VOGONS

First post, by dud716

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

.........While rummaging through some of my 'stuff', I came across an ATARI 600 XL. I can't believe it!, it's still in the box, however, I don't have any paperwork on the thing. Just for nostalgia, does anybody know anything about this machine?

Reply 1 of 8, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://www.i-m.de/home/compmuseum/atari/600_xl_e.htm

Operating system: Atari Basic RAM: 16 KB CPU: 6502, 1,79 MHz Display: Videochips Antic and GTIA: Text 40x24x16, 320x192x128 […]
Show full quote

Operating system: Atari Basic
RAM: 16 KB
CPU: 6502, 1,79 MHz
Display: Videochips Antic and GTIA:
Text 40x24x16, 320x192x128

Atari models 600XL and 800XL were direct successors of the Atari 400 and 800. But although they were technically superior to the VC20 and the C64 (especially concerning the graphics), they never got an equivalent share of success during their lifetime.
Very likely, the image of Atari as a well-known games producer has prevented many potential "serious" customers from buying or even working with an Atari - a problem well-known to Commodore with its Amiga series a few years later...

One of the most important developpers of the 8 bit Ataris was Jay Miner, who designed the "Antic" graphics chip and later had an important share in the development of the Amiga.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 6 of 8, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

*bah*
Send it to me, should be in the hands of one who knows it's true capacity. First home computer with 256 colors, 4 channel audio, hardware-based player/missile graphics (before they were called sprites) and 4 controller ports (unfortunately, Tramiel ripped the last two off of the XL/XE models).

Oh, never mind, I've still got my 130XE around somewhere. The hard thing nowadays is getting actual software and hardware for the "real thing". Far easier to load up and use an emulator...

Reply 7 of 8, by dud716

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nicht...I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment of the situation. I know that I may be in over my head, actually, I know that I am in over my head!!!:) I should probably consult a trained professional:P, such as yourself:)

Believe me...I'm not looking for trouble..my inquiry was only to satisfy my curiosity, nothing more. I originally wanted to post this with Stiletto's Ghetto PC (tm), but I did not want to add insult to injury 😀

Hey, it's all in fun, If these things were that easy to figure out, everybody would be doing it. Thanks for the info, now you can get back to the more serious stuff.😁

Reply 8 of 8, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm sure the hardware and software is still out there...just a pain to get (plus they tend to cost money). Still, if you can find a nice "Caverns of Mars" cart...

BTW, there are people who still code demos for the Atari 8-Bits. Very nice ones considering the hardware limitations...