Reply 401 of 516, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I think Tapatalk integration was discussed at some point. Use the search

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 404 of 516, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

If you mean that several people looked at Tapatalk and decided that it’s crapware, yes.

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 405 of 516, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I fully agree tapatalk is awful. The vogons mobile site loads and renders perfectly on my Google pixel 3a and our tablet. I don't see what's wrong with their mobile site.

Reply 406 of 516, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2022-06-14, 15:43:

I fully agree tapatalk is awful. The vogons mobile site loads and renders perfectly on my Google pixel 3a and our tablet. I don't see what's wrong with their mobile site.

Yep. Looks and works fine to me on an iPhone and iPad, also.

Reply 407 of 516, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
kitten.may.cry wrote on 2022-06-14, 14:56:

Add reactions, pretty please?

I think this was another thing considered but decided on not being Facebook and we don‘t care about likes or negatives you can get.

Reply 408 of 516, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Back in days, i also suggested (iirc) to have some reaction-like thing. Maybe something simpler like "thank you" or "kudos" thing, through which you can express your gratitude towards that user and the info in the post.

But it's a nice-to-have and i don't cry over it. Just time to time yet again, i want to thank someone for their reply, yet i don't want to spam with a short post just saying "Thank you"...

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 409 of 516, by Yoghoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Meatball wrote on 2022-06-14, 16:41:
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2022-06-14, 15:43:

Yep. Looks and works fine to me on an iPhone and iPad, also.

Really depends if you need bigger fonts or not. Default looks good but is not really readable on my phone (S21). When increasing the font size it doesn't look so good anymore and this could be improved imo.

Reply 410 of 516, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
GigAHerZ wrote on 2022-06-14, 17:20:

Back in days, i also suggested (iirc) to have some reaction-like thing. Maybe something simpler like "thank you" or "kudos" thing, through which you can express your gratitude towards that user and the info in the post.

But it's a nice-to-have and i don't cry over it. Just time to time yet again, i want to thank someone for their reply, yet i don't want to spam with a short post just saying "Thank you"...

Yes, I know what you mean. It’s something nice to have as long as it only allows positive stuff. Ultimately I think it was the effort vs gain that killed that idea.

Reply 411 of 516, by ldeveraux

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dominus wrote on 2022-06-14, 15:41:

If you mean that several people looked at Tapatalk and decided that it’s crapware, yes.

It's not 'crapware'; it does a job poorly, but it's not worthless. XDA had the same opinion and thought they could do better, and they failed pretty badly. I frequent plenty of forums that support that platform, so it's convenient in that I don't need a dozen tabs open and repeatedly logged in to my browser to scroll through them all in sequence. That's the point of Tapatalk. I have plenty of issues with it, but sacrificing convenience for a mobile browser is not in my interest. I'll stick with desktop browsing only on Vogons I suppose..

Reply 414 of 516, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, I am expressing my pleased regard for the cool animated forum logos.

Bangin' is a colloquial adjective, used in popular culture over the past decade or more, and is synonymous with "cool" or "awesome".

Sometimes brevity comes back to bite one, hey?

Reply 415 of 516, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Would it be possible to tweak the automatic image compression feature of the forum to look at file size (in MB) instead of image dimensions (in pixels)?

As things are right now, the forum re-compressed my 200 KB image to 70 KB, for a marginal size decrease, while destroying all the detail in the picture. Here's a sample:

file.php?id=140817&mode=view

I understand why this feature was added and that it's useful for people who upload huge images directly from their cell phones without making any tweaks in graphical editing programs. But I think the algorithm by which it decides what to re-compress could be optimized.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 416 of 516, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Btw, "huge images" also can not be loaded. The upload limit is 5MB, yet once uploaded, it recompresses such images into roughly 1,5MB files.

5MB is not a lot, especially, if its only for a moment. May i ask to increase that limit? Classic mobile phones do easily bigger files than 5MB. What mattes is the size after resizing & recompression, right? Let's resize, recompress and whatever, but may we have the 5MB limit increased to something like 15MB?

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 417 of 516, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

it's a lot when you consider some of the posters here just plop a big image search resultsphoto gallery in a row.

I haven't had any image compression woes with some of the optimized PNGs I throw up here.

( It could be worse. this could be a 'modern' Google-submitting forum where all the images are backstabbed into becoming webp's)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 418 of 516, by 7F20

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shreddoc wrote on 2022-06-30, 22:45:

Sometimes brevity comes back to bite one, hey?

🤣. no it's cool, we are on the same page; I also like the party hat 😀

I just wasn't sure if it was a criticism, a suggestion, or praise.

Reply 419 of 516, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If possible to implement, I would suggest that images are not re-compressed by the forum in case that all three of these parameters are true at the same time:

1. File size is less than 500 KB
  2. Horizontal resolution is less than 3840
  3. Vertical resolution is less than 2160

Not sure if the algorithm can be programmed in such detail, but I think that would give a lot of leeway to people who want to post screenshots which retain a fair amount of visual clarity.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi