VOGONS

First post, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've found what seems to be a bug in the voodoo version of TR1. It has shown up since I extended the chromakeying in OpenGLide (done for the sake of Croc and Screamer 2). First thought was the the change introduced a bug, but analysing TR1's Glide calls the bug does seem to be in the game.

Is there anybody still able to play TR1 through a voodoo card? If so could I give you a savegame to try out?

Reply 2 of 8, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Great thanks Nicht. Here's the savegame. It should leave you in Palace Midas somewhere. The test is to press ESC to get the ring menu and look at the darkened game snapshot that is used as a background. Do you see any little dark patches on the floor and ceiling.

TR uses one particular color to mean transparent, and it looks like it is accidently using that color when darkening the game snapshots.

Attachments

• Filename
    savegame.zip
    File size
    2.47 KiB
    Downloads
    1413 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 8, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Glidos
Great thanks Nicht.

Just earning my keep...

Do you see any little dark patches on the floor and ceiling.

Nope, everything looks just like it should. Menu screen background looks like a 40% darker area with no "discoloration". Ran around the area, jumping back and forth between the menu and the game. All worked fine...

Reply 5 of 8, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Which tomb.exe?

The original Voodoo version.

what size in bytes?

1,114K 1,140,735 Bytes
Came from the Tomb Raider Gold CD

The little dark patches might be visible only with the monitor brightness turned up.

Brightness was turned all the way up. The monitor isn't all that bright, but I could see everything quite clearly.

Reply 7 of 8, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

But you'll need a suitable Glide2x.ovl for your card and I don't know where you'd find that.

I swapped it for my original, no change of OVL file and it worked fine except for a few columns in the immediate area (they had corrupted textures). No change in the Menu/Darkening effect. No "dark spots" appearing...