Common searches

Audiopack revival

Topic actions

Reply 261 of 301, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here's v1.39, which - if all going well - I'll release from the main web site.

trkfk.exe is now a TSR which may make it a bit more stable.

<<I deleted the attachment. I'll stick a better version up in a min>>

Last edited by Glidos on 2007-10-06, 20:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 265 of 301, by Zebius

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've made some more tests. Version 1.39 seems to work fine for me - no crash so far (playing for about 40 minutes). Using MP3 on hard drive is really good method - there are no delays and synchronization in cutscenes is perfect. 😀

But I still experience some minor issues in Lara's House. Beginnings of some of Lara's instructions are cut off; first sentences in this level have good quality and volume level, but starting from exercise No.3 in gym they become quiet and noisy until the end. Anybody can confirm it?

@haz0r
Tell us what did you do exactly, are you using Audio Pack 1.6 on hard drive or a replacement CD?

Reply 266 of 301, by KMO

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If you play my MP3s on Windows Media Player you tend to get the start cut off too.

I would hope there's nothing wrong with the MP3s - they were extracted with care from a PlayStation CD using Exact Audio Copy and FLAC, but they do start right at the start of a track. Presumably Glidos is using the same system MP3 player as Media Player, and that has a problem getting initial sync.

They were encoded as Variable Bit-Rate though - maybe the player would cope better with Constant Bit-Rate?

I must admit I have not used the MP3s in anger myself though. I extracted the PlayStation CD as WAV using EAC and burnt those to a CD, to avoid the MP3 compression.

As for haz0r - have you cleared out your Glidos\Audio directory? Part of me wonders if you have several bundles of .mp3 files all on top of each other in there. I'm not sure what the installer does.

Last edited by KMO on 2007-10-06, 20:25. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 267 of 301, by KMO

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Zebius wrote:

starting from exercise No.3 in gym they become quiet and noisy until the end. Anybody can confirm it?

Sound like it's dropped back to the internal 8-bit sound. Which it should normally only do if it thinks the track it wants is unavailable (which it determines up-front by asking for the number of tracks, rather than at the time of play).

It's probably a good idea to lower the CD volume to reduce the volume difference. The 8-bit internal sound is unusually quiet in Tomb Raider.

Reply 269 of 301, by Zebius

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@KMO
The problems I described concern playing with MP3s only. When using replacement CD all sounds play OK, but 2 sec delay still exists here.

I went through the Lara's House few times and every time is almost the same. Sounds which are usually cut off:
#34 '... use to be a ballroom.'
#37 '... want to look around.'
Degradation of sound volume and quality still starts from exercise #3. You are probably right, they sound like 8-bit. I checked all mp3s from your audio pack by external player and they all play OK.

Reply 271 of 301, by Zebius

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks, too quiet and bad quality sounds fixed 😀

But some sounds are cut off as before. Maybe sound pre-caching or something like that would help here?

Anyway it's close to perfection now 😁

Reply 274 of 301, by z9d10

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

and experienced the audio triggers the way I remember them on my PS1

http://www.epsxe.com/

just in case one would like to see how this group extracted the cd information , or simply for those (like myself) that like to compare the ps ( on pc) version with the pc version )

Reply 275 of 301, by haz0r

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
KMO wrote:

As for haz0r - have you cleared out your Glidos\Audio directory? Part of me wonders if you have several bundles of .mp3 files all on top of each other in there. I'm not sure what the installer does.

You were right; there was bundles of .mp3's stored in there, so I deleted them, reinstalled the audio pack and it work. 😁

Many thanks KMO. 😁

Reply 276 of 301, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
KMO wrote:
Glidos wrote:

KMO - RiscOS TCP stack? Is that right?

Ah, sorry, yes, that's me. Later versions, at least.

Then I remember you well. I wrote LanMan98. I remember there was some sort of problem where LanMan98 had to call into the TCP stack from a callback, and wait for a reply, but the TCP stack wouldn't do anything until its own callback. You gave me insider info on a call I could make to poll it. I seem to remember hassling you a lot too when Robin Watts and I were dong the RiscOS real audio port.

Reply 277 of 301, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've just tried 1.39 with Audio Pack 1.6 MP3s and KMO's pathced .EXE and I am a very happy bunny indeed! All audio plays as expected, background ambience loops, new music starts at various cues and best of all, cutscene audio is now in sync even after a long wait for high-res textures to load.

Awesome stuff guys, well done! 😁 😁

Reply 279 of 301, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And amazing to see how far you can take an old game without having access to the source!

It's re-inspired me to continue work on TRX...