VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 46100 of 52721, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought this nearly full-length Toshiba DVD decoder. One of the first; this thing was over $1300 new - now less than $20 w/shipping. It works and looks pretty good connected to a S3 Virge or ATI Rage card. It uses the Windows DVD player.

The cable I had to buy separately; it cost about half as much as the card itself (minus shipping).

Attachments

Reply 46101 of 52721, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

PS2 Slim, in working condition. Looking forward to do some REAL console gaming.

Attachments

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 46102 of 52721, by ChrisK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Meatball wrote on 2022-08-25, 19:57:

I bought this nearly full-length Toshiba DVD decoder. One of the first; this thing was over $1300 new - now less than $20 w/shipping. It works and looks pretty good connected to a S3 Virge or ATI Rage card. It uses the Windows DVD player.

The cable I had to buy separately; it cost about half as much as the card itself (minus shipping).

Where does this cable get connected to? The "Feature Connector" on the VGA-card or somewhere else? And where would it fit on the DVD decoder card?

Reply 46103 of 52721, by ChrisK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
H3nrik V! wrote on 2022-08-26, 07:15:

Oh yeah, Final Fantasy X...
Spent tons of hours on it but never really finished it while beeing close to the end.
Wanted to level my team as much as possibly before this step to fight those almighty dragons/ghosts (can't even remember their names) placed around the world.
Must been years ago...

Reply 46104 of 52721, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ChrisK wrote on 2022-08-26, 07:22:
Oh yeah, Final Fantasy X... Spent tons of hours on it but never really finished it while beeing close to the end. Wanted to leve […]
Show full quote

Spent tons of hours on it but never really finished it while beeing close to the end.
Wanted to level my team as much as possibly before this step to fight those almighty dragons/ghosts (can't even remember their names) placed around the world.
Must been years ago...

Oh, I'm a bit narrow-minded ... Gran Turismo 3 and 4 are the only games, I ever owned on the PS2 🤣 Been mostly annoyed lately with the kids' PS4, every effing time, one wants to play a game, it first has to update system software, then the game ... After one has uninstalled something else to even make room. It often takes 30+ minutes from power-on before ready to play, as we only have an anaemic 200MBit fiber 🤣 No, what I want from a PLAYstation is - Power on - disc in - play! 😁

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 46105 of 52721, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
H3nrik V! wrote on 2022-08-26, 07:37:
ChrisK wrote on 2022-08-26, 07:22:
Oh yeah, Final Fantasy X... Spent tons of hours on it but never really finished it while beeing close to the end. Wanted to leve […]
Show full quote

Must been years ago...

Oh, I'm a bit narrow-minded ... Gran Turismo 3 and 4 are the only games, I ever owned on the PS2 🤣 Been mostly annoyed lately with the kids' PS4, every effing time, one wants to play a game, it first has to update system software, then the game ... After one has uninstalled something else to even make room. It often takes 30+ minutes from power-on before ready to play, as we only have an anaemic 200MBit fiber 🤣 No, what I want from a PLAYstation is - Power on - disc in - play! 😁

Agreed. I only got my first PS4 the other week (brand new for cheapish) and I must say I'm very disappointed with the focus on being on a network and logged in to all sorts of shit. First you need to create a PS4 account to download updates and for Unisoft games you need to create a freaking account there as well (fuck Ubisoft). What a toss-off. And like you said, every freaking game needs to download gigabytes of updates, can't they program games anymore like the olden days? Maybe too much "get off my lawn" on my behalf but these kids growing up with this network connected crap will be very disappointed in 25 or so years when they'll try to revisit their youth. Everything wants to connect to a server that will be long gone.

Reply 46106 of 52721, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been thinking about getting one too, then I checked the games and developed some doubts if there are enough exclusives I'm interested in for the console. I'm more interested in the PSP these days.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 46107 of 52721, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RandomStranger wrote on 2022-08-26, 10:31:

I've been thinking about getting one too, then I checked the games and developed some doubts if there are enough exclusives I'm interested in for the console. I'm more interested in the PSP these days.

I've gone periods of really wanting one, realizing there's very few games I'd play with it, losing interest and later starting to want one again for years now.

I might get one just to get it done at some point. Though I should have done that before the plague hit, back then you could get new old stock consoles with tolerable prices, less so these days.

Reply 46108 of 52721, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

They aren't expensive today either. Normally I could get one locally somewhere between €25-50 sometimes with a couple of games. No new/old-stocks though. The low price is the only reason why I still didn't give up on them completely. If I don't buy them before their prices start rising, I'll never buy one.

The starting price of PSPs are usually double that and it's already rising.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 46109 of 52721, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ChrisK wrote on 2022-08-26, 07:17:

Where does this cable get connected to? The "Feature Connector" on the VGA-card or somewhere else? And where would it fit on the DVD decoder card?

I haven't been able to get this to work on any Feature Connector w/ only 26-pins. S3 cards around the Virge era often have an additional 34-pin header. It works fine here. However, some S3 cards have both a 34-pin Feature Connector and a 34-pin MPEG header. ATI has a 40-pin header usually on the earlier cards. On the decoder, the cable connects from left to right. You'll see the breaks for the 26-pin and 34-pin header. I haven't come across any board with 60-pin headers, but my GeForce 256SDR has a 50-pin header. I'm not sure what of its purpose. I haven't tried connecting the decoder, either; I'd first have to pick up another cable.

Reply 46110 of 52721, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Anyone know where I can get some cables to fit these old Intel coolers ?

s-l1600 (1).jpg
Filename
s-l1600 (1).jpg
File size
120.87 KiB
Views
File comment
Cooler
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Recently got a P120 and P150 but neither has the power lead for the fan.

Reply 46111 of 52721, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-08-26, 11:57:

s-l1600 (1).jpg

You can make one yourself by combining a regular 3-pin cooler cable with a Wake-On-LAN Cable.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 46112 of 52721, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

s-l1600 (1).jpg

In order to remove the plug you may need to work it a bit and some end up ripping it up.

Happened to me too but I just had to do a repair on orginal parts. Happened on a socket 8 too.
Just resolder a new wire, boring but works.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 46113 of 52721, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Maybe one of these could work, depending if you need a 3-pin or 2-pin connection:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184606983403

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184850994887

Reply 46114 of 52721, by ChrisK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Meatball wrote on 2022-08-26, 11:57:

I haven't been able to get this to work on any Feature Connector w/ only 26-pins. S3 cards around the Virge era often have an additional 34-pin header. It works fine here. However, some S3 cards have both a 34-pin Feature Connector and a 34-pin MPEG header. ATI has a 40-pin header usually on the earlier cards. On the decoder, the cable connects from left to right. You'll see the breaks for the 26-pin and 34-pin header. I haven't come across any board with 60-pin headers, but my GeForce 256SDR has a 50-pin header. I'm not sure what of its purpose. I haven't tried connecting the decoder, either; I'd first have to pick up another cable.

You are right, didn't see the break in the pin rows at the first glimpse. So there finally is (for my knowledge) at least one use case for these connectors. Interesting 😀

Reply 46115 of 52721, by DAVE86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

s-l1600 (1).jpg

That accepts the AMP CT series 3 way or the TE 179228-3 connector. Need crimping tools, the terminals and done...

Reply 46116 of 52721, by JustJulião

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-08-24, 08:22:
JustJulião wrote on 2022-08-24, 08:15:
Just received a nice Abit ST-6 for a good price. I'll have to change at least one capacitor. Maybe the two ones on the left on t […]
Show full quote

Just received a nice Abit ST-6 for a good price.
I'll have to change at least one capacitor. Maybe the two ones on the left on the second picture are also slightly swollen.
It will be my first time ever. I have basic soldering skills, any advice ?
IMG_20220824_100646.jpg
IMG_20220824_100642.jpg

Double .. no triple check polarity before desoldering and then before resoldering ..wrong polarity is bad.

It also might be helpful to practice soldering on a scrap PCB a bit before doing it on something you want to keep.

Thank you. I investigated the polarity part. It made me realize how inegal MB's engineering can be. On that beauty (Epox EP-BX7+100) polarity is oriented the same way, which is not the case of the Asus.

IMG_20220826_172547.jpg
Filename
IMG_20220826_172547.jpg
File size
262.27 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

I'll be very cautious, thank you.
Another question if I may. Are "audio capacitors" suitable if it has the same specs or is it different by nature ? I know it's expensive but I can have some for very cheap locally (brand new, produced in 2021).

Reply 46117 of 52721, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Someone in You Tube i did watch did explain that, but i totally forgot, what the whole idea was... Some ppl did think is for SLI like on 3Dfx 🤣 ... I think someone did mod some 3Dfx cards from that feature connector pins in order to do SLI on cards like Voodoo III PCI or Voodoo V PCI... Seems these feature connectors did not have feature after all, and 99% of ppl did not use them. Guess since games did not require that connect no one did give a fuck..

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 46118 of 52721, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I recently added this X-24 to the collection, thus preventing the closet from collapsing in on itself.

Attachments

Reply 46119 of 52721, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Meatball wrote on 2022-08-26, 22:32:

I recently added this X-24 to the collection, thus preventing the closet from collapsing in on itself.

Single Slot SLI, taking up the space of two slots... 😀

Nice card though!