VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 44800 of 52340, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Decided to add a HX model socket 7 board to the collection since I dont have one and ran across a Gigabyte GA-586HX with a K5 Pr166, 48mb of ram and a ATI Mach GPU for a reasonable price and threw the seller a offer for it.

@Sphere478 as soon as this arrives Ill throw the Parhelia 256 PCI-X into it and run some benchmarks for you.

s-l1600 (4).jpg
Filename
s-l1600 (4).jpg
File size
385.96 KiB
Views
File comment
Seller Photo
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
s-l1600 (5).jpg
Filename
s-l1600 (5).jpg
File size
210.96 KiB
Views
File comment
Seller Photo
File license

Seems to have had the Dallas clock replaced with a socket and new clock which is perfect since it means I dont have to faff about doing it myself, I dont have a K5 either so it'll be fun to benchmark it and see what it can do compared to a K6 and a K6-2. Will be interesting to see the scaling as AMD worked out the bugs and fabbing issues.

Reply 44801 of 52340, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-05-27, 02:35:

Seems to have had the Dallas clock replaced with a socket and new clock which is perfect since it means I dont have to faff about doing it myself

I suggest replacing that RTC battery (very likely to be dead) so you could change the motherboard BIOS settings afterwards. That's from my experience as I have two Socket 7 motherboards (DFI and Gigabyte) and I didn't have to solder a socket for these kind of batteries.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 44802 of 52340, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gmlb256 wrote on 2022-05-27, 02:43:

Seems to have had the Dallas clock replaced with a socket and new clock which is perfect since it means I dont have to faff about doing it myself

I suggest replacing that RTC battery (very likely to be dead) so you could change the motherboard BIOS settings afterwards. That's from my experience as I have two Socket 7 motherboards (DFI and Gigabyte) and I didn't have to solder a socket for these kind of batteries.

Will do if it is dead, if its still kicking then I usually let them alone, its a pain right now with how slow shipping is to get new replacements. Took two months to get two Glitch Works Dallas replacement modules and Sockets due to the stupidly slow shipping to Australia.

Reply 44803 of 52340, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2022-05-26, 23:59:
This is a thin client with an ISA/PCI riser slot, a 3.5" floppy drive and a 44-pin IDE connector (originally it was for a Compac […]
Show full quote

This is a thin client with an ISA/PCI riser slot, a 3.5" floppy drive and a 44-pin IDE connector (originally it was for a Compact flash adapter that was accessible on the back.
PXL_20220526_235127264~2.jpg

Not going to divulge the brand/model until after I have a chance to actually do some testing and probably post a YouTube video.

I have 2 different risers that will fit it, but only one puts the cards above the thin client.

Feel free to guess the brand/model 😀

I will say that there are 0 pictures that I could find of this doing a Google search. The manual is available though.

Incorrect guesses so far:
Compaq/HP

It looks like the inside of a pioneer car stereo.

Reply 44804 of 52340, by pancakepuppy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
This is a thin client with an ISA/PCI riser slot, a 3.5" floppy drive and a 44-pin IDE connector (originally it was for a Compac […]
Show full quote

This is a thin client with an ISA/PCI riser slot, a 3.5" floppy drive and a 44-pin IDE connector (originally it was for a Compact flash adapter that was accessible on the back.

Not going to divulge the brand/model until after I have a chance to actually do some testing and probably post a YouTube video.

I have 2 different risers that will fit it, but only one puts the cards above the thin client.

I will say that there are 0 pictures that I could find of this doing a Google search. The manual is available though.

Compaq/HP

Netier NetXpress XL-1000 ;P

Reply 44805 of 52340, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Show full quote

Compaq/HP

whats the onboard video chip. I'm guessing theres only room to fit one card, either PCI or ISA. The blue motherboard makes me think its somthing like a Wyse or a Kontron, somthing along those lines.

Reply 44806 of 52340, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Show full quote

Compaq/HP

I'd say a Siemens/Nixdorf, this was probably a POS device of some kind?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 44807 of 52340, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote on 2022-05-26, 16:30:
flupke11 wrote on 2022-05-26, 14:26:
Some last AGP-era gear (sellers pictures, but all arrived very well packed - still need to test everything): […]
Show full quote

Some last AGP-era gear (sellers pictures, but all arrived very well packed - still need to test everything):

This is a seller who knows his stuff. All boards were recapped, the Core Dual Sata even has copper heatsinks on all vrm's.

-Asrock 4 Core Dual Sata2, E7600, 2x2gb ram, fully recapped
-Asrock 775Dual-Vsta,E5800, 2x2gb ram, fully recapped
-AM2NF3-Vsta
-HIS ATI 3850 AGP custom bridge chip heatsink and very well made
-Club3d ATI 4670 AGP custom bridge chip heatsink
+ some various bits and pieces

Could you please show some pics of the backside of the 2 AGP cards so I can see the bridge chip mod?
I'm especially interested in the Club3D one as I also have this card 🙂

Here goes:

Attachments

Reply 44808 of 52340, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2022-05-27, 07:12:
Show full quote

Compaq/HP

I'd say a Siemens/Nixdorf, this was probably a POS device of some kind?

I'll throw in Digital, for the fun of the game.

Reply 44809 of 52340, by NyLan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
GigAHerZ wrote on 2022-05-26, 19:12:

@Nylan, i LOVE the sh*tty computer speakers you have! Absolute beauties in their own sense.
Btw, aren't they reversed? Usually speaker with knobs is the right side speaker...

You are completely right, my mistake when I put this screen in place. As I'm left handed I put the speaker with knobs on left... It's fixed now 😀

For the story, I had the same... back in 1997 with my Pentium 120, that's why I really wanted to get it 😀
I found this one on eBay by searching for "AC-691N" and then I found a clone completely by accident in a store, marked "Advance SP-120B"

My Intel SE440BX-2 Intel's website Mirror : Modified to include docs, refs and BIOSes.
Proud owner of a TL866 II
Personal GitHub

Reply 44811 of 52340, by Xicor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Show full quote

Compaq/HP

My guess goes to a Flytech Technology NC4-B62 !?

Reply 44812 of 52340, by SteveC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
NyLan wrote on 2022-05-27, 07:28:
You are completely right, my mistake when I put this screen in place. As I'm left handed I put the speaker with knobs on left... […]
Show full quote
GigAHerZ wrote on 2022-05-26, 19:12:

@Nylan, i LOVE the sh*tty computer speakers you have! Absolute beauties in their own sense.
Btw, aren't they reversed? Usually speaker with knobs is the right side speaker...

You are completely right, my mistake when I put this screen in place. As I'm left handed I put the speaker with knobs on left... It's fixed now 😀

For the story, I had the same... back in 1997 with my Pentium 120, that's why I really wanted to get it 😀
I found this one on eBay by searching for "AC-691N" and then I found a clone completely by accident in a store, marked "Advance SP-120B"

Mine just turned up in their original box!

Attachments

• 20220527_125354.jpg
    Filename
    20220527_125354.jpg
    File size
    1.27 MiB
    Views
    File license

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/StevesTechShed
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SteveTechShed

Reply 44813 of 52340, by Xicor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Due to a recent "family enlargement upgrade", I have been in in "lurking mode", and all of the little time that I have has gone to saving and hunting vintage machines of several types.

In a personal note, I tend to despise the "business" aspect that is growing on the hobby, so I tend to seek only the enjoyment and sentimental aspect of the retro scene. There is obviously an inherent subjectivity, what "kicks" me, may be meaningless to others. I my mind, I feel a odd enjoyment every time I see a humble or exceedingly rare hardware in this thread, maybe because it throws me back to ethos of "playing for the sake of it ".

Enough of ranting, let me share my findings from the past months :

fMarket.jpg
Filename
fMarket.jpg
File size
1.32 MiB
Views
File license
stash01.jpg
Filename
stash01.jpg
File size
1021.96 KiB
Views
File license
stash02.jpg
Filename
stash02.jpg
File size
453.2 KiB
Views
File license
stash03.jpg
Filename
stash03.jpg
File size
995.23 KiB
Views
File license

More yet to come ......

Reply 44814 of 52340, by Xicor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

More findings ........

1.jpg
Filename
1.jpg
File size
1.42 MiB
Views
File license
2.jpg
Filename
2.jpg
File size
1.43 MiB
Views
File license
3.jpg
Filename
3.jpg
File size
1.25 MiB
Views
File license
4.jpg
Filename
4.jpg
File size
1.2 MiB
Views
File license
5.jpg
Filename
5.jpg
File size
1.32 MiB
Views
File license

More to come .....

Reply 44815 of 52340, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Decided to add a HX model socket 7 board to the collection since I dont have one and ran across a Gigabyte GA-586HX with a K5 Pr […]
Show full quote

Decided to add a HX model socket 7 board to the collection since I dont have one and ran across a Gigabyte GA-586HX with a K5 Pr166, 48mb of ram and a ATI Mach GPU for a reasonable price and threw the seller a offer for it.

@Sphere478 as soon as this arrives Ill throw the Parhelia 256 PCI-X into it and run some benchmarks for you.

s-l1600 (4).jpg
s-l1600 (5).jpg

Seems to have had the Dallas clock replaced with a socket and new clock which is perfect since it means I dont have to faff about doing it myself, I dont have a K5 either so it'll be fun to benchmark it and see what it can do compared to a K6 and a K6-2. Will be interesting to see the scaling as AMD worked out the bugs and fabbing issues.

Yep, that seems to be another nice feature of the GA-586HX: The RTC module is socketed. Hard to find out, but apparently, they all were. They even found sockets that did not require a zip tie to keep the module in place.
Just all around a solid board.

I like jumpers.

Reply 44816 of 52340, by SteveC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Xicor wrote on 2022-05-27, 11:57:
Due to a recent "family enlargement upgrade", I have been in in "lurking mode", and all of the little time that I have has gon […]
Show full quote

Due to a recent "family enlargement upgrade", I have been in in "lurking mode", and all of the little time that I have has gone to saving and hunting vintage machines of several types.

In a personal note, I tend to despise the "business" aspect that is growing on the hobby, so I tend to seek only the enjoyment and sentimental aspect of the retro scene. There is obviously an inherent subjectivity, what "kicks" me, may be meaningless to others. I my mind, I feel a odd enjoyment every time I see a humble or exceedingly rare hardware in this thread, maybe because it throws me back to ethos of "playing for the sake of it ".

Enough of ranting, let me share my findings from the past months :

fMarket.jpg

stash01.jpg

stash02.jpg

stash03.jpg

More yet to come ......

Wow all this kit is enough to keep you busy for the rest of the year!

What's that Unisys box?

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/StevesTechShed
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SteveTechShed

Reply 44817 of 52340, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I also found my first fully owned pair of loudspeakers!

Attachments

Reply 44818 of 52340, by Xicor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Soldiering on .....

6.jpg
Filename
6.jpg
File size
544.01 KiB
Views
File license
7.jpg
Filename
7.jpg
File size
1.37 MiB
Views
File license
8.jpg
Filename
8.jpg
File size
837.93 KiB
Views
File license
9.jpg
Filename
9.jpg
File size
857.05 KiB
Views
File license
10.jpg
Filename
10.jpg
File size
506.19 KiB
Views
File license

One more to come....

Reply 44819 of 52340, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Xicor wrote on 2022-05-27, 14:04:

Soldiering on .....

10.jpg

One more to come....

Running XP on a mobile MMX must be a frustrating experience. Interesting collection of hardware, and I agree with your point on the "business". The global recession might push this hobby back to where it belongs, although the seas might have been trawled empty by then.