VOGONS

Reply 520 of 631, by ltning

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
JazeFox wrote on 2022-11-03, 08:30:

First of all, thank you everyone as usual for your kind words and also for reporting bugs, etc...

Possible bug: when I pipe the output through FIND (to locate a specific card, for example), there's a spurious partial newline which is only visible to certain tools. The result is if I use ndos or 4dos to get the first line of output it fails because there's some special character that looks like a line of its own .. I haven't hexdumped it yet but I'll try to do that when I'm back home next week.

Worked around it by using a temporary file and some other hackery, so no big deal :)

You can except a small update in november/decemeber.

Brilliant. Saw my iwinit (memory reset) question? :)

/Eirik

The Floppy Museum - on a floppy, on a 286: http://floppy.museum
286-24/4MB/ET4kW32/GUS+SBPro2
386DX-40/20MB/CL5434 ISA/GUSExtreme
486BL-100/32MB/ET4kW32p VLB/GUSPnP/AWELegacy

~ love over gold ~

Reply 522 of 631, by ltning

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
JazeFox wrote on 2022-11-03, 17:15:
ltning wrote on 2022-11-03, 16:08:

Saw my iwinit (memory reset) question? :)

Sure, in fact, I'm surprised you didn't see my answer (and related questions) for you in my last post :)

My blindness astounds even me from time to time. My apologies.
So the issue can for example be seen in FreddyV's modmxt player, and I believe I saw it in inertia player too. Some instruments would play fine, others would be obvious leftovers from some previous playback or "white noise". Running iwinit would fix it. On a 286, due to something in iwinit tickling the 386 instructions - this only seems to work with emu386 installed which is ... not optimal.

/Eirik

The Floppy Museum - on a floppy, on a 286: http://floppy.museum
286-24/4MB/ET4kW32/GUS+SBPro2
386DX-40/20MB/CL5434 ISA/GUSExtreme
486BL-100/32MB/ET4kW32p VLB/GUSPnP/AWELegacy

~ love over gold ~

Reply 523 of 631, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hey @JazeFox do you ever intend to enable SBK loading for AWE32/64 cards?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 526 of 631, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
CachoAlpuy wrote on 2022-11-14, 14:06:

Is it possible to add support for the cryspal cs4231? Its this card: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:ISA-l … -Soundkarte.jpg

Isn't CS4231 only a codec? It does not handle the PnP functions on this card AFAIK, for that you need support for the Aztech chip actually.

Reply 527 of 631, by CachoAlpuy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2022-11-15, 06:14:

Is it possible to add support for the cryspal cs4231? Its this card: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:ISA-l … -Soundkarte.jpg

Isn't CS4231 only a codec? It does not handle the PnP functions on this card AFAIK, for that you need support for the Aztech chip actually.

Then it would be to add support for the AZT2316, is it possible?

Reply 528 of 631, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
CachoAlpuy wrote on 2022-11-15, 13:42:
appiah4 wrote on 2022-11-15, 06:14:

Then it would be to add support for the AZT2316, is it possible?

AZT2316 is a non-PnP chipset, it's not within UNISOUND's scope.

Moreover, you don't require UNISOUND to use it; just set the card's jumpers to set the Address and the CONFIG.EXE utility in the driver pack to set IRQ and DMA. After that, just a BLASTER environment in AUTOEXEC.BAT is all you need, no drivers at boot at all.

Reply 529 of 631, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2022-11-15, 19:52:

There are already several non-PnP but software configurable cards supported, and people often prefer UNISOUND to the "proprietary" initializers.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 530 of 631, by csal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm using an Aztech AT6800W with an AZT2320 chipset and there's a weird issue with Quake 1.06 outputting mono(even though it thinks it's outputting stereo according to the soundinfo console command) and Quake 1.08 outputting reversed stereo. Not sure if it's a problem with unisound or a problem with this soundcard incorrectly reversing stereo when it detects an extra byte before the PCM stream as suggested here: Re: SBPro1 CT1330A owners, care to help figuring things out?

But if it's a problem with the card then I humbly request adding a stereo reversing option to unisound so it can fix games with reversed stereo by reversing the reversal

Reply 531 of 631, by CachoAlpuy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
GL1zdA wrote on 2022-11-16, 15:07:
appiah4 wrote on 2022-11-15, 19:52:

There are already several non-PnP but software configurable cards supported, and people often prefer UNISOUND to the "proprietary" initializers.

Yeah, i prefer to have only one driver for almost all the cards because im all the time changing between cards.

Reply 532 of 631, by vutt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

JazeFox are you aware that with Orpheus I card FM/Synth/Wavetable volume switch /VFxx ignores(does not set Wavetable volume) both on digital and analogue outputs?
To be honest even CrystalWare native mixer cwdmix.exe is behaving in the same way so it might be hardware limitation. Then again 640K!enough orphinit.exe is capable changing WT volume so it can be done.

I have probably niche use case with Orpheus WT addon and multiple external MIDI romplers daisy-chained over joystick port. Using external mixer for handling volume between devices. If I want to use soundcard digital effects and any of external romplers for music on card WT module cant be turned off...

Reply 533 of 631, by JazeFox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all!

Time for a xmas release! 😀

Tool updated to v0.80a

Changelog:

• Fixed support for Compaq Interwave / STB Ultrasound 32 Pro (GUS PnP compatible card): Added proper initialization of TEA6330T sound control chip. Now sound output is working properly and control for treble and bass is added (/VTxx /VBxx) if your card has this chip. Default value: 50%
  • Fixed GUS PnP input levels not muting completely when using /Vx00
  • Fixed ALS100 mixer init bug introduced in v0.78b. All levels are working now.
  • Added support for OPTi 82C924 PnP chip based cards.
  • Added support for Analog Devices AD1812 PnP chip based cards.
  • Added 3D control support for OPTi 82c933 cards. 3D ON = /X3D1
  • Fixed Wavetable volume not changing with /VF when SPDIF mode was enabled on Orpheus / TB Malibu cards.
    (Note: some games/apps messing with SB mixer registers 00h, 06h, 26h, might reset levels again)
  • Fixed an old bug that assigned a 2nd DMA on cards that don't support it.
  • Minor changes to char printing in detection phase to fix issues with 4DOS and other minor code and text optimizations.
  • Fixed /D used together with other options caused unexpected results.
  • Added WSS mode support for Aztech 2320 cards. Use /XWSS to change to WSS mode. Default is SB mode.
    Note: WSS and SB modes are mutually exclusive.
  • Change: Unified command line option for cards with capability to switch between WSS and SB modes: /XWSS (Previously was /XPW1 for OPTi cards) to swith to WSS mode. Default is SB mode if /XWSS switch is not used.
    Check supported cards in TXT section 5.1.3
  • New: *EXPERIMENTAL* Non-PnP card detection mode for very very few cards:
    * OAK OTI-601 "Mozart" / OPTi 82c928/A chips (almost the same chip)
    * OPTi 82C924 and 82C925 in "no PnP" mode
    * ESS ES1688. Configurable: IRQ, DMA, MPU port, MPU IRQ, joyport.
    * ESS ES688. Configurable: IRQ, DMA.
    * Creative Sound Blaster 16 / AWE32 Non-PnP jumperless cards (already supported but listed here for completeness). /CS will continue working as usual for backward compatibility for these cards.
    Option to try this new non-PnP card initialization: /NOPNP
    NOTE: As it's experimental, please plug only one Non-PnP sound card in the system to avoid problems and false positives. Support for more Non-PnP cards is not planned in any way in the near future, so please don't ask.

NOTES:

- For OPTi 924/925 non-PnP cards, you'll see "PnP card found" text at detection phase. It's OK.
    - For Orpheus / Malibu wavetable volume in SPDIF mode: A lot of games and programs modify SB mixer registers, when they modify 06h or 26h (FM related registers) to any value or a reset (in reg 00h), the wavetable volume is reset to Crystal's defaults. An idea to avoid that could be the MIDIto tool found here in Vogons, as it's a TSR (and UNISOUND is not) and could monitor those writes and block them. Maybe the author is interested in adding that feature.
    - For OAK "Mozart" / OPTi 82C928 chips: Those chips have very bad compatibility with games and programs. Sometimes it's needed to re-initialize the card after running some games/programs (it's a chip's SB emulation issue, the same problem happens with original drivers). SB mode digital audio is mono only. FM/OPL3 and WSS mode can be used in stereo.

The download link is updated at the end of the first post as usual:
UNISOUND - Universal ISA PnP Sound Card Driver for DOS v0.81b

Last edited by JazeFox on 2022-12-22, 08:36. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 539 of 631, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Jazefox, I am messing with a very small factor 286/16 system with integrated I/O (Acer M5105) and VGA (OTI 067) - chipset is the Headland HT12 and the BIOS is the old AMIBIOS one with a single screen for settings and separate "diagnostics". In this system none of the PnP cards I tried were detected by official or 3rd party drivers: CS4237, CMI8330 and ALS100. Non-PnP cards like Opti930, CT1320 and CT1600 work fine as expected.
So I decided to install Intel's Configuration manager in case it helps :

4bQZc3E.jpg

The ALS100 card was detected and configured correctly according to ICU but unisound reports no card found (same for 0.78b version).
The original ALS drivers just hang on the 286 and you need to reboot.
I am not sure if this means anything or even useful to unisound development but if you want more info/tests on this system please tell me.

As a sidenote I also found 2 more 386 (SX and DX) systems with the newer AMIBIOS that cannot detect ALS100 with the original driver
ALCONFIG quits with this error message: Error CSN readback from the card
ALSINIT and Unisound report they initialized the card but it's left in some half-init state and not all games can use FM or PCM.
Unisound might take a reboot or two to report that it found the card and it initialized it .

Anyways that's what experienced - also in line with some rare reports about Orpheus not getting detected at all in non-PnP systems , it seems it's not always a given
that the late 90s chips will work on older systems.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website