VOGONS

Common searches

Interstate '76

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 44 of 105, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I did it for you. Just click the link.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 47 of 105, by B-Cekk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Miki Maus wrote:

For those of you who hate lowering sound acceleration everytime you want to play I'76 I've found out that only two click sounds in menu cause the game to freeze, so by invalidating those two sounds you'll lose menu click sounds but the game should work fine with full sound acceleration.

Search for last to RIFF strings in Database.mw2 and change them to something else, ie. PIFF. 😎

As for problem with car speeds and game AI, I don' know solution. I don't have that problem on P6 @ 1.6GHz.

Hi Miki,
You posted on here

For those of you who hate lowering sound acceleration everytime you want to play I'76 I've found out that only two click sounds in menu cause the game to freeze, so by invalidating those two sounds you'll lose menu click sounds but the game should work fine with full sound acceleration.

Search for last to RIFF strings in Database.mw2 and change them to something else, ie. PIFF. Cool

Can you clarify something for me?

How do you open Database.mw2? Do you just use notepad.exe or is there a toolkit I need to use?

Thanks,
B-Cekk

Reply 49 of 105, by B-Cekk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Miki Maus wrote:

To B-Cekk: Any hex editor will do.

Miki,
Thanks for the reply.

I made the changes as you suggested and it seems to work great.
P.S. Searched for the last 2 RIFF strings in the Nitro Pack database and it worked there also.

I now have 1 last question: How do I enable 800x600 for either D3D or Glide/3Dfx?

I have installed the original game and then applied the 1.2 gold patch. However, I am locked at 640x480.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
B-Cekk

Reply 50 of 105, by Miki Maus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm glad it works for you too. 😎
Didn't find a way to change resolution in game, I guess devs were lazy to include more resolutions in D3D and Glide mode. 😵
But you can use glide wrappers that support custom resolutions. 😁

Reply 51 of 105, by B-Cekk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Miki, again, thank you for your help.

I want to document this for others, so that they don't have the same issues I did trying to track all of this down.

Installing Interstate 76 for Windows XP:
Step by Step instructions:

1) Install Interstate 76 (original game, 2 CDs)
2) Download and install the Gold edition (version 1.2) patch (i76gpat16.exe) (Currently available here)
3.1) Download dgvoodoo from here
3.2) Unzip all dgvoodoo files into your Interstate 76 directory (C:\Program Files\Activision\Interstate76 by default)
3.3) Run dgvoodoosetup.exe and change the screen resolution to 1024x768 or whatever you like. Close dgvoodoosetup (Click OK)
4.1) Open Database.MW2 in a hex editor or file editor (Notepad++ is free and fast)
4.2) Press Ctrl+End to jump to the end of the file (Or scroll all the way down)
4.3) Click Edit-> Find and search for the word "riff" with the direction "up"
4.4.1) ignore "Patrick Griffith" and find next, which looks like "mŒzrRIFFè"
4.4.2) change this to "mŒzrPIFFè"
4.5.1) Find the next "riff" string (searching up) which looks like "[NUL]RIFF:[SOH][NUL]"
4.5.2) Change this to "[NUL]PIFF:[SOH][NUL]"

At this point, the game runs great for me.
-----------------
Creating a Shortcut:
From what I can tell, the following command line arguments are available for forcing a particular graphics mode:

-glide = This forces glide/3dfx
-d3d = this forces Direct3d
-software = software mode
-powervr (?) = haven't tried this, but I think it will force powervr

With these switches you can create a shortcut and do not have to run splash.exe

------------------------------------
Optional/As-needed settings:
1) Right-click on the Splach.exe and I76.exe files and change compatibility mode to "Windows98" (You can also try "Windows 95")
Compatibility Note: Microsoft's Compatibility Administrator database
here
states that compatibiity modes are not necessary, just:

IgnoreException This compatibility fix causes the applicatio nto ignore certain specified exceptions. By default, the only excep […]
Show full quote

IgnoreException
This compatibility fix causes the applicatio nto ignore certain specified
exceptions. By default, the only exceptions ignored are privileged mode
instructions, but any exception can be ignored with this compatibility fix.
Applies to: Windows 95, Windows 98

You can try downloading this toolkit and running i76.exe through it to try to resolve compatibility issues.

2) Disable sound acceleration - this is not necessary with Miki's RIFF
changes to the Database.mw2, but you can try it.
Control Panel ->
Sounds and Audio Devices (Classic View) ->
Advanced Speaker Settings (button) ->
Move Hardware Acceleration Slider to far left (Performance Tab)

3) Disable Direct X Acceleration - (Start -> Run "dxdiag.exe") and look through the tabs.

-----------------------------------------------
Update:
Mission 13 Crash Fix:
----------------------------------------------
Ok here is the fix for anyone having a problem with I76 crashing after
the 12th mission. This is where is says you are unconscious and you
only have the option to save bookmark or next mission. (no salvage)

Official response from Activision rep:
"This problem can be fixed by retrieving the I76shell.dll from the 1.06 or
1.08 patch for the original I76 W95. Do not install the 1.06 patch to
the Gold Edition! It will crash. Instead, extract the 1.06 patch to a
new folder. Copy the I76shell.dll file to the Gold Edition directory.
Only 1 file will be replaced.

I tested Gold i76 using the "i76shell.dll" file from the 1.083 patch.
It worked! I was able to get into the 13th level without a page fault
crash. Be sure to back up the original .dll file though before doing this.
The Gold edition will crash on Instant Melees with 1.08 .dll file installed.
I would only use the 1.08 file temporarily for the purpose of gaining access to the 13th level.

I found this in the *very* old i76 newsgroup posts.
If you have other issues with i76 crashing, I highly suggest looking here:
http://groups.google.com/groups/search?num=10 … hes&qt_s=Search

End Update
-----------------------------------------

Thats all I can think of at this point...

Good luck and when you get the game running: "Don't get out of the car"
B-Cekk

Last edited by B-Cekk on 2007-12-01, 17:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 52 of 105, by Targaff

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is 2K right out for I76? Whenever I try to install I get "_INS0432_MP.exe has generated errors" after the registration screen. It appears to be an installshield bug.

Intel CC820 | PIII 667 | 2x128MB SDRAM | 3Dfx Voodoo 5 5500 @ Dell P790 | Creative SB PCI128 | Fujitsu MPC3064AT 6GB + QUANTUM FIREBALLlct10 10 GB | SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-608 | IOMEGA ZIP 100 | Realtek RTL8139C | Agere Win Modem

Reply 53 of 105, by B-Cekk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Targaff wrote:

Is 2K right out for I76? Whenever I try to install I get "_INS0432_MP.exe has generated errors" after the registration screen. It appears to be an installshield bug.

I think there is a work-around:
Use the Microsoft Compatibility Administrator database to run your installation.

Look for the download link above, its call the Application Compatibility Toolkit 5.0.

After you install it, run the Compatibility Administrator and there is a list of applications. Find Interstate 76 and try to run your install through that. There is a specific entry for _INS0432_MP.exe

If you cannot, try setting the setup.exe on the CD to run in Windows 98/95 compatibility mode.

B-Cekk

Reply 54 of 105, by Targaff

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Compatibility Administrator doesn't exist in 2k, in the latest iterations at least. "This administration tool provides an interface for working with the compatibility data and features on Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 operating systems." says the ACT website. "ACT (5.0) does not support [..] the Microsoft Windows® 2000 Professional operating system and earlier versions" clarifies Technet, not at all helpfully. Anyone happen to know the latest version of ACT that does anything of any use in 2k?

Compatibility mode for the setup.exe doesn't work, incidentally, I've already tried it.

Intel CC820 | PIII 667 | 2x128MB SDRAM | 3Dfx Voodoo 5 5500 @ Dell P790 | Creative SB PCI128 | Fujitsu MPC3064AT 6GB + QUANTUM FIREBALLlct10 10 GB | SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-608 | IOMEGA ZIP 100 | Realtek RTL8139C | Agere Win Modem

Reply 55 of 105, by B-Cekk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Targaff wrote:

Anyone happen to know the latest version of ACT that does anything of any use in 2k?

Unfortunately, I do not know.

However, I did see a file called i76setup.zip that may or may not work
It appears that might be a manual setup?? not really sure
I would say "try it and see"
http://www.rose.ne.jp/~andoyan/inter76/faq.htm
Google can translate the japanese
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&s … %3DEnV%26sa%3DX

If that does not work, I would suggest a manual install:
Copy the files directly off of the CD into your I76 Directory and run the game. I could not find any registry entries that affected the game at all, so all you need are the files.

I have attached a file list from my install, but note that I have applied the 1.06 patch, 1.083 patch and then the gold patch, so there are extra files listed... just ignore those if they are not on the CD.

B-Cekk

Attachments

• Filename
    i76files.txt
    File size
    21.41 KiB
    Downloads
    753 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 56 of 105, by Targaff

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the help, I'll give it a try soon and let you know.

Reply 57 of 105, by Targaff

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hrm, it starts off well but then about halfway through it quits with a "cannot find file" error. Shame there's no indication as to what file it's struggling with... I may ask a friend to have a look at the text files that come with it.

I tried to copy the files manually but only got so far - I had all of substantive files so far as I could tell, but it still crashed. I also suspect there is in fact a registry entry of some sort made by the installer, because the patch can tell whether or not the game is installed (in fact, on checking the translated Japanese page it's clear that it does make registry entries). I guess the only way to really find out is to do a clean install on 9x and run one of those programs that detects any/all changes a given install makes...

Reply 58 of 105, by MajorHavoc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The Ultimate Solution fella's!

I76 working on XP ----p4 3.0 GHZ 2GB RAM

Go to Control Panel -
click -Regional and Language options
click "advanced" tab

pull down menu and select "Engish (United Kingdom)"

Click - OK
You might need you XP disc for a file & then reboot.

Install I76 from disc.

Apply "76v1081.exe " patch ONLY!!!!!
Run in D3D mode
Correct AI
No sound problems.

Gold patch appears to have sound issue and AI issues

Playing this with dual joysticks (scph-1110 w. USB converter)
Using hatswitch to aim out windows