VOGONS

First post, by crackalackn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

Is it possible that dgvoodoo2 will take advantage of 2 GPU's and use them on same game? For example, if I have (2) RTX 3080 Ti. Given the description to "use / enable" and "all of them" being an option, it seems obvious that it would, but also a little too good to be true. Seeing how these cards can't be bridged. Yet if dgvoodoo2 can use both cards simultaneously on one application it is effectively bridging them. At least for older games.

I don't have a 2nd card but am considering buying a used one from a friend if this is possible. Otherwise I would have tested it already to see.

My goal is to increase performance while using antialiasing. Right now I have it turned off because of the hit to FPS but would like to have it on.

Reply 1 of 7, by feda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It can only use one card at a time AFAIK.
But what older game are you trying to play that doesn't run well with anti-aliasing on a 3080?? And what framerates are you expecting?
That card should easily handle any game made before Crysis with high anti-aliasing.

Reply 2 of 7, by crackalackn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
feda wrote on 2024-05-16, 15:14:

But what older game are you trying to play that doesn't run well with anti-aliasing on a 3080?? And what framerates are you expecting?
That card should easily handle any game made before Crysis with high anti-aliasing.

Final Fantasy 11. Unfortunately with AA on the frames will drop quite a bit in busy areas. Without AA it's pretty much always capped at 60 fps except in busy areas with lots of spells or animations going on it will drop to 45. With AA it goes much lower to the 20's or 30's during lots of in game activity. I have read that FFXI is more CPU dependent than GPU dependent so maybe that is why the 3080 doesn't help much.

Reply 3 of 7, by crackalackn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I do use anisotropic filtering X16 when trying the antialiasing so I will try anisotropic filtering X4 and antialiasing to see if I can gain some performance.

Reply 4 of 7, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
crackalackn wrote on 2024-05-15, 15:18:
Hello, […]
Show full quote

Hello,

Is it possible that dgvoodoo2 will take advantage of 2 GPU's and use them on same game? For example, if I have (2) RTX 3080 Ti. Given the description to "use / enable" and "all of them" being an option, it seems obvious that it would, but also a little too good to be true. Seeing how these cards can't be bridged. Yet if dgvoodoo2 can use both cards simultaneously on one application it is effectively bridging them. At least for older games.

I don't have a 2nd card but am considering buying a used one from a friend if this is possible. Otherwise I would have tested it already to see.

My goal is to increase performance while using antialiasing. Right now I have it turned off because of the hit to FPS but would like to have it on.

"Use/Enable" has different meanings: "Use" is for Glide, to specify which GPU (and monitor) to use, and "Enable" is for DX, to specify which GPU(s) you enables to be seen by the applications.

dgVoodoo cannot split one (linear) command list between multiple GPU's. Only (maybe) the image presentation post process steps could be outsourced to an idle GPU but MSAA (if that's what you meant) is not even a post process step. 😐

GPU's are exposed to the application and one GPU can be driven through one implicit command queue. So, it's up to the application if it drives multiple GPU's or not (they typically don't, but they let the user choose which one to use).

What you want is "2 physical GPU's appearing as 1 logical GPU": that's what e.g. nvidia SLI technology is about, but honestly, I don't know if it is still an exisiting thing or it faded away by the advent of implicit graphics API's (DX12/Vulkan) (which supports more than one "command queues", making it very problematic if not impossible, or simply unnecessary to implement them on an SLI GPU configuration).

Reply 5 of 7, by feda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
crackalackn wrote on 2024-05-16, 15:45:

I do use anisotropic filtering X16 when trying the antialiasing so I will try anisotropic filtering X4 and antialiasing to see if I can gain some performance.

Aniso should have practically no performance impact. You can keep it at x16.
But isn't FF11 still receiving updates, so it should be fully compatible with modern GPUs?
So Dgv isn't really necessary.
You could force anti-aliasing methods via nvidia inspector.

Reply 6 of 7, by crackalackn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote on 2024-05-18, 10:39:
"Use/Enable" has different meanings: "Use" is for Glide, to specify which GPU (and monitor) to use, and "Enable" is for DX, to s […]
Show full quote
crackalackn wrote on 2024-05-15, 15:18:
Hello, […]
Show full quote

Hello,

"Use/Enable" has different meanings: "Use" is for Glide, to specify which GPU (and monitor) to use, and "Enable" is for DX, to specify which GPU(s) you enables to be seen by the applications.

dgVoodoo cannot split one (linear) command list between multiple GPU's. Only (maybe) the image presentation post process steps could be outsourced to an idle GPU but MSAA (if that's what you meant) is not even a post process step. 😐

GPU's are exposed to the application and one GPU can be driven through one implicit command queue. So, it's up to the application if it drives multiple GPU's or not (they typically don't, but they let the user choose which one to use).

What you want is "2 physical GPU's appearing as 1 logical GPU": that's what e.g. nvidia SLI technology is about, but honestly, I don't know if it is still an exisiting thing or it faded away by the advent of implicit graphics API's (DX12/Vulkan) (which supports more than one "command queues", making it very problematic if not impossible, or simply unnecessary to implement them on an SLI GPU configuration).

Thank you for the detailed reply! I didn't think it was possible but wanted to be sure.

Reply 7 of 7, by crackalackn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
feda wrote on 2024-05-18, 19:05:
Aniso should have practically no performance impact. You can keep it at x16. But isn't FF11 still receiving updates, so it shoul […]
Show full quote
crackalackn wrote on 2024-05-16, 15:45:

Aniso should have practically no performance impact. You can keep it at x16.
But isn't FF11 still receiving updates, so it should be fully compatible with modern GPUs?
So Dgv isn't really necessary.
You could force anti-aliasing methods via nvidia inspector.

It is receiving updates but just content not any performance or graphics updates. Those are all the same since it's launch. Without dgvoodoo2 you can't use anisotrophic X16 and there is a lot of aliasing. It also provides a bit more performance.

I will try forcing anti aliasing with nvidia inspector. Thank you for the suggestion.