VOGONS

How to fix RB3D crashes with Radeon 9700?

Topic actions

First post, by BMSliger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When exiting mission (Fly now or Campaign) I get the Windows Box with the message:
"Red Baron II Singleplayer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." The options are to send or not send a problem report to MS. When I close this box I am dropped to the desktop. This happens every single time.

Some background - It was originally freezing the screen and hard locking the system (had to reboot) when exiting a mission. When I dropped my desktop to 16bit resolution, the hard locking stopped and the crashing listed above started. I have played with the desktop resolutions and bit depths to no avail - 16bit always crashes and 32bit always hard locks regardless of the desktop resolution. I have tried enabling and disabling the IgnorePaletteChange option in the OpenGLid.ini file. I have tried turning Sun Glare option on and off in the realism settings. I tried turning Video Acceleration and Sound Acceleration down a notch. Nothing seems to change.

I would love to get back into RB but flying in DD mode is an ugly option even with PL and HA patches.

System
RB3D - Clean install from CD with 1078 patch applied.
Glidos Version 0.07b4 (Latest from Glidos website)
Abit It7-Max2 motherboard - D7 Bios dated 12/17/02
512MB Corsair PC3200 DDR
P4 2.66 Ghz (Not OC)
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro with Catalyst 3.1 Drivers (Also happens with 3.0a drivers) - Not OC
Windows XP Pro with SP1 and all patches up to date
DX9 (Also happens with DX8.1 which comes with XP Pro)
M-Audio Revolution 7.1 Sound Card with latest drivers
2x80GB WD 7200 HD in Raid 0 NTFS
16X Lite On DVD
48x12x48 Lite On CDRW
On-board LAN and USB ports
TM Cougar HOTAS (not installed currently - problems happened with it installed or not)

Just did a clean reinstall of Windows XP Pro and problems still happening. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Monte

Reply 6 of 60, by BMSliger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Maverick,

I have read of other people using Radeon 9700 Pro cards and Glidos with RB3D and having success. I just don't know why I am not.

Do you have any components in common with me?

Thanks for the replies.

Monte

Reply 8 of 60, by Maverick

User metadata

Well, I made a few other interesting observations... for one, it only crashed when I attempted to end missions (and go to a debriefing), not when I abort back to the main menu. Second, I tried turning off Glide, and it did the same thing with Direct Draw and Windowed, which led me to believe it was a problem to do with the program itself. So, I uninstalled and eradicated the directory entirely, then reinstalled, and put the glidos files back in. Now it works fine, and I can end missions normally... I still have no idea what the problem was, but it's working for now. Give it a shot.

Mav Out

Reply 9 of 60, by BMSliger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Mav,

Sorry, but I have uninstalled and reinstalled RB3D approximately 15 times including completely deleting all associated directories and registry entries. I have also tried reformatting and reinstalling WinXP Pro and installing Win98SE instead of WinXP Pro. Same problems each time (crashing when attempting to switch from the mission which is operating in Glide mode to the de-briefing screen which I assume is DD), except in Win98SE the message box changes to the famous "This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down" message. With DD enabled instead of Glide everything works OK but DD is too ugly to play in even with PL and/or HA patches installed.

Glad you got your system working.

Monte

Reply 12 of 60, by BMSliger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Glidos,

Already tried the OpenGlide drivers. They give the same results as the Glidos drivers. I don't know what else to try. I am beginning to wonder about some weird incompatibility between my MB and Radeon card even though I haven't come across any mention of problems in the many forums and newsgroups I have perused.

Unregistered,

Post your system specs so I can compare to mine.

Thanks for the replies,

Monte

Reply 13 of 60, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by BMSliger Already tried the OpenGlide drivers. They give the same results as the Glidos drivers.

Just so you know, the OpenGlide wrapper is actually part of GliDOS. It's just that the most recent OpenGlide isn't part of GliDOS yet.

I am beginning to wonder about some weird incompatibility between my MB and Radeon card ...

Always a possibility. Even when there's a large group of players who seemingly find a universally accepted solution, there's always an unfortunate few left in Limbo.

Reply 14 of 60, by Slice

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

BMSliger / Monty

As per newsgroup (I'm Mark) I have exactly the same problem.

Firstly the game was crashing all the time with can't find glide card etc.. Then I thought I'd remove all ATI drivers completely and install the latest official ATI drivers. Was using the new Omega drivers before, now CATALYST RADEON 3.1 (7.83).
Bingo it works - well almost gaaah !

Now it will only work at all with the 0.07b5 OpenGlide (all others crash or show half a screen etc). I installed the OTE 4 Seasons patch/Hells Angels with the 3Dpatch and it looks fantastic now.

Only problem is my system crashes exactly the same as you now!

If I fly around for a while 5 minutes or so the whole PC locks up, or if I press ESC to go to the menu it locks up too, or if I end a mission it locks up (hard lock, reset button 🙁( )

My system to compare...

Asus P4S8X BIOS 103A
Intel P4 2.53 Northwood @ 2.7GHz (runs Ravenshield for hours at a time, and runs v cool, so it's not overheating or whatever).
WinXP SP1
SB Audigy 2 with latest driver updates from web update.
ATI 9700 Pro with CATALYST RADEON 3.1 (7.83) Display Drivers
3 x Crucial 512mb 2700 DDR
350watt PS
2 x 30GB ATA 100 HD's 7200 Maxtor on Promise Fasttrak 100 Raid controller.
Seagate 120GB on internal EIDE
250GB & 30GB external firewire drives
Sony DVD+-RW on secondary EIDE internal.
Onboard ATA Device (Promise controller) Disabled in BIOS
Onboard Realtek 10/100 LAN card to ADSL router.
0.07b5 OpenGlide

I have tried many settings on or off in the openglide.ini - none seem to help.

Mark

😒

--
Slice

Specs
Althlon 64 4000+
Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI nForce 4 motherboard
2GB Ballastix DDR500 memory
Audigy 2
Ati X850XT Pro
400GB SATA RAID 0
NEC 3500A 16X DVDRW

Reply 15 of 60, by BMSliger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Mark,

Just changed out my motherboard to Abit BE7-RAID with all other hardware remaining same. Still same problem. So I have now tried two different motherboards (Abit IT7-Max2 and Abit BE7-Raid), three different sound cards (M-Audio Revolution 7.1, SB Audigy and Hercules Fortissimo 3) and two Operating Systems (WinXP w/SP1 and Win98SE). Same problem with all of them. I think I have an old Voodoo2 12MB card around here someplace. I may see if I can find it and try that. Maybe tomorrow I will stick in an old GeForce4 4400 video card I have laying around and see if the problem is with the Radeon 9700 Pro or something else.

I am just about to give up on RB3D even though it is one of my favorite flight sims of all time. Maybe someone will figure out the problem with the Glide wrapper and I can go back to it later. It is frustrating that some people seem to have it working with the Radeon and no matter what I do, I cannot.

Monte

Reply 17 of 60, by Slice

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Woops that was me not logged in sorry

BTW could someone who is using successfully using a 9700 Pro and glidos with RB3D (or patched RBII+3D patch) post some machine information and openglide.ini settings?
Thanks!

Last edited by Slice on 2003-02-27, 11:09. Edited 1 time in total.

--
Slice

Specs
Althlon 64 4000+
Audigy 2
Ati X850XT Pro
400GB SATA RAID 0
NEC 3500A 16X DVDRW

Reply 18 of 60, by BMSliger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Mark,

Early on I did, but since I have been experimenting, I simply load RB3D from the CD, patch to 1078 (I have also tried not patching), verify that it works in DD mode and then load Glidos (or OpenGlide) and crash as soon as a mission ends. Without any form of a glide wrapper loaded (DD mode), I can fly just fine and not crash. DD mode sucks.

Monte

Reply 19 of 60, by Slice

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Monte,

Are you using Anti aliasing or Ansitropic filtering? I am.

[BTW Glidos, should we post this in the openglide area... or is it Ok here?]

--
Slice

Specs
Althlon 64 4000+
Audigy 2
Ati X850XT Pro
400GB SATA RAID 0
NEC 3500A 16X DVDRW