VOGONS

AMD issues with dgVoodoo

Topic actions

First post, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I stumbled upon my old AMD HD7850 video card and managed to install it in my machine alongside the existing one (now I can test on all the 3 vendors).
I installed the latest driver available (2021-05) for Win10 x64 and tested it with dgVoodoo.
Considering that this card is how old, it's interesting its driver provides D3D12 support. And that works fine.

However I encountered the solid-colored polygons issue with D3D11. As it turned out, it's because a modification coming with dgv 2.74.
It seems that ClearRenderTargetView call does not work with AMD D3D11 drivers on integer format RTV's (I asked MS devs about if it's expected to work, before the effective implementation).
The point is, I made a fix for that, by forcing executing the old code path when AMD as a vendor is detected.

But, this is not the same "classic" problem that we have since dgv 2.55. I couldn't reproduce that one, no matter what I tried.
Maybe my card is too old, and the issue only comes with newer GPU's (as I mentioned in the readme's), but now AMD D3D11 is working fine for me with WIP 83.1 and the latest driver (aside from a known crash that I'll investigate later).

So, I'd like to ask
- If anyone can reproduce the solid-colored polygons problem with WIP83.1 then plz report it here, along with the driver version using, to see if I can do it too.
- I only fixed the D3D11 backend, so if somebody has issues with D3D12, plz report that and I'll modify that too.

Last edited by Dege on 2021-12-22, 19:10. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 25, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks, so this is the well known problem coming with GCN2+ architecture (Daytona USA Deluxe works fine for me with the HD7850 both through D3D11/12, altough I don't know if this game has non-software rendered mode).

I will try to get an old GCN2 card from somewhere cheap sometime.

Reply 4 of 25, by yochenhsieh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can confirm it's fixed on GCN1 generation graphics.
Radeon HD 8250, Radeon software 16.12.2*, Windows 10 21H1

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - Dominion Wars
Star Trek: Starfleet Command III

D3D11: fixed.

*Need to use old driver because new drivers have high CPU load and mouse lag.

Reply 7 of 25, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for the feedback!

Btw, meantime I fixed other crashes too. AMD's DXBC parser seems not to like certain things (crash), so I adjusted the code generator + I found a bug in my own code. TruForm now works with the HD7850.

Reply 8 of 25, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I got a GCN2 card but unfortunately still everything is working as expected... 😒
I went as far as clean-installing a Catalyst driver from 2015 but even that didn't "help".
It's strange because I had such an R7 360 card back in the day and I remember having texturing problems with that.

In 2022, everything just works.
I don't know if there is a trick, like overriding the default value of a driver option, or sg like that, to get white screens.

Reply 9 of 25, by Ravagino

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello.
since a few months i can't start any more games with dgvoodoo2 if i use a current AMD GPU driver.
the last working driver is 21.5.2.. but i always have to reinstall this after 1-2 days if i want to play games with dgvodoo2. it seems to me that something is updating itself even though i have disabled windows driver updates.
newer drivers do not work from the start. my system: AMD RX 5700 with Windows 10 home.
I always use the DX12 API because the older ones never worked with my GPU without graphics issues.

I'll show you a few screenshots from the event viewer.
I also upload the dbug log.

I hope that someone has a tip how I can solve this problem.

Attachments

• Filename
    DebugView++.zip
    File size
    5.61 KiB
    Downloads
    55 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • dgvodoo2.jpg
    Filename
    dgvodoo2.jpg
    File size
    144.89 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 16 of 25, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
yoshinatsu wrote on 2022-05-13, 06:44:

Guys, with AMD's newest driver preview update, I think the dreaded DX11 bug with the white glitches is gone!!

Is this true? That'd be great, and finally no more periodic reports on "missing textures dgvoodoo bug". Except if someone is using old drivers... 😀
Btw, is the new driver rewritten from scratch for the n+1th times again, or just a "plain" incremental version with bugfixes?

Reply 19 of 25, by yoshinatsu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Firtasik wrote on 2022-06-01, 11:33:

Still broken.
22.5.2 WHQL and Vega 8

Oh... That's too bad 🙁
I've read they're going to fix OpenGL performance after. So that's great.
This has been a long time coming.