VOGONS

Reply 21 of 881, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Rawit wrote on 2022-07-18, 16:42:

[...] This setup would be great for Orpheus II, but I wonder if it's that easy with the CS4237 and the CS4231 in the IW.

I will test tomorrow and report the 3.11 situation
under 9x both parts work just fine - I just have the fear that somehow the 3.x drivers will mess things up 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 22 of 881, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote on 2022-07-18, 18:38:
Rawit wrote on 2022-07-18, 16:42:

[...] This setup would be great for Orpheus II, but I wonder if it's that easy with the CS4237 and the CS4231 in the IW.

I will test tomorrow and report the 3.11 situation
under 9x both parts work just fine - I just have the fear that somehow the 3.x drivers will mess things up 🤣

Thanks! I've installed multiple sound cards next to my GUS ACE in Windows 3.11, so it should be possible... But with Windows 3.1 you never know...

YouTube

Reply 24 of 881, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nikita Lita wrote on 2022-07-18, 18:59:

Could you post a clip of the Orpheus II playing GUS tracker music? I'd love to see that

does a game like jazz jackrabbit work for you?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 26 of 881, by Nikita Lita

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keropi wrote on 2022-07-18, 19:07:
Nikita Lita wrote on 2022-07-18, 18:59:

Could you post a clip of the Orpheus II playing GUS tracker music? I'd love to see that

does a game like jazz jackrabbit work for you?

that'd be nice too, definitely, but I'd like to see compatibility with GUS trackers demonstrated, it'd be the main reason I'd get it

Reply 27 of 881, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nikita Lita wrote on 2022-07-18, 19:21:

that'd be nice too, definitely, but I'd like to see compatibility with GUS trackers demonstrated, it'd be the main reason I'd get it

well compatibility is EXACTLY the same as the GUS PNP , there can be no improvements in this area

Reply 28 of 881, by Nikita Lita

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keropi wrote on 2022-07-18, 19:28:
Nikita Lita wrote on 2022-07-18, 19:21:

well compatibility is EXACTLY the same as the GUS PNP , there can be no improvements in this area

Understood, I wasn't expecting improvements here. I just wanted to see the Orpheus II run a tracker that is compatible with the GUS PNP, like xtcplay maybe?

Reply 33 of 881, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Amazing work, though I have to wonder if it would be able to fit two wavetable headers with a software switch between them so you could run both a WP32 McCake and X2GS. Making this the ultimate Sound Blaster, OPL3, GUS, MT-32, and SoundCanvas in a single slot.

That would make it Tandy, CMS, and Covox away from being a real-life BitchinFastAudio 3000.

Reply 34 of 881, by Nikita Lita

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SScorpio wrote on 2022-07-18, 23:25:

Amazing work, though I have to wonder if it would be able to fit two wavetable headers with a software switch between them so you could run both a WP32 McCake and X2GS. Making this the ultimate Sound Blaster, OPL3, GUS, MT-32, and SoundCanvas in a single slot.

That would make it Tandy, CMS, and Covox away from being a real-life BitchinFastAudio 3000.

if you're nuts enough to run two waveblaster cards, you're nuts enough to just hook up an external SC-55 😜

Reply 35 of 881, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nikita Lita wrote on 2022-07-18, 22:59:

Also, does the card do SPDIF out for the interwave output?

This was mentioned briefly on the previous page, but for the sake of completeness, yes, InterWave audio is included in the S/PDIF output. It is taken from the InterWave in analogue form, mixed, and then fed into one of the CS4237 inputs. At that point, it runs through the ADC and is mixed into the digital signal and output via S/PDIF along with everything else.

Reply 36 of 881, by Nikita Lita

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
640K!enough wrote on 2022-07-19, 03:30:
Nikita Lita wrote on 2022-07-18, 22:59:

Also, does the card do SPDIF out for the interwave output?

This was mentioned briefly on the previous page, but for the sake of completeness, yes, InterWave audio is included in the S/PDIF output. It is taken from the InterWave in analogue form, mixed, and then fed into one of the CS4237 inputs. At that point, it runs through the ADC and is mixed into the digital signal and output via S/PDIF along with everything else.

I’m curious as to why you’re running it through the ADC; doesn’t the interwave chip output 16-bit Digital PCM in a format that the CS4237 can read?

Reply 37 of 881, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think this was discussed in the ARGUS thread:

I have hardly ever used a S/PDIF-enabled device, much less designed anything involving one, but I question the feasibility of this endeavour. Looking through the datasheet and programmer's guide, it quickly becomes clear that it would be far more involved than setting a register once and connecting those signals to an appropriate encoder. The only way it seems even remotely feasible still involves going through the on-chip analogue stage before getting to the CODEC module. Otherwise, you seemingly won't have access to the full card's output. Furthermore, the serial output is unavailable when certain other FIFO modes are used, if I'm reading correctly, and would seemingly also require driver-level changes for Windows to manage that register setting. My vote would be to ask this person to provide some form of proof-of-concept implementation, or at least more concrete circuit and software design guidelines, before going ahead with unnecessary layout and routing work. I'm not claiming that it definitely can't be done, but it doesn't look like it would work as intended.

So it seems there is no easy way.

YouTube

Reply 38 of 881, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is the WaveStream synth that can be seen in Windows MIDI drivers the software synth for the Crystal? Why are there two UltraSound synths (never tried an UltraSound PnP, so sorry if it's something obvious)?

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 39 of 881, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@GL1zdA
yes, wavestream is the crystal software synth
gus pnp has 2 midi drivers, one for the onboard IW synth and one for the external midi interface - the later will be edited out as there is no such connection on the board , midi i/o is handled by pcmidi and CS4237

@Rawit

I did some 3.11 testing , it is indeed possible to install both and you do get both 4237 and GUS devices available and working
the setup is meh though , I cannot see the point messing so much in 3.x to get both parts working in tandem , you do have to install first the 4237 and then GUS driver and then create some midi maps because both drivers like to overwrite them

DiwPnIx.jpg