VOGONS

First post, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is a post here on Vogons but it is very old, could you tell me the fastest mainboard that can support IDE disks and Floppy drives under Win10?

Thanks

Reply 3 of 15, by wbahnassi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ASRock Fatality Professional P67:

https://www.asrock.com/mb/intel/fatal1ty%20p6 … 20professional/

Would be nice to put this against my HP Z400 Xeon workstation, which has floppy but no IDE. It would also be nice if the ASRock could boot from M.2 on a PCIE card.

Reply 4 of 15, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wbahnassi wrote on 2024-05-18, 07:01:

ASRock Fatality Professional P67:

https://www.asrock.com/mb/intel/fatal1ty%20p6 … 20professional/

Would be nice to put this against my HP Z400 Xeon workstation, which has floppy but no IDE. It would also be nice if the ASRock could boot from M.2 on a PCIE card.

Is extremely expensive for such a old board.... the asrock P67/P77 are the only series that have a (relatevely) fast cpu, and floppy + ide + modern connection?

Reply 6 of 15, by Minutemanqvs

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just for my understanding, why do you need an IDE port in such a recent computer? To transfer files easily to old HDDs?

Searching a Nexgen Nx586 with FPU, PM me if you have one. I have some Athlon MP systems and cookies.

Reply 7 of 15, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Asrock Fatality Z77 Pro has IDE and floppy (only 3.5" 1.44Mb support iirc). One sold a few weeks ago for $45 on fleebay

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 8 of 15, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Minutemanqvs wrote on 2024-05-18, 15:05:

Just for my understanding, why do you need an IDE port in such a recent computer? To transfer files easily to old HDDs?

For testing all the ide drive that i have and for install, copy file from ide drive coming from a new computer that will arrive,. i have used external usb cradle, but the last creep chinese cheep destroy and 300Mb IBM drive that cost a fortune on ebay. so i have say STOP to the cheep cinese cradle. And about the floppy is the fast and easy way to transfer file to a 286->486 computer.

Reply 9 of 15, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Horun wrote on 2024-05-18, 17:05:

The Asrock Fatality Z77 Pro has IDE and floppy (only 3.5" 1.44Mb support iirc). One sold a few weeks ago for $45 on fleebay

and shipping from usa to eu double this cost, at least...

Reply 10 of 15, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes shipping would be expensive. These are the only soc 1155 boards found so far with IDE and Floppy:
Asrock P67 Transformer, Asrock Fatal1ty P67 Professional Performance, Asrock Fatal1ty Z68 Professional Gen3, Asrock Fatal1ty Z77 Professional
There are some AMD AM3 boards like jakethompson described and the Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 11 of 15, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is there a reason you need it built into a motherboard? You can get a PCIe 1x IDE adapter for under $25 USD.

For floppies, 3.5" USB floppy drives are fine, but if you are concerned, there are USB to floppy board you'd then connect a known quality drive to to read the disks. 5 1/4" floppy adapters do exist, but will be difficult to source. And it's very the later motherboards you are looking will only support 3.5" drives as well.

Reply 12 of 15, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SScorpio wrote on 2024-05-18, 22:41:

Is there a reason you need it built into a motherboard? You can get a PCIe 1x IDE adapter for under $25 USD.

For floppies, 3.5" USB floppy drives are fine, but if you are concerned, there are USB to floppy board you'd then connect a known quality drive to to read the disks. 5 1/4" floppy adapters do exist, but will be difficult to source. And it's very the later motherboards you are looking will only support 3.5" drives as well.

It's more that the only support one drive, than only supporting 3.5

Reply 13 of 15, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Most BIOS's can handle more than one USB floppy drive simultaneously. The BIOS will assign drive letters in order as though they were attached to a real floppy controller. NT-based Windows will also handle multiple USB floppy drives and you can assign any drive letter you like (other than the drive letter assigned to the boot drive).

Reply 14 of 15, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes a know that. I currently have an old AMD 5400 which is terribly slow and has nothing built in. I tried a pci-e IDE card but it works terribly. Furthermore, my retrogame station tries to be as tidy as possible and I don't like having all these USB peripherals that I unplug/plug in very much. I would really like a case with everything integrated: the floppy drive (where when the heads for old disks get dirty I open it and clean it while I would throw away the USB one) the IDE drawer (maybe the diagnostic tools work today or don't work when you connect an HD via USB)… for this whole series of reasons

Reply 15 of 15, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AlessandroB wrote on 2024-05-19, 05:18:

Yes a know that. I currently have an old AMD 5400 which is terribly slow and has nothing built in. I tried a pci-e IDE card but it works terribly. Furthermore, my retrogame station tries to be as tidy as possible and I don't like having all these USB peripherals that I unplug/plug in very much. I would really like a case with everything integrated: the floppy drive (where when the heads for old disks get dirty I open it and clean it while I would throw away the USB one) the IDE drawer (maybe the diagnostic tools work today or don't work when you connect an HD via USB)… for this whole series of reasons

I've always found USB flaky as long as it has existed, up to today when I have a USB-C ethernet adapter on a work laptop that randomly disconnects sometimes, so I agree with always using a more permanent alternative when one is available