Common searches

Bought this (Modern) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 1700 of 2072, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Other AM3 CPU option making progress, looks hopeful, not counting my chickens until they are hatched out of their packaging at my place though.

Checked that AthII X2 at last, it's got Regor-mortis, it's rigidly confined to being an L3 cacheless dual core. So, battle for the mATX board will be between AthII X4 and Phenom 8450, which I've got two of, which have to unlock and clock higher than the Athlon II.... or outside chance, any X2s I can get to exceed ~133% of X4 clock. (Fairly unlikely to happen, unless I get lead ticket X4s that are only in the lower 3Ghzes and a golden ticket X2 that does over 4.5Ghz.)

Plot twist... dude I bought motherboards off has listed his unsold at yard sale parts on a local classified. So second bite of cherry poss... There seems to be a several Machinist X99-K9 motherboards around locally for some reason, best price is $60, for $15 I could maybe have a Xeon to drop in it, though have to clarify details, number of cores matches V3 but Version not stated. Only one slot on that board though... and I have the ThinkCenter with i7-4770 which is about same grunt. I think unless my wife wants a faster rig I'll defer that for now... keep an eye on everything... I might not be able to resist if they get fed up of looking at them and chop prices more. Then anyway, another chance at the HD5770 also... do I realllllly want it? ... really really? It's a Sapphire 1GB model.... ohhhh wait dumbass... me wantee single slot version, that one's a fatass.

Then a Phenom II 820 is showing up at couch change pricing, maybe unlockable to 830 (+2MB cache) ... think I'll hold fire on that though, in an annoying part of the next city over, like anywhere else is a 15-20 min drive, this is a 15min plus 25min grinding through neighbourhoods because it's about the furthest away from any of the major roads you can get.... and that's if you don't catch many of the dozen or so lights... might go if I'm at least that side of the city for anything else.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 1701 of 2072, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sombrero wrote on 2022-09-26, 11:22:
Munx wrote on 2022-09-22, 14:42:

My Steam Deck/GabeBoy arrived earlier this week. Got the middle one with the nvme SSD and reflective screen. A very good way to go through the hundreds of games in my backlog.
image1.jpg

Doing a good job of being what my PSP was before - portable entertainment for the Sofa/Bed. Steam games for now, will be installing GoG stuff and emulators later on.

How have you liked it so far? I'm desperately trying to fight off the urge to get one too.

Loving it. I'm not using the desktop mode nearly as much as I expected and just using it to play steam games and some emulators. I expected issues going in regarding compatibility, but I guess they either ironed out many of them or my library just happens to have tons of compatible games, because so far I did not run into many that did not work, apart from a couple that needed just minor adjustments. The touch pads are not as good as the ones on the Steam controller (mainly because of the smaller size), but still nice to have for shooters.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 1702 of 2072, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Woot, sale appears to be finalised on a Phenom II X6 1090T which should arrive within a week. Paid about 60% of eBay lowest and don't have to wait three months for it to sail from China. ... This might keep me happy for a long while and not going to be chasing FX-8000 or 6000 series real hard unless they're super cheap.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 1703 of 2072, by pete8475

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I did some overtime at work last month and so ended up with a bunch of extra cash this week...

I might have gone a little crazy, I have bought the following online today:
Geforce RTX3070 8GB Founders Edition
Lenovo Thinkpad T580
Mister Multisystem Board and case (looking for a DE10 Nano at a reasonable price)

I don't really need any of this but here we are. 🤣

EDIT - I'd like to pick up some more 4TB SSD drives but the prices seem to have gone up about $100-150 on newegg. ugh.

Reply 1704 of 2072, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yah, prices rising from back to school specials to make black friday deals look good, then it will be an availability crunch until Boxing day/January sales, when all the stuff that arrived late gets cleared.. then there's another dump in March/April when new releases make it all look less premium. "Never time the market" say the people on commission who want to eat every month and not just like 4 times a year. 🤣

Anyhoo, enjoy your new toys. Most jelly of the T580 I think.. there was a classified used sale T480 here for decent money, I was thinking about it.

Anybody notice Amazon substituting stuff in your wishlists? I swear I wishlisted a cheap but okay heatpipe cooler that happened to have red LED on then I look back today and got a cooler master in the wishlist, red LED, but $15 to $20 more. I found the cooler again I thought I listed, it's saying out of stock... what if I wanted to wait for it to come back in stock assclowns? Also amazon seem to be working in reverse now, giving bigger discounts on first view to create FOMO impulse buys, then cutting the discount when you go back. Whereas before it would steadily increase discount to tempt you.

I don't know if it's a Sunday thing either but everything looks more expensive today. Not seeing much I like under $40 for cooler, maybe grab used/local, which when I looked midweek seemed to be pricing at new with free shipping, but today look better.

Reply 1705 of 2072, by pete8475

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-10-02, 18:11:

enjoy your new toys. Most jelly of the T580 I think.. there was a classified used sale T480 here for decent money, I was thinking about it.

I'm looking forward to it! The specs of it are decent, 16GB RAM, i5-8350U, 256GB SSD. I've been using a T530 for a while now and while it's decent the fan has a whine that gets on my nerves. Supposedly the T580 is nice and quiet.

Reply 1706 of 2072, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I used to be thinkpad diehard but newer models of optional and desirable designs and cooling turned me off and dell consistently having funny issues not just mine, friend's dell 12.1" business notebook as well, which recently died.
The best of all that was so reliable was T500 (still in use at friend's!) , T420 and T410 but I sold two leaving T410 in my inventory.

So I complied the wishlist of HP Probook notebooks including 12.1" models as they tend to have good structure, less issues and decent cooling, NVME M.2 SSD and newer CPUs.

Once I'm ready for one I'll check again and get one as time goes on the HP newer models becomes cheaper, but this long into future probably spring.
Right now I am thinking about getting Ryzen Pro CPU new desktop with iGPU to get ECC memory support and cool running for my main PC which is mostly websurfing. Then put in GPU card once prices settles down.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 1707 of 2072, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

On Friday I bought another Asus Sabertooth X58. I'll be pairing that with a Xeon X5675. I built my wife a system based on these same parts and it's a beast of a system still. So I'm going to build myself a similar system with my 3050 and just enjoy a great gaming system for not a whole lot of money.

Reply 1708 of 2072, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pete8475 wrote on 2022-10-02, 18:46:
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-10-02, 18:11:

enjoy your new toys. Most jelly of the T580 I think.. there was a classified used sale T480 here for decent money, I was thinking about it.

I'm looking forward to it! The specs of it are decent, 16GB RAM, i5-8350U, 256GB SSD. I've been using a T530 for a while now and while it's decent the fan has a whine that gets on my nerves. Supposedly the T580 is nice and quiet.

I have a T480 that has the same specs. It's currently running MacOS Monterey and I might be able to install Ventura on it once it's fully rereleased and my Ventura beta MacBook Air 2020 is waiting for the palmrest.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 1709 of 2072, by SteveC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got this today - it works perfectly with my Portta VGA-HDMI adapter, even for DOS and BIOS modes! https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09QSQN … 0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/StevesTechShed
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SteveTechShed

Reply 1710 of 2072, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The incoming incame...

edit: Browsing various Phenom II on cpu-world I'm seeing a lot of users post pics of apparently boxed "DGR" phenoms, so unless there's ppl out there stuffing empty boxes with tray CPU, it might be that this could have come in a box at one point. Didn't get cooler with this one though, still gotta find something worth putting on it. Hyper212 is backup plan but unsure I have right hardware.

Attachments

• Igottasammich.jpg
    Filename
    Igottasammich.jpg
    File size
    396.66 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Yum, a sandwich!
    File license
    Public domain
  • 1090TBEtray.jpg
    Filename
    1090TBEtray.jpg
    File size
    331.03 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Tasty Filling. Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition, tray/OEM.
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by BitWrangler on 2022-10-06, 17:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1711 of 2072, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SteveC wrote on 2022-10-06, 16:44:

Got this today - it works perfectly with my Portta VGA-HDMI adapter, even for DOS and BIOS modes! https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09QSQN … 0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Price seems quite reasonable for that kind of functionality. Mildly tempted to get one for messing around with broken screen tablets and android boxes, since then you just need a laptop, and have it's display up on screen, rather than needing another screen. With vga convertor and KVM you could have the one ring to rule them all machine... but lag gotta be a thing that's significant in spoiling game enjoyment.

Reply 1712 of 2072, by SteveC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-10-06, 17:02:
SteveC wrote on 2022-10-06, 16:44:

Price seems quite reasonable for that kind of functionality. Mildly tempted to get one for messing around with broken screen tablets and android boxes, since then you just need a laptop, and have it's display up on screen, rather than needing another screen. With vga convertor and KVM you could have the one ring to rule them all machine... but lag gotta be a thing that's significant in spoiling game enjoyment.

Yeah it's noticeable from moving the mouse on the VGA source PC going through the VGA-HDMI adapter then this into OBS. It's not bad but would irritate you!

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/StevesTechShed
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SteveTechShed

Reply 1713 of 2072, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My Asus Sabertooth X58 came in today so I popped in my X5675 and got it tested and all is good. I can't wait to get my system built around this awesome and potent combo!

Reply 1714 of 2072, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Noice, quite a powerhouse... don't post any benchies or I'll get thinking about E5s on X99s again. 🤣

Reply 1715 of 2072, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's a great combo I built my wife basically the same exact system at the beginning of February. I promise not to post my findings. These Xeon's along with triple channel ram are seriously speedy gaming systems.

Reply 1716 of 2072, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Got a cooler ordered, Amazon restocked the one I wanted. Went with the cheapskate's champion Deepcool Gammaxx 400 v2 with lovely red LEDs... don't really want it lit but red was cheaper for some reason. I am sure if there isn't an off switch I can inflict rapid death upon them.... or swap the fan out... 64cfm is kinda modest for a 120.... 2x140cfm in push pull should handle about anything... just kidding, probably too screamy, we'll see how 64cfm does, maybe edge up to 80 if required.

Reply 1717 of 2072, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2022-10-06, 18:27:

It's a great combo I built my wife basically the same exact system at the beginning of February. I promise not to post my findings. These Xeon's along with triple channel ram are seriously speedy gaming systems.

My XP Machine is a 5690 on an X58 P6T7 WS Supercomputer w/ 12GB Triple Channel and a GTX 780TI. I also have Win 10 installed and often use it for a daily driver, simply because its location is better for multi-tasking.

Reply 1718 of 2072, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shagittarius wrote on 2022-10-07, 04:07:
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2022-10-06, 18:27:

My XP Machine is a 5690 on an X58 P6T7 WS Supercomputer w/ 12GB Triple Channel and a GTX 780TI. I also have Win 10 installed and often use it for a daily driver, simply because its location is better for multi-tasking.

I'm currently running a HP Prolient ML350 G6 with two X5675s. I'm going to give that system to my kids to use for school work And games. I really just love how my wife's system turned out that I wanted to build another one. The server chip set is based on X58 but being a server it's bios is kinda limiting as to what you can tweak. I know it's not the latest or greatest but it's very affordable while still packing a big punch with performance.

Reply 1719 of 2072, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wow, first time in years they managed to get more than 2 identical items shipped in the same box 🤣. Hot air rework station is one of those 858B clones. I'm dangerous now 🤣 Had irons and large hotair gun for "broad strokes" work, and when I dared a pencil torch for quick fixes in not very crowded spots. So hoping to get some trickier stuff done.

I guess I'm lucky we didn't get an annihilation reaction in transit, putting stuff to make things cool right next to things to make things hot 🤣

Attachments

• HSFetc.jpg
    Filename
    HSFetc.jpg
    File size
    254.99 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    4! 1,2,3,4! hahaha.. Coolers and soldering gear.
    File license
    Public domain