VOGONS

First post, by Cursed Derp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Heyyyo
Before I begin I want to say that I only need help getting the DOS version of Quake to function. I do not need any source port reccomendations.

Quake runs on my Windows 98SE pc, but way too fast. Throttle doesn't slow anything down properly for me. I tried to run Quake in pure dos and it just crashes with an error message about a page fault.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Attachments

• 20240519_083506.jpg
    Filename
    20240519_083506.jpg
    File size
    1.33 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    The error
    File license
    Public domain

I am as smooth as a gravy train with flaming biscuit wheels.

Reply 1 of 10, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cursed Derp wrote on 2024-05-19, 12:35:
Heyyyo Before I begin I want to say that I only need help getting the DOS version of Quake to function. I do not need any source […]
Show full quote

Heyyyo
Before I begin I want to say that I only need help getting the DOS version of Quake to function. I do not need any source port reccomendations.

Quake runs on my Windows 98SE pc, but way too fast. Throttle doesn't slow anything down properly for me. I tried to run Quake in pure dos and it just crashes with an error message about a page fault.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Try starting it with "quake -nosound" .

See Re: I tested several pci video cards for picture quality in dos games.

Reply 2 of 10, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hello.

About the page fault in pure DOS: How are the CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT settings? Which version of Quake do you have? Does the sound device work? Are you using the latest version of CWSDPMI?

I know that you don't need any source port recommendations but there is one for DOS called QIP Quake that is very faithful to the original executable and doesn't have speed issues.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 5 of 10, by elszgensa

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can't say either way, but GOG has been known to not care a lot about anything but the single version that most people would be running - which in this case would likely be glQuake (or whatever port they included), not the DOS one. So do check that.

Reply 6 of 10, by Cursed Derp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

BREAKING NEWS!!! Quake runs exceptionally when I turn off sound in pure DOS. The only problem is... the lack of sound. Is there any way to fix the sound issue? My sound card has been known to crash games. I had to patch out the echo effects in Blood to get it to work recently. Could something similar be happening to Quake? Is a certain sound system or effect crashing it? I have a SoundBlaster CT4810 PCI. A pretty janky card, all things considered. In the meantime I'll try some of the other solutions and ideas that everyone has suggested. Thank all of ye!

Reply 9 of 10, by Cursed Derp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think my problem is that I don't have proper DOS drivers for my card. I thought I did but I guess I don't. I'll install the SB PCI drivers from the driver library.

Reply 10 of 10, by Cursed Derp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got sound fully working in DOS mode! Things were a little wonky because I uses the tutorial from Phil's Computer Lab for the DOS Starter Pack, but eventually I got the Autoexec to find and install the drivers on pure DOS startup. Thank all of ye for all your help