, so I will spray them side by side onto cardboard and lay them on a couple of cases I have around, and post photos of the comparisons next week.

Attachments

• Retro PC Colors.jpg
    Filename
    Retro PC Colors.jpg
    File size
    130.33 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 10 of 26, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote:

RAL color codes are universal and you can find these colors manufactured by many brands in places like hardware and auto part stores.

I am looking at my spray can of Krylon Almond and the Rust-oleum ivory bisque and I don't see an RAL number. This is all the hardware store I went to sells. Which brands have RAL numbers? Do we need to go to some specialty store to get RAL-numbered spray cans? Is there an online shop you can recommend in N. America to order cans by RAL number?

Reply 11 of 26, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

These are the two closest colors I could find (available) that match. I purchased a can of Krylon Satin Ivory tonight, but I will have to wait until the weather improves to see how well it matches to my generic beige cases. The Heirloom White seems pretty close to the Enlight Exacta 6552 case; Krylon Satin Ivory is just a hint darker, and tinge biscuity than the Heirloom White.

Attachments

• 20190329_173139.jpg
    Filename
    20190329_173139.jpg
    File size
    299.33 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20190329_172524.jpg
    Filename
    20190329_172524.jpg
    File size
    533.42 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20190329_172444.jpg
    Filename
    20190329_172444.jpg
    File size
    403.48 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20190329_172421.jpg
    Filename
    20190329_172421.jpg
    File size
    461.05 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 12 of 26, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I recall seeing the chalked chiffon cream at Canadian Tire. I intend to pick some up the next time I'm in that particular strip mall.

If the Krylon Satin Ivory is a hint creamier than the Heirloom white, then it is probably too "brown" for my cases.

Reply 13 of 26, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This dude used the Krylon Satin Ivory spray paint for his front panel USB 3.0 ports while building a sleeper PC https://imgur.com/a/8e2EnWI

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 14 of 26, by FuzzyLogic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
oeuvre wrote:

This dude used the Krylon Satin Ivory spray paint for his front panel USB 3.0 ports while building a sleeper PC https://imgur.com/a/8e2EnWI

Dude totally using my trademarked, copyrighted, and patented "Beige Beauty" name without permission: My P90 restored RAWR!!!!! 😈

But I do like his Sleeper PC even though that Krylon Satin Ivory isn't beige enough.

Reply 15 of 26, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I picked up the chalked chiffon cream today. Attached are the results. If you are trying to matched a yellowed ABS bezel, the chiffon cream might work for you. I'd rather retrobrite the bezel and find the original metal case colour though.

More_Colours.jpg
Filename
More_Colours.jpg
File size
171.92 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 16 of 26, by ildonaldo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Spraypaint is in most cases my choice, when retrobright failed or did produce "spotty" results.
In such cases, I use this two colours for painting old cases and drive bezels:
a) In most cases: RAL 9002 grey white, silk mat does the trick.
b) ... or, if a bit more beige tint is required: RAL 1013 oyster white, silk mat

In my experiance, one of this two colours matches with most of the hardware I intend to use.

Building my own PCs since 1991 - for my retro builds it's "no CF-disks, no Floppy emulators, no modern cases etc.", only the real and authentic stuff whenever possible.

Reply 18 of 26, by bitslasher

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ildonaldo wrote on 2020-12-08, 10:50:
Spraypaint is in most cases my choice, when retrobright failed or did produce "spotty" results. In such cases, I use this two co […]
Show full quote

Spraypaint is in most cases my choice, when retrobright failed or did produce "spotty" results.
In such cases, I use this two colours for painting old cases and drive bezels:
a) In most cases: RAL 9002 grey white, silk mat does the trick.
b) ... or, if a bit more beige tint is required: RAL 1013 oyster white, silk mat

In my experiance, one of this two colours matches with most of the hardware I intend to use.

Hello, where do you buy RAL 9002? I've tried finding it with no luck. Hoped maybe it was just given a catchy name by one of the common paint brands, but can't figure out which one it might be.

Reply 19 of 26, by ildonaldo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

RAL is a european colour palette but you can simply find a conversion table at google .
But anyway, as a professional, this two RAL colours are the best matching I've been able to find.
(tried several other colour paletts as e.g. Pantone, HKS & co.)

But maybe your favoured car body painter or the paint department in your DYI shop can help you to find a proper colour code ...

Building my own PCs since 1991 - for my retro builds it's "no CF-disks, no Floppy emulators, no modern cases etc.", only the real and authentic stuff whenever possible.