VOGONS

DgVoodoo 1 Discussion Thread

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 280 of 341, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Windows Vista will not allow DOS programs which require graphics modes fullscreen access because of the new video driver model. (WDDM) You have to install the XP video drivers in Windows Vista for fullscreen.

I believe you can use VDOS32 to play TR1 in Windows Vista but you may have to pay.

Also AFAIK VdmSound doesn't work in Windows Vista so you'll have to use Vista's POS SB emulation.

Again VDOS32 fixes these problems or you can play TR1 in DosBox.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 285 of 341, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gidierre wrote:

Well, I say it works.
It gives me sound effects via sb emulation (footsteps, shots etc.) running Tomb raider 1 under Vista.

As DosFreak said:

DosFreak wrote:

Also AFAIK VdmSound doesn't work in Windows Vista so you'll have to use Vista's POS SB emulation.

Just because you hear sound does not mean that VDMS is working. It is probably using "Vista's POS SB emulation."

Reply 286 of 341, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
collector wrote:

Just because you hear sound does not mean that VDMS is working. It is probably using "Vista's POS SB emulation."

OK, but how would you explain this :
as far as yesterday there was no sound at all, right ? I launched it via dgVoodoosetup.
Today I just go
dosdrv
at cmd prompt and it has sound. How's that ?
Please note that, yesterday like today, following the tip in dege's readme_eng.txt I made sure vddloader.dll was moved to \windows\sytem32, so what has changed after all ?

What I think is, it (VDMsound) was working yesterday too, but as it started it was the no fullscreen failure that knocked it out, so to speak, and I had no way of knowing whether it was loaded\working or not, and assumed it wasn't. Today, just dosdrv (before calling dgvesa) lets it remain "hooked" and as dgvesa as I see doesn't crash and makes it to fullscreen, then the game can get started.

Besides, since this thread is about dgVoodoo, I hope nobody gets hurt if I take the liberty of quoting dege himself when he writes :

- Vista is disposed to load any VDD only from Windows\system32, I think this is because of a security-crap or something like that. The point is that keep your Glide2x.dll there if you want to run any DOS stuff. Actually, it's important NOT to have any Glide2x.dll in the folder of DOS app because the DOS driver notices it in this case and wants Vista to load that instance. And Vista's respond is dismissive.
(This behavior should be avoided by some development as well as getting setup to search for Glide2x.dll instances in Windows\system32.)
You have to do the same with VDMSound, just copy its vddloader.dll into System32, and voila, it works like a charm.

I sure am no authority here, but I think dege's words matter.

What is your comment ?

Reply 288 of 341, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

erm..
made a little test I could well have thought of before.

Rebooted, typed just

dgvesa
sapucdex ( also, no sapucdex, it's the same)
tomb

without dosdrv that is, game runs normally, except there's no sound at all !

Reboot, go

dgvesa
dosdrv
sapucdex
tomb

sound effects are back (no music anyway though).

I guess this ought to sort of prove it's vdmsound that's really working, right ?

Btw, has anyone been able to have sapucdex work with Vista yet ?

TIA

Reply 289 of 341, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I hope gidierre and some of the previous posters in this thread will be able to help each other figuring out what works, and what doesn't work.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 290 of 341, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I personally have no interest in testing NTVDM in Vista (wasted too much time on it as it is).....so I won't be helping to clear things up. 😀

GliDOS perhaps would be the best source of info for TR1 and Vista.

Reply 291 of 341, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A veryveryvery late respond again, don't know if someone is reading this. 😵

So, I've just had a look into the source of dgvsetup and found that the vertical positions of those buttons (actually the window they reside on) are hardcoded. What I don't understand is that the main setup dialog is resized to larger size than the default in your case, how can it be? That dialog isn't resizeable. I tried to fiddle with window-appearance by changing the font size in the control panel, etc., that might have an effect on this, but that affected only the nonclient area of the windows, as expected. 😐
This needs more investigation. 😊

Reply 293 of 341, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

To streamline the sequence I've been using for this:

after VDMSound 2.1.0 and dgVoodoo are installed, then vddloader.dll copied and glide2x.dll moved to \windows\system32,
then in dgvoodoosetup it's platform=dos, language=English 😉
glide dll to be searched for in system32 dir, vesa tab: use vesa support
in cmd window type
dosdrv
dgvesa
and there you go, see attached screenshot of VVV sign

now for instance to play Tomb Raider 1, you don't want to use the vlp shortcut, just go ahead at the prompt launching the exe and it runs fullscreen with fmv's and sound and all (except for music).

You can either use dgVoodoo v1.40 or v1.50 with Direct3D9.

Attachments

• Vista Vesa Visa.jpg
    Filename
    Vista Vesa Visa.jpg
    File size
    41.38 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by gidierre on 2009-01-10, 20:44. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 294 of 341, by daan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was trying to play Carmageddon 1 on XP with VDMSound and using dgvoodoo 1.40 and 1.50beta. When I'm starting a new race after choosing position, game freezes, screen goes black. I can only reset PC. I have Radeon 9700 and newest catalyst 8.3. Can you help me?

Reply 295 of 341, by Nil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!
DgVoodoo allows to run Dos games in Vista, but not all. DeDe, Maybe you would have improved the VGA modes(and VGA X)? if not almost all games (except Blood) paints a bad picture. Here's an example: Redguard
I use DgVoodoo 1.50b2

Attachments

• Redguard.jpg
    Filename
    Redguard.jpg
    File size
    13.14 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 296 of 341, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just a thought after a long silence...

I don't really know what the situation is as to glide wappers nowadays. Are they still used by the retro gamer community, and would be cool to develop them, or, theirs era is getting over now with win Vista and 64bit systems?

Speaking about dgVoodoo and having look at this thread I can see a lot of unsolved problems and unanswered questions. They aren't going to be solved and answered since I haven't put any effort into dgv for a long time.
It's just gathering dust.

So, my question (now, in 2008 😁): is/are there anybody here who are a 'fanatic' 😁 and (still) being interested in developing it further? If so, I would open its source, and simply speaking, good luck with it. (of course, I could give explanations if required.) 😀

(Altough I should revamp it a little bit before that, I mean, clear and comment the source, etc., but I think it wouldn't be that big problem.)

Reply 297 of 341, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well old games are getting any more compatible that's for sure. I do use dgvoodoo alot in my compatibility list. (Although admittedly I use Zeckensack more so it works more often).

The best part of DgVoodoo is the glide support for DOS games which of course Zeckensack doesn't support.

I bet the dev of GliDOS would be interested in the code. Not sure if he's working on both OpenGlide and PSVoodoo or just PSVoodoo now.

Now if we could just get the Zeckensack source......

Reply 298 of 341, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gidierre wrote:

now for instance to play Tomb Raider 1, you don't want to use the vlp shortcut, just go ahead at the prompt launching the exe and it runs fullscreen with fmv's and sound and all (except for music).

I know this is pretty late, but I wanted to offer a suggestion.

I may be way off-base since I've never used VDMSound and never run TR under anything other than 98, but as I recall, the music is stored as tracks on the CD. You need the CD in whatever drive is designated as the default CD audio drive in the multimedia prefs. When I first played TR, the main menu was silent, but I didn't realize anything was wrong until I got to the FMV with Larson(?), which was obviously supposed to have dialog, but didn't. After changing which drive the CD was in, the audio suddenly played. It was then that I discovered that Windows has a prefs setting for which drive is used for CD audio. If it's not the drive that the TR CD is in, the music doesn't play.

Reply 299 of 341, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's not Windows. It's the game. Alot of older games only look for the game CD in the first CDROM since they don't expect there to be more than 1 CDROM in a system.