Common searches

DOSBox Game Launcher (DOSBox Frontend)

Topic actions

Reply 1820 of 1968, by RedTony

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rcblanke wrote on 2022-08-16, 21:23:

FYI with the latest release it's possible to use DBGL without a full Java installation - just download the minimal JRE and extract into your DBGL folder.

Is there any benefit in using the jre 17.0.4 package over the 10.0.15.1 ?

Reply 1821 of 1968, by someone or anyone

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, i don't know, where i can write it, i will write it here, sorry. THANKS for the program "DOSBox" v. 0.74-3! I use it (on Win 10) for using finance program ("Финансы без проблем 4000" from 1994 year - https://i.ibb.co/xzF3HTb/1.jpg), it works! THANKS!

Reply 1822 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dosdog wrote on 2022-08-23, 13:21:

Crash report: DBGL 0.96 crashing on Mobygames lookup for "Transylvania (Polarware), 1986". Seems to be an issue with loading the screenshot media:

Interesting one: the problematic screenshot in question is referred to as a gif (ancient-stump.gif) but in fact really is a .bmp. What's more, the .bmp appears to be invalid/broken (BITMAPINFOHEADER image size is 0 while the compression method being used is BI_RLE4) . DBGL no longer crashes on the problematic image, but SWT has a problem loading it, resulting in a black 320X200 box. I've submitted a bug report at SWT.

Scar wrote on 2022-08-24, 22:05:

0.96 doesn't launch on Monterey 12.5.1 (Apple Silicon). Updated Java to the latest SDK, DBGL just bounces once in the dock and stops.

Correct, the current DBGL builds for Mac only supported x86_64. Unfortunately I do not have access to an Arm-based Mac myself, which makes supporting it rather tricky. Anyway, I've prepared a first Aarch64 build now which you can try for yourself.

Does anyone know if the latest official DOSBox Mac release also runs natively on 'Apple Silicon'? Or does it use Rosetta? Are there any SVN builds available for Arm-based Macs?

RedTony wrote on 2022-08-27, 09:14:

Is there any benefit in using the jre 17.0.4 package over the 11.0.15.1 ?

For the end-user, not really much of a difference. Differences are mostly to do with Java development. I would recommend jre17 simply because that is the most recent LTS release.

someone or anyone wrote on 2022-08-29, 13:48:

Hello, i don't know, where i can write it, i will write it here, sorry. THANKS for the program "DOSBox" v. 0.74-3! I use it (on Win 10) for using finance program ("Финансы без проблем 4000" from 1994 year - https://i.ibb.co/xzF3HTb/1.jpg), it works! THANKS!

...passing on your thanks to the DOSBox authors and contributors!

All the latest files. To update, just grab the new jar.

Reply 1823 of 1968, by frosty024

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I am using the new release 0.96 and noticed Export>Export profiles list no longer seems to work. The dialogue appears and I can set a path/options, but once I click Start Export, DBGL freezes and remains as such until I kill the task (I've let it sit for several hours as a test).

Windows 10 x64
32GB RAM
Using the Portable JRE 17 from the site
577 games in DBGL
No error messages, nothing in the log

For reference, exporting the entire profile list used to take seconds in 0.95

Updated to 0.97 Beta 1 and still the same issue. Maybe it's just my PC??

Attachments

Reply 1824 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi frosty024, thanks for the report. Please start DBGL with the dbglcons.cmd startup script, which should display more debugging information. After reproducing the lockup, please share the output of this logging window, I'll probably be able to spot the problem.

Reply 1825 of 1968, by frosty024

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rcblanke wrote on 2022-08-31, 13:25:

Hi frosty024, thanks for the report. Please start DBGL with the dbglcons.cmd startup script, which should display more debugging information. After reproducing the lockup, please share the output of this logging window, I'll probably be able to spot the problem.

I was able to remedy it thanks to dbglcons.cmd... The error message appears below, and I was able to delete the trailing space in database.script to resolve it! Turns out it was just my own computer! 😁

FWIW, once I knew which game was causing the issue during exporting, clicking the game itself in DBGL before fixing the database also caused DBGL to freeze. So perhaps that will help someone in the future if they have a profile that freezes DBGL when clicked.

Interestingly, this issue was not present in 0.95 - either the space didn't exist until after upgrading to 0.96, or it just wasn't crashing DBGL in 0.95... Of course, this is probably the result of going from JRE 8u341 to the portable JRE 17.0.4 - which maybe is just more sensitive to these things.

Error:

Exception in thread "main" java.nio.file.InvalidPathException: Trailing char < > at index 45: F:\Games\dbgl096\dosroot\ADOM\docs\MANUAL.TXT
at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsPathParser.normalize(Unknown Source)
at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsPathParser.parse(Unknown Source)
at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsPath.parse(Unknown Source)
at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsFileSystem.getPath(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.io.File.toPath(Unknown Source)
at org.dbgl.util.FilesUtils.toUrl(FilesUtils.java:383)
at org.dbgl.model.Link.getUrl(Link.java:52)
at org.dbgl.model.Link.getUrlBasedAnchor(Link.java:60)
at org.dbgl.gui.dialog.MainWindow.displayLinks(MainWindow.java:1076)
at org.dbgl.gui.dialog.MainWindow.displayProfileInformation(MainWindow.java:1058)
at org.dbgl.gui.dialog.MainWindow$38.widgetSelected(MainWindow.java:916)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.TypedListener.handleEvent(TypedListener.java:252)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:89)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.sendEvent(Display.java:4251)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1066)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:4068)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3645)
at org.dbgl.gui.abstractdialog.BaseDialog.open(BaseDialog.java:119)
at org.dbgl.gui.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:55)

Offending space:

FCuF2uX.jpg

Reply 1826 of 1968, by frosty024

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

To confirm, I installed 0.95 again and added a space to the same exact line in the database. DBGL did not crash, and dbglcons.cmd showed no error when running JRE 8u341.

frosty024 wrote on 2022-09-02, 04:25:
I was able to remedy it thanks to dbglcons.cmd... The error message appears below, and I was able to delete the trailing space i […]
Show full quote
rcblanke wrote on 2022-08-31, 13:25:

I was able to remedy it thanks to dbglcons.cmd... The error message appears below, and I was able to delete the trailing space in database.script to resolve it! Turns out it was just my own computer! 😁

FWIW, once I knew which game was causing the issue during exporting, clicking the game itself in DBGL before fixing the database also caused DBGL to freeze. So perhaps that will help someone in the future if they have a profile that freezes DBGL when clicked.

Interestingly, this issue was not present in 0.95 - either the space didn't exist until after upgrading to 0.96, or it just wasn't crashing DBGL in 0.95... Of course, this is probably the result of going from JRE 8u341 to the portable JRE 17.0.4 - which maybe is just more sensitive to these things.

Error:

Exception in thread "main" java.nio.file.InvalidPathException: Trailing char < > at index 45: F:\Games\dbgl096\dosroot\ADOM\docs\MANUAL.TXT
at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsPathParser.normalize(Unknown Source)
at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsPath.parse(Unknown Source)
at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsFileSystem.getPath(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.io.File.toPath(Unknown Source)
at org.dbgl.util.FilesUtils.toUrl(FilesUtils.java:383)
at org.dbgl.model.Link.getUrl(Link.java:52)
at org.dbgl.model.Link.getUrlBasedAnchor(Link.java:60)
at org.dbgl.gui.dialog.MainWindow.displayLinks(MainWindow.java:1076)
at org.dbgl.gui.dialog.MainWindow.displayProfileInformation(MainWindow.java:1058)
at org.dbgl.gui.dialog.MainWindow$38.widgetSelected(MainWindow.java:916)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.TypedListener.handleEvent(TypedListener.java:252)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:89)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.sendEvent(Display.java:4251)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1066)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:4068)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3645)
at org.dbgl.gui.abstractdialog.BaseDialog.open(BaseDialog.java:119)
at org.dbgl.gui.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:55)

Offending space:

FCuF2uX.jpg

Reply 1827 of 1968, by tomcattech

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just downloaded dbgl and its awesome!

However I'm trying to get the Roland MT-32 emulation going under "Audio\Experimental Options" but everything is shaded out.

Actually ALL sections shown as "Experimental Options" are shaded out and unusable. (Display, Machine, Etc)

Any help on this one?

Reply 1828 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tomcattech wrote on 2022-09-02, 05:48:
Just downloaded dbgl and its awesome! […]
Show full quote

However I'm trying to get the Roland MT-32 emulation going under "Audio\Experimental Options" but everything is shaded out.

Actually ALL sections shown as "Experimental Options" are shaded out and unusable. (Display, Machine, Etc)

Any help on this one?

The so-called experimental options in DBGL provide access to DOSBox features that cannot be found in the official DOSBox application (from http://dosbox.com) but only in special/experimental builds such as DOSBox-Staging (https://dosbox-staging.github.io/), Yesterplay (https://dosboxece.wordpress.com/) and DOSBox-X (https://dosbox-x.com/). If you add such a special DOSBox build to DBGL (in the DOSBox versions tab) , and then associate a game profile to that special DOSBox version, the experimental features provided in that build will be enabled and you can use them.

Reply 1829 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
frosty024 wrote on 2022-09-02, 04:25:

Nice find, will be fixed (thus, no longer crash when a file link contains a trailing space) in the upcoming build.

Reply 1830 of 1968, by tomcattech

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rcblanke wrote on 2022-09-02, 15:28:
Show full quote

Any help on this one?

The so-called experimental options in DBGL provide access to DOSBox features that cannot be found in the official DOSBox application (from http://dosbox.com) but only in special/experimental builds such as DOSBox-Staging (https://dosbox-staging.github.io/), Yesterplay (https://dosboxece.wordpress.com/) and DOSBox-X (https://dosbox-x.com/). If you add such a special DOSBox build to DBGL (in the DOSBox versions tab) , and then associate a game profile to that special DOSBox version, the experimental features provided in that build will be enabled and you can use them.

Awesome.... I loaded DOSBox-X which indeed activated the options I was looking for.

However, In Audio under "General", there is no way to set Midi Device to "MT32" as DOSBox-X requires.

I'm sure I'm missing something.

Thanks for the help!

Reply 1831 of 1968, by frosty024

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
tomcattech wrote on 2022-09-03, 00:10:
Awesome.... I loaded DOSBox-X which indeed activated the options I was looking for. […]
Show full quote
rcblanke wrote on 2022-09-02, 15:28:
Show full quote

Any help on this one?

Awesome.... I loaded DOSBox-X which indeed activated the options I was looking for.

However, In Audio under "General", there is no way to set Midi Device to "MT32" as DOSBox-X requires.

I'm sure I'm missing something.

Thanks for the help!

Here's what I did to get DOSBox ECE to output MT-32 audio:

File>Preferences and select the Dynamic options tab.
Select device in the Options column.
Type mt32 into the list in the Values column.
Click OK.
hOIwJRN.jpg

Now check your game's profile and you should be able to select mt32 as the Midi Device.
IvJ0eFy.jpg

Note you also need to have the MT-32 ROMs somewhere so you can point DBGL/DOSBox to them under Experimental options.
sc09S4p.jpg

Alternatively, you could just edit your game's DOSBox config file so that the [midi] section contains mididevice=mt32 and mt32.romdir="<path to ROM files>", but I like having the option to actually select it within DBGL.

Don't ask for the ROMs here. They are copyrighted. You'll need to legally obtain them on your own.

Reply 1832 of 1968, by Scar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Correct, the current DBGL builds for Mac only supported x86_64. Unfortunately I do not have access to an Arm-based Mac myself, which makes supporting it rather tricky. Anyway, I've prepared a first Aarch64 build now which you can try for yourself.

Thanks for your efforts, but it still doesn't work - well, I'll be waiting for 0.97 for ARM then.

Reply 1834 of 1968, by Gulthar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rcblanke wrote on 2022-09-05, 15:14:

Hmm, that's unfortunate. Can you please again open up a terminal to go inside the DBGL package and run it from there to see what the error message is?

Hi rcblanke,

I'm getting following error on M2 macbook

dpetrov@r2d2:/Applications/DBGL.app/Contents/MacOS $ ./dbgl
Launching DBGL using 64-Bit VM 17.0.4.1 on Mac OS X v12.5.1aarch64, HSQL Database Engine 2.6.1, SWT v4952cocoa
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: Could not load SWT library. Reasons:
no swt-cocoa-4952r11 in java.library.path: /Users/dpetrov/Library/Java/Extensions:/Library/Java/Extensions:/Network/Library/Java/Extensions:/System/Library/Java/Extensions:/usr/lib/java:.
no swt-cocoa in java.library.path: /Users/dpetrov/Library/Java/Extensions:/Library/Java/Extensions:/Network/Library/Java/Extensions:/System/Library/Java/Extensions:/usr/lib/java:.
no swt in java.library.path: /Users/dpetrov/Library/Java/Extensions:/Library/Java/Extensions:/Network/Library/Java/Extensions:/System/Library/Java/Extensions:/usr/lib/java:.
Can't load library: /Users/dpetrov/.swt/lib/macosx/aarch64/libswt-cocoa-4952r11.jnilib
Can't load library: /Users/dpetrov/.swt/lib/macosx/aarch64/libswt-cocoa.jnilib
Can't load library: /Users/dpetrov/.swt/lib/macosx/aarch64/libswt.jnilib
Can't load library: /Users/dpetrov/.swt/lib/macosx/aarch64/libswt-cocoa-4952r11.jnilib

at org.eclipse.swt.internal.Library.loadLibrary(Library.java:346)
at org.eclipse.swt.internal.Library.loadLibrary(Library.java:255)
at org.eclipse.swt.internal.C.<clinit>(C.java:19)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.<clinit>(Display.java:108)
at org.dbgl.gui.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:51)

Reply 1835 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Gulthar, make sure you're using my first Aarch64 build if you want to try out DBGL on a ARM-based Mac.

If you're getting an error like the one shown above, it might help to remove the ~/.swt directory, prior to launching DBGL.

Reply 1836 of 1968, by Gulthar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rcblanke wrote on 2022-09-06, 14:20:

If you're getting an error like the one shown above, it might help to remove the ~/.swt directory, prior to launching DBGL.

Thank you, removing ~/.swt worked!
I was able to launch DBGL, create a new profile, tune it to my liking, download game info from MobyGames and launch a game using bundled DosBox.

Reply 1839 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kyuzo68 wrote on 2022-10-02, 10:57:
Hi! Is it possible to rebuild the dbgl database? I've broken the old one upgrading with the last version, but i have all the pro […]
Show full quote

Hi!
Is it possible to rebuild the dbgl database?
I've broken the old one upgrading with the last version, but i have all the profiles and captions.
thanks in advance!

Broken? How so? Did you upgrade an old DBGL version to the latest one? If so, make sure you're following the procedure as explained on the website; first upgrade to 0.92, and only after that, upgrade to 0.96.

If you need more help, please send me a PM with your DBGL data (the db and profiles folders) so I can analyze that, and try to fix it.