VOGONS

First post, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This might be common knowledge for some of you, but I just discovered this and wanted to share with those who don't know; with some simple software and a registry edit you can still use Windows Update with these operating systems. It obviously won't make them secure, but that's not the only reason for using it. There's another method that I found on Reddit that works, but it doesn't work on CPUs that don't have SSE2 (such as my Athlon XP) but this method works fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdIVMwV9MCk

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 1 of 16, by microcutz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have been trying to update a couple of Socket A machines, and I had used this process to update a fewer newer machines (all with SSE2 in their respective CPU's), I have now had the answer I was struggling to find.

I wish a simple solution to update XP based CPU's existed, or a work around at the least.

Reply 2 of 16, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The downside of this is that it only checks for security updates where the WSUS method checks for everything and offers driver updates from Microsoft if available. But that method doesn't work with anything without SSE2, so you have to settle for what you can get. All part of the deal when using obsolete hardware and operating systems.

Reply 3 of 16, by drew2020

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Repo Man11 wrote on 2022-08-20, 15:50:

This might be common knowledge for some of you, but I just discovered this and wanted to share with those who don't know; with some simple software and a registry edit you can still use Windows Update with these operating systems. It obviously won't make them secure, but that's not the only reason for using it. There's another method that I found on Reddit that works, but it doesn't work on CPUs that don't have SSE2 (such as my Athlon XP) but this method works fine.

I have a P4 on Socket 478. I think P4s have SSE2. Can you provide a link to the Reddit method requiring SSE2?
It's good to have another option.
thx

Reply 4 of 16, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
drew2020 wrote on 2022-09-28, 14:32:
I have a P4 on Socket 478. I think P4s have SSE2. Can you provide a link to the Reddit method requiring SSE2? It's good to have […]
Show full quote

I have a P4 on Socket 478. I think P4s have SSE2. Can you provide a link to the Reddit method requiring SSE2?
thx

Here you go: https://www.reddit.com/r/windowsxp/comments/l … p_with_windows/

Reply 5 of 16, by drew2020

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Repo Man11 wrote on 2022-09-28, 16:23:
I have a P4 on Socket 478. I think P4s have SSE2. Can you provide a link to the Reddit method requiring SSE2? It's good to have […]
Show full quote

thx

I tried it. Didn't work for me.
thx

Reply 6 of 16, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
drew2020 wrote on 2022-09-29, 01:41:
Repo Man11 wrote on 2022-09-28, 16:23:

thx

I tried it. Didn't work for me.
thx

What went wrong for you?

Reply 7 of 16, by drew2020

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Repo Man11 wrote on 2022-09-29, 02:02:

I followed the steps but the update was never initiated. Nothing happened

Reply 8 of 16, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did you receive a firewall warning when you started the WSUS proxy tool? Did the Windows Update Mini Tool just run and never deliver any updates? I've used this on several systems now, including a P4, and it has worked well; the only system that it hasn't worked for me was my Athlon one, which was why I was happy to find the method outlined in the first post of this thread.

Reply 9 of 16, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The instruction misses 1 step.
8.5. Select "WSUS" in the WUMT "Update Service" droplist.
Tested on my retroPC (WinXPSP3 Pro), updates were founded, downloaded and installed.

Attachments

• WUMT.JPG
    Filename
    WUMT.JPG
    File size
    77.29 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 10 of 16, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I recently installed XP on a system and this wasn't working. I realized that I hadn't enabled automatic updates while installing the OS, and the update tool was stuck checking for updates. The option in Security Center to enable automatic updates was greyed out, and I had to go into the registry to enable them. Once I did that, this method then worked.

Reply 12 of 16, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm testing an Albatron KX400-8XV I picked up and this method is still working.

Attachments

Reply 15 of 16, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On a couple of vintage systems where I've done the updates there will be a very annoying lag on startup - you get to the desktop, but the network icon for the system tray takes forever to appear, and the system is basically locked up until it does appear. This is the cause:

Attachments