Common searches

DirectSerial patch

Topic actions

Reply 240 of 353, by mf2hd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you hal for the reply.

I've tried some setting but not made the test very well...

With "rxdelay=0" the scan results seems a bit right: missed some devices but these ones are now in the right places (nearly all), sometimes it finds an "unknow".

With your "ocbus" the program run well and with very low dbox speed, cycles=200 in settings, the scan found almost all the devices in the right places.

What do you intend as "device also receives the data it sends", the converter or that ones are in the bus?
My 232/485 converter have the tx/rx always enable so I can set an echo function with a jumper (it was in this condition during the tests).

A question: why the dbox status windows shows that error lines (see previous attachment) without running the program, just at the dbox startup?

By the way, I've tried to boot the pc with a dos floppy and run the program: not works fine in this way too, I suppose the machine is too fast for this old program.

I try to do other tests in the next days...

_mf2hd_

Reply 241 of 353, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

> What do you intend as "device also receives the data it sends"

Should have been "computer also receives the data it sends". Yea, echo is the right word here.

> why the dbox status windows shows that error lines

I think the bus nodes are communicating all the time? If no application reads the data the serial port it will frequently produce overruns. The other errors indicate that something the serial port cannot understand happens on the bus.

Reply 242 of 353, by mf2hd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The other errors indicate that something the serial port cannot understand happens on the bus.

I forgot to disconnect from the bus a remote field-controller 😢, after this one was removed automagically all those continuous errors disappeared.
Sometimes there are some overruns in status win but the devices were found at the right addresses and the individual communication seems running fine 😀 (leave the notebook online for hours and the data was collected without problems).

The dbox that seems run better is the cvs 0.70 with rxdelay=0 and slow cycles (500/700).

Thank you again hal for the suggestions.

_mf2hd_

Reply 243 of 353, by gdamjan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,
i received very good results with testing the direct serial communication (it works ok, when i try to flash an ancient atmel chip). Hovever, i get errors when my programs tried to erase the chip. The errors shown in dos box status are:
Serial1: Errors occurred: Framing 0, Parity 0, Overrun 1 (IF0:1), break 0.

Maybe someone has more info about this.
Thanks in advance.
Damjan

Reply 244 of 353, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

And it didn't work?
The error says the program wasn't ready to get data from the serial port.
Try to increase the speed (cycles).

Or if it intentional ignores the data add rxdelay:0 or rxdelay:10 to the serial settings.

Could be a glitch with disabled interrupts too.

1+1=10

Reply 245 of 353, by gdamjan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, flashing was done ok. As I understaind, program works that way:
first erases chip boot sector,
secondly writes boot sector+image to the chip
There are two files (boot.bin and xxx.hex) in the working directory.
So in this case i dont know what can goes wrong, if program doesnt erase the chip.
b.r.
Damjan

Reply 246 of 353, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Testing time again 😀

Changes:
- Implement 16550A FIFO
- Improve overrun error handling
- Improve serial error handling in directserial

So far the changes apply to nullmodem and directserial-win32.

Tested with a few terminals and games (nullmodem), Breadbox Ensemble and Win95 (dial-up with real modem).

If you find a regression, please let me know.

Build:
http://home.arcor.de/h-a-l-9000/test/dosbox_s … rial10_fifo.zip
Patch:
http://home.arcor.de/h-a-l-9000/test/serial10.diff

The build has the serial debugging enabled and supports an additional option 'dbgall' to enable all debug output sources.

Another issue: Some people seem to think that the 'ocbus' modification made it into the official releases. This is not the case.

Attachments

• Filename
    dosbox_w95_iexplore.png
    File size
    52.33 KiB
    Downloads
    34 downloads
    File comment
    Screenshot of Internet browsing using dial-up in Windows 95
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 247 of 353, by Dani

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks H-A-L
This one is a life saver!

I have an old DOS machine ( a scope & some other stuff with it) an was unable to run it on anything after W95. XP ? forget it....
I've tried GiveIO...didn't work...
The best one was with W98SE with patched serial drivers.
That needed another PC though.

Now i can run it with DOSBOx and your serial patch on my XP PC and conficurate the files "on the fly" thanks to DOSBox directory mounting.
Ya right, NICE THING that DOSBOx!!!!
It loads averything in under 2sec. If only one day real computers could boot so fast...

Question: is your patch implemented in V0.72 release?

Thanks again. Good work.

Reply 249 of 353, by defjab

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

N00b here so don't mind the ignorance. I'm trying to use a a PDT3100. It uses a NullModem Cable to communicate to a Host PC. it works intermittently with win xp command module, but I Can not seem to get it to work with DosBox. I've tried 0.72 and h-a-l's 0.71 build with no success. Can anyone point me in the proper directions?

M

Reply 252 of 353, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Last thing you can try is make a serial debug log and send that to me.
Use the serial10 build (above), configure it like this

serial1=directserial realport:comx dbgall

and attempt to use the serial device. After quitting DOSBox there should be a file named serlog... in the capture directory.

1+1=10

Reply 255 of 353, by brightspark58

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
I wonder if you can help? I'm not a games player or a computer hack, but I have a problem with an old ibm
thinkpad 600x . I only have one serial connector and
need another to opperate an interface. I've purchase a usb serial adaptor but it only works under windows, and
for the interface application to work it must be dos. can
dosbox be configure to over come this problem?

Regards
To All

Reply 257 of 353, by brightspark58

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

No, its not the number of serial ports allowed. my problem is i'm not
sure if dosbox can see the serial connector when its connecting through
a usb socket, which i assume is controlled by windows . (my operating system is me) all the drivers for the serial usb adaptor were for windows.

Regards
Dean

Reply 259 of 353, by brightspark58

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

o.k , so dosbox can recognise a serial connector through a usb,providing
its not a bugged adaptor. my next next question? , if you have patience.
Is how can i confirm that dosbox is communicating through Both serial ports, The original oem and the adaptor. And are there any adjustments
that would need to be carried out? or should it be as simple as plug and play.

All the best
Dean