VOGONS

CD Drive question

Topic actions

First post, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does anyone know what the drive mode selector jumper does?

273rear.gif

Reply 1 of 10, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Right well I half figured it out , the single bit overrides the drive to be the only recognized drive on that header.
No idea what the factory bit means though.

Reply 2 of 10, by Lylat1an

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Looks like the IDE master/slave selector to me. The Factory pins are probably for debugging.

Reply 3 of 10, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Master/Slave/Cable select are jumpers in "Jumper Block", I think. This single jumper is designed for configuration where there is only one IDE/ATA device on the cable (that is, this CD ROM drive). Some HDDs had it too.

Reply 4 of 10, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's a quite inventive set of jumpers. Which brand/model drive is this?

Reply 5 of 10, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Some IDE CD drives have jumpers to prevent the drive from operating in Ultra DMA modes to improve compatibility with older controllers.

Reply 6 of 10, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a Liteon 32x, a NEC cd burner, and some others with those extra 3 jumps and look nearly identical in back, AFAIK you do not use those for standard PC setups.
Factory is for a final test/calibration of the drive and that Single drive is for a specific use, Apple possibly or upgrade flashing the rom in a multi CD setup to make sure that just one gets flashed) iirc
(been a long time since I even thought about those so am probably remembering wrong from decades ago..)
If you look at many early PC cd burners you will see a space for those same jumpers but they are not there because they were not for "end users" ;p
just rambling...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 8 of 10, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Horun wrote on 2022-09-22, 03:27:
I have a Liteon 32x, a NEC cd burner, and some others with those extra 3 jumps and look nearly identical in back, AFAIK you do […]
Show full quote

I have a Liteon 32x, a NEC cd burner, and some others with those extra 3 jumps and look nearly identical in back, AFAIK you do not use those for standard PC setups.
Factory is for a final test/calibration of the drive and that Single drive is for a specific use, Apple possibly or upgrade flashing the rom in a multi CD setup to make sure that just one gets flashed) iirc
(been a long time since I even thought about those so am probably remembering wrong from decades ago..)
If you look at many early PC cd burners you will see a space for those same jumpers but they are not there because they were not for "end users" ;p
just rambling...

That's really odd , you'd think they wouldn't leave that kind of stuff exposed for consumers or at least hide it somewhere inside the drive on the pcb.

Reply 9 of 10, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can see this on some old HDD´s too, it´s really for configuration, where only this device alone is connected on the cable:

Reply 10 of 10, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ydee wrote on 2022-09-24, 16:41:

You can see this on some old HDD´s too, it´s really for configuration, where only this device alone is connected on the cable:

Yeah the single thing makes sense , its more the factory setting that's a bit odd.